Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

AmEx Delta Gold Card

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: AmEx Delta Gold Card

I just got this one!! Took for ever to ship though. Ended up flying with out it then they gave credit for boarding etc. Nice of Delta. They only issue is no flights to Northern Cali which might cause me to get a United Card I get slate offers all the Time. Delta is Great for going any where east or NSY or DWT

Message 11 of 15
Epcot
Valued Contributor

Congrats on the approval and nice CL!

Starting Score: EQ 717 EX 724 TU 736
Current Score: EQ 849 EX 835 TU 841
Message 12 of 15
nickn86
Contributor

It's not a bad card.  You should read up a little bit online about redeeming SkyMiles, as it can be a bit of a pain edit, but deals can be found.  You should probably never use the "Pay With Miles" feature on Delta.com, because that will only value miles at a cent apiece and will tie the value of your award flight to the price of the ticket.  Instead, use the "book award flight" and try to book the lowest mile flight (for domestic economy that's 25,000 miles roundtrip, which can be often be redeemed on $400+ tickets).  Frequent flyer gurus usually think that Delta's miles are best used on redeeming for business/first class and usually internationally.

One underrated feature of this card I think is the $25 lounge access.  If you don't have status or an Amex Platinum card it's usually $50, which is a little too steep.  However, last week I was travelling with my girlfriend and we used this card to get in to the Skyclub at O'Hare and JFK and the $25 each was worth it since we were drinking, using wifi, etc...  Essentially that feature along with me checking a bag saved me the value of the annual fee in one shot.  Once the annual fee comes due I will probably upgrade to Platinum for the free companion ticket.

-edited to keep it "G" rated   --pizzadude, myFICO mod

Chase Sapphire Preferred - 5.6k (3/13) | Amex Premier Rewards Gold - NPSL (1/13) | Chase United MileagePlus Explorer Visa Signature - 9k (1/13) | Amex Delta Gold - 6k (9/12) | Citi Forward Visa - 10k (10/12) | Discover It - 2k (2/12) | Chase +1 Visa - $300 (2/11)
Message 13 of 15
ryanbush
Valued Contributor

@nickn86 wrote:

It's not a bad card.  You should read up a little bit online about redeeming SkyMiles, as it can be a bit of a pain edit, but deals can be found.  You should probably never use the "Pay With Miles" feature on Delta.com, because that will only value miles at a cent apiece and will tie the value of your award flight to the price of the ticket.  Instead, use the "book award flight" and try to book the lowest mile flight (for domestic economy that's 25,000 miles roundtrip, which can be often be redeemed on $400+ tickets).  Frequent flyer gurus usually think that Delta's miles are best used on redeeming for business/first class and usually internationally.

One underrated feature of this card I think is the $25 lounge access.  If you don't have status or an Amex Platinum card it's usually $50, which is a little too steep.  However, last week I was travelling with my girlfriend and we used this card to get in to the Skyclub at O'Hare and JFK and the $25 each was worth it since we were drinking, using wifi, etc...  Essentially that feature along with me checking a bag saved me the value of the annual fee in one shot.  Once the annual fee comes due I will probably upgrade to Platinum for the free companion ticket.

-edited to keep it "G" rated   --pizzadude, myFICO mod

the extra 55$ for the companion ticket is a no brainer if you're like me and have to buy two tickets instread of one every time Smiley Wink

also the ability to earn MQMs is nice

Chase Sapphire Perferred | Chase Freedom | AMEX Platinum | AMEX Delta Platinum | AMEX SPG | Capital One Venture | Capital One Quicksliver | Discover IT | ABFCU Visa | Citi AA WEMC
Message 14 of 15
HiLine
Blogger

@nickn86 wrote:

Instead, use the "book award flight" and try to book the lowest mile flight (for domestic economy that's 25,000 miles roundtrip, which can be often be redeemed on $400+ tickets).  Frequent flyer gurus usually think that Delta's miles are best used on redeeming for business/first class and usually internationally.

Redeeming Skymiles for lower tier level award tickets is almost impossible. For domestric flights, paying with points is basically your only option unless you book a year in advance. International flights are a little easier to find award tickets for, but still very difficult; booking through their travel partners is probably the best option here...

Message 15 of 15
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.