Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

AmEx Product Change Disappointment

tag
blossom_rebuilding
Regular Contributor

AmEx Product Change Disappointment

My oldest card (18+ years) is a Blue from American Express. This has an old point structure that can be redeemed for things like gift cards. As a poor college student when I first got this card, that kind of appealed to me; it definitely helped around birthdays and Christmases  (my sisters LOVE gift cards; we used to do group shopping trips all the time). This product was discontinued several years ago, and we all have grown up beyond trips to the mall, needless to say. My rewards preference has been firmly in cash back or statement credit territory for the last several years, so I rarely use the AmEx anymore (they also balanced chased me years ago during my rebuild, and even though my profile has strengthened considerably and balance has decreased, I am never approved for CLIs; this card is probably bucketed).

Anyway, I would love to maximize the grocery cash back options, so I chatted with a customer service rep to see if I could PC to the Blue Cash Everyday card. Unfortunately, the cutomer service rep said that "blue cash everyday is different in rewards structure and benefits, due to which your current card is not compatible". I asked if there are any other products that my current card would be compatible with instead, and the answer was in the negative. I would have to cold app for the Blue Cash Everyday if I really want it. However, I am committed to gardening at least until inquiries related to my most recent card (Chase United MileaguePlus) are 12 months old, which isn't until the Fall. Plus, since this is my oldest card, I would rather just keep it and give it more swipes through a more useful product rather than adding a new card to my wallet.

Just a little bummed because I feel like the last person on the planet still saddled with this card that is of absolutely no use to me or probably anyone anymore, but I know it's not a huge deal; Discover will just keep getting my grocery swipes for now, and the Blue will get my random, irregular Amazon purchases.

Message 1 of 14
13 REPLIES 13
wasCB14
Super Contributor

Re: AmEx Product Change Disappointment

I've heard of at least one case where Amex converted (not at the consumer's request) a Blue card to an EveryDay card (the one that earns 2x MRs on groceries and gives 20% more points after 20 transactions. But they've denied that same request from consumers.

Personal spend: Amex Gold, Amex Schwab Plat., BofA PR+CCR(x2), Costco
Business use: Amex Bus. Plat., BBP, Lowes Amex AU, CFU AU
Perks: Delta Plat., United Explorer, IHG49, Hyatt, "Old SPG"
Mostly SD: Freedom Flex, Freedom, Arrival
Upgrade/Downgrade games: ED, BCE
SUB chasing: AA Platinum Select
Message 2 of 14
K-in-Boston
Credit Mentor

Blue from American Express is also my oldest card that I still have open and I can't bring myself to close it.  The product change requirements are not unique for this card, and it follows the same policy that American Express has for all of its products.  You can change within product families, and only within product families.  You do have the option to change this to EveryDay (ED) or EveryDay Preferred (EDP), as they are also revolving cards that earn Membership Rewards. 

Also, the card has not actually been discontinued, contrary to numerous rumors over the years that it would be.  It is still available for new applications:

https://www.americanexpress.com/us/credit-cards/card/blue/

Edit: Strangely, I see that it's now a set APR of 23.99% for all new applicants.  When I first got mine 18 years ago, it was a 3-tiered APR card depending on creditworthiness and my APR is currently 15.24%.

Message 3 of 14
K-in-Boston
Credit Mentor

@wasCB14 wrote:

I've heard of at least one case where Amex converted (not at the consumer's request) a Blue card to an EveryDay card (the one that earns 2x MRs on groceries and gives 20% more points after 20 transactions. But they've denied that same request from consumers.

Blue can definitely be changed to ED or EDP.  Are you sure this was Blue from American Express and not one of several other discontinued revolving cards with "Blue" in the name?

Message 4 of 14
wasCB14
Super Contributor

@K-in-Boston wrote:

@wasCB14 wrote:

Blue can definitely be changed to ED or EDP.  Are you sure this was Blue from American Express and not one of several other discontinued revolving cards with "Blue" in the name?

I never had Blue so never tried to PC it. But what I heard was that CS reps told customers that the 20-transaction count feature somehow prevented PCs.

I feel confident in my memory, but...

1. This was on the discontinued CCF so I can't go back and verify. It's possible I don't remember it correctly.

2. Even then, we'd just be talking about maybe two datapoints from presumably base-tier CS reps. The reps could have been wrong.

3. It's possible the posters were confused about which cards they had.

So there are definitely ways I could be wrong.

*I was aware of Blue as a different card than Blue Cash and Blue Sky, as well as their Preferred variants.

Personal spend: Amex Gold, Amex Schwab Plat., BofA PR+CCR(x2), Costco
Business use: Amex Bus. Plat., BBP, Lowes Amex AU, CFU AU
Perks: Delta Plat., United Explorer, IHG49, Hyatt, "Old SPG"
Mostly SD: Freedom Flex, Freedom, Arrival
Upgrade/Downgrade games: ED, BCE
SUB chasing: AA Platinum Select
Message 5 of 14
K-in-Boston
Credit Mentor

I've asked a few times, and ED and EDP were both eligible PC options, but neither make any more sense for me than Blue so I just keep it as is for nostalgia.  I just wish I still had my card reader and a serial port so I could use it to make purchases on the World Wide Web.

1701605350_24810131d4_b.jpg

Message 6 of 14
blossom_rebuilding
Regular Contributor

@K-in-Boston wrote:

@wasCB14 wrote:

Yup, I definitely have Blue from American Express; that's what pops up when I click on the image of my card in the corner. It's reward is designated as Membership Rewards Points. The cynical side of me makes me think that PC's might be possible for the general population, but the nature of the balance chasing from something like 8-10 years ago and the bucket is why I am getting the brick wall.

EDIT: @K-in-Boston, I also clicked the link you provided and I got a little notification in the corner that says "Your Card". So there's no mistaking it. My APR is currently something like 16%

Message 7 of 14
FieryDance
Frequent Contributor

@blossom_rebuilding wrote:

@K-in-Boston wrote:

@wasCB14 wrote:

Yup, I definitely have Blue from American Express; that's what pops up when I click on the image of my card in the corner. It's reward is designated as Membership Rewards Points. The cynical side of me makes me think that PC's might be possible for the general population, but the nature of the balance chasing from something like 8-10 years ago and the bucket is why I am getting the brick wall.

I personally know someone who PC'ed a "Blue" to Everyday as recent as late last year.  That "Blue" had an opaque design with a dark blue center square.   Does it sound like what you have?  

Of all the things AmEx is good at, sensible card naming is not one of them. Lol

Message 8 of 14
blossom_rebuilding
Regular Contributor

@FieryDance wrote:

@K-in-Boston wrote:

@wasCB14 wrote:

I personally know someone who PC'ed a "Blue" to Everyday as recent as late last year.  That "Blue" had an opaque design with a dark blue center square.   Does it sound like what you have?  

Yes, this is exactly what I have. Does your friend get cash back or membership reward points? What I would like is cash back, but it didn't even sound like I had another (useless) points PC option available instead. My card is stuck on an island all by itself...

Message 9 of 14
FieryDance
Frequent Contributor

@FieryDance wrote:

@K-in-Boston wrote:

@wasCB14 wrote:

Yes, this is exactly what I have. Does your friend get cash back or membership reward points? What I would like is cash back, but it didn't even sound like I had another (useless) points PC option available instead. My card is stuck on an island all by itself...

Membership Rewards.  I do not believe the Blue can be PC'ed into a cash back card because the Blue, despite its name, is part of the MR core revolver family, not the blue cash core revolver family. 

Message 10 of 14
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.