cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

AmEx PC/Downgrades and how not to apply for AmEx cards..

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

AmEx PC/Downgrades and how not to apply for AmEx cards..

April of last year I applied for a AmEx card.  I forget which card came first, but long story short I ended up with five.  OCD and credit are a very bad combination, but I read that there was no hard pull for accounts on the same day, and I had a business, so.. I have a Biz Platinum (NPSL), Biz Gold Rewards (NPSL), Everyday Cash (1000), Blue Everyday (1000) and a PRG (NPSL).

Now that the annual fees are coming due and I am much better educated (thanks to this site, primarily), I am curious what my best options are for downgrading/product changing.

The Blue Everyday can go, as long as I have someplace to put my MR points at the end of the shuffle.  I would ideally like to merge it into the EDC but that's a no-go since the limits are so low and they absolutely refuse to give me a CLI (after 12 months of perfect payment history, and roughly 100 pt boost to my FICO).  The Biz Platinum is nice, so I'm not opposed to keeping it -- but I'd like a retention bonus (if possible).  Can I downgrade to the Blue Business, drop the Blue Everyday, PRG and Biz Gold? 

Anyone have a suggestion or two?  I'm trying to be methodical and smart about it this time. Smiley Happy  

Message 1 of 16
15 REPLIES 15
MrDisco99
Valued Contributor

Re: AmEx PC/Downgrades and how not to apply for AmEx cards..

I don't know what you mean by Blue Everyday and Everyday Cash.  Did you mean the Blue Cash Everyday for one of those?  What about the other one?  Please give us the correct product names so we know what you're working with.

As for downgrading the Biz Plat, you can only downgrade it to another charge card, so like the BGR or the Biz Green.  You cannot convert a charge card to a credit card or vice versa.  You also cannot convert a personal card to a business card.

Message 2 of 16
Anonymous
Not applicable

Sorry, yes.  Blue Cash Everyday and Amex Everyday.  

I was hoping there would be another alternative to the Business Green but apparently you are right, I just ended a chat with a Amex rep who told me the same thing.  

Message 3 of 16
MrDisco99
Valued Contributor

So if you're wanting to get rid of the annual fees, you'll probably have to cancel all the charge cards.  There are no downgrade/PC options for those with no AF.

I'd say there's no reason to cancel the BCE or ED cards as they have no AF so they are basic keeper cards.  They're not costing you anything, and the ED card can be used to hold onto MR points.

The ED card is a decent value, being the only card that earns transferrable points for no AF.  However, if you really want to get serious about earning MR points, the EDP and/or one of the gold or plat charge cards is the way to go.  It doesn't take much to earn more value on those cards than you're paying in fees.

You'll need to do some cost benefit analysis for yourself and figure out what the break even point is for you on fees vs. rewards earning.  This really depends on your spending habits and is different for each person.

Message 4 of 16
Anonymous
Not applicable

anyone have suggestions about downgrading the BCP? way overestimated my grocery shopping power, when do I request for a PC so that I dont have to pay the extra year and still get the signup bonus? i was thinking like at the end of month 11...

Message 5 of 16
Meanmchine
Super Contributor

......"I would ideally like to merge it into the EDC but that's a no-go since the limits are so low and they absolutely refuse to give me a CLI (after 12 months of perfect payment history, and roughly 100 pt boost to my FICO)."

Amex will only allow you only 1 CLI every six months. PERIOD. No matter how many cards you have. Additionally Amex gives  $1000 SL to entry level marginally approved accounts.  These accounts have the possibility of not growing quickly if at all

>3/2016 EX 644 CK-TU 642 CK-EQ 660 WalMart- 671.
>5/2023 All 3 reports 840ish (F8) F9s = 850 but my app finger is still twitching
Message 6 of 16
MrDisco99
Valued Contributor

@Anonymouswrote:

anyone have suggestions about downgrading the BCP? way overestimated my grocery shopping power, when do I request for a PC so that I dont have to pay the extra year and still get the signup bonus? i was thinking like at the end of month 11...

You've paid the fee for the year.  Might as well enjoy 6% back until it's time to renew again.  Call to PC when the next AF hits.

Message 7 of 16
Anonymous
Not applicable

Is it still true that you can only have a total of five Amex cards business/personal combined?  I have run into conflicting posts on the topic.  I have already triple dipped for the airline credit for the charge cards, so they are an easy drop.  I agree about going for the platinum sign up bonuses if/when I get serious about MR so maybe drop the business platinum down to a business green and then upgrade to a personal platinum.

Message 8 of 16
MrDisco99
Valued Contributor

The max 5 rule is specific to revolving credit cards, business and personal combined.  You can have as many charge cards as you want and they do not count toward that rule.

Message 9 of 16
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Meanmchinewrote:

......"I would ideally like to merge it into the EDC but that's a no-go since the limits are so low and they absolutely refuse to give me a CLI (after 12 months of perfect payment history, and roughly 100 pt boost to my FICO)."

Amex will only allow you only 1 CLI every six months. PERIOD. No matter how many cards you have. Additionally Amex gives  $1000 SL to entry level marginally approved accounts.  These accounts have the possibility of not growing quickly if at all

I thought it was 90 days each account and first 61 days for a new account?

Message 10 of 16
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.