cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

AmEx Maximum amount of lending products?

tag
Josh2942
Established Contributor

AmEx Maximum amount of lending products?

This is about an application for the Blue business cash but I put here because it relates to regular credit cards. I have a blue for business card I've had for about 6 years now. I've been rocking the Chase trifecta but now I've decided to move my spend to American Express. The plan was to get a new card every 6 months. The blue cash, Delta reserve, gold charge, and platinum charge. I have 5 cards with Amex. Going back to 2013. I have the everyday, blue cash everyday, blue for business, and two identical Hilton cards. I had one from back when Citi also had the card. The application for the blue business was appproved but I have to close one of my personal cards to open it. The representative said it's not a matter of credit limit but total cards. Obviously it's easy to close one of my duplicate Hilton's but Other than that I don't want to close some of my oldest accounts. Luckily the rep said charge cards aren't included. Has anyone else run up against this issue before?

Jaguar F-Type R Loan 50K Balance
Goldman Sachs Signature Loan $29,000 TU 750 score pulled at time of loan.
Student Loan Debt $1,500
Credit Card Debt $300 1>% of $166,700
FAKO Transunion 723 Equifax 744
What's in my wallet? Chase Sapphire Reserve, Chase Freedom Unlimited, and AMEX Blue for Business
Message 1 of 27
26 REPLIES 26
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: AmEx Maximum amount of lending products?

This is a known cap with most Amex members. There have been some able to bypass their # of cards 'rule' but it's one of those YMMV situations.

Message 2 of 27
coldfusion
Community Leader
Mega Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

This is a known cap with most Amex members. There have been some able to bypass their # of cards 'rule' but it's one of those YMMV situations.

Yes, very much YMMV.  Some people got a 6th revolver by virtue of the Hilton portfolio migration from Citi to AMEX, occasionally someone has a profile that AMEX likes enough to grant a 6th or even 7th card.  There are a few members here with more than 5 active AMEX revolvers.

(3/2024)
FICO 8 (EX) 846 (TU) 850 (EQ) 850
FICO 9 (EX) 850 (TU) 850 (EQ) 850

$1M+ club

Artist formerly known as the_old_curmudgeon who was formerly known as coldfusion
Message 3 of 27
AverageJoesCredit
Legendary Contributor

Im average and i have 5 revolversSmiley Wink

Message 4 of 27
wasCB14
Super Contributor

@FinStaris somewhere around 12 revolvers...but with unusually high income and scores.

The exact criteria for exceeding 5 without the Hilton loophole or anything similar aren't clear.

Personal spend: Amex Gold, Amex Schwab Plat., BofA PR+CCR(x2), Costco
Business use: Amex Bus. Plat., BBP, Lowes Amex AU, CFU AU
Perks: Delta Plat., United Explorer, IHG49, Hyatt, "Old SPG"
Mostly SD: Freedom Flex, Freedom, Arrival
Upgrade/Downgrade games: ED, BCE
SUB chasing: AA Platinum Select
Message 5 of 27
JNA1
Valued Contributor

So I gotta ask Joe - Whydontchu have your cards listed in your sig? Is it because of the time it would take to list them or fear that the MyFico servers would crash??? Smiley Wink Smiley Happy
Our credit card journey started 3/2018

Hover over cards to see limits and usage. Total CL - $584,600. Cash Back and SUBs earned as of 9/1/22- $15292.65
CU Memberships

Goal Cards:

Message 6 of 27
AverageJoesCredit
Legendary Contributor

@JNA1 wrote:
So I gotta ask Joe - Whydontchu have your cards listed in your sig? Is it because of the time it would take to list them or fear that the MyFico servers would crash??? Smiley Wink Smiley Happy

I used to have them. Id go through a bad spell and take it out on my siggySmiley Wink. I normally paid @UncleB and @Anonymous in kudos to build mine lol. Im not adverse to putting one back but there has to be a demand lolSmiley Wink

Message 7 of 27
M_Smart007
Legendary Contributor

@AverageJoesCredit wrote:

Im average and i have 5 revolversSmiley Wink

Regular gunslingerSmiley Very Happy

Message 8 of 27
Anonymous
Not applicable

@JNA1 wrote:

I used to have them. Id go through a bad spell and take it out on my siggySmiley Wink. I normally paid @UncleB and @Anonymous in kudos to build mine lol. Im not adverse to putting one back but there has to be a demand lolSmiley Wink

@AverageJoesCredit  There was always demand, you just like the back and forth of having it and not having it. 

I have 6 revolvers, basic income and was under 680 EX8 when i got most of them in the past year a half.   Just depends on how Amex feels about your profile when you app i guess.   the last four i did same day double approvals, so that might have factored into getting 6. 

Message 9 of 27
M_Smart007
Legendary Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@JNA1 wrote:

@AverageJoesCredit  There was always demand, you just like the back and forth of having it and not having it. 

I have 6 revolvers, basic income and was under 680 EX8 when i got most of them in the past year a half.   Just depends on how Amex feels about your profile when you app i guess.   the last four i did same day double approvals, so that might have factored into getting 6. 

And how many browser windows did you have open at onceSmiley Surprised    ..JK

Message 10 of 27
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.