Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

AmEx Signup Bonuses Reduced/Eliminated?

tag
bribro
Valued Contributor

AmEx Signup Bonuses Reduced/Eliminated?

It seems that AmEx has redesigned their website. At the same time, it looks like the signup bonuses for many cards have been reduced/eliminated. For example, I don't see any mention of a bonus for the BCE/BCP cards anymore. Am I blind?

TU FICO: 800 (2/1/14) | CK Score: 802 (2/1/14) | CS Score: 805 (2/1/14)

J.P. Morgan Palladium ($250k) | AmEx Platinum (NPSL) | AmEx SPG Personal/Business ($50k/$50k) | Citi Executive AAdvantage WEMC ($50k) | Citi Dividend WEMC ($50k) | Chase Sapphire Preferred VS ($50k) | Chase Ink Bold WEMC ($50k Flex) | Chase Ink Plus WEMC ($25k) | Chase Freedom VS ($25k) | Chase Freedom WMC ($25k) | Chase MileagePlus Explorer ($25k) | Chase Southwest RR Plus Business/Personal ($15k/$15k) | Barclays US Airways ($25k) | Barclays Hawaiian Airlines ($25k) | BofA Alaska Airlines ($10k) | Lexus Financial Services ($30k) | Mercedes-Benz Financial Services ($50k)
Message 1 of 14
13 REPLIES 13
bribro
Valued Contributor

Re: AmEx Signup Bonuses Reduced/Eliminated?

It looks like the website changes after you become a member and your browser detects that you've logged in before. Can you not get signup bonuses once you're already in with AmEx?

J.P. Morgan Palladium ($250k) | AmEx Platinum (NPSL) | AmEx SPG Personal/Business ($50k/$50k) | Citi Executive AAdvantage WEMC ($50k) | Citi Dividend WEMC ($50k) | Chase Sapphire Preferred VS ($50k) | Chase Ink Bold WEMC ($50k Flex) | Chase Ink Plus WEMC ($25k) | Chase Freedom VS ($25k) | Chase Freedom WMC ($25k) | Chase MileagePlus Explorer ($25k) | Chase Southwest RR Plus Business/Personal ($15k/$15k) | Barclays US Airways ($25k) | Barclays Hawaiian Airlines ($25k) | BofA Alaska Airlines ($10k) | Lexus Financial Services ($30k) | Mercedes-Benz Financial Services ($50k)
Message 2 of 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

Ive been a member and I receive sign up bonus offers fairly regularly (at least lately) through e-mail. Not sure about viewing these offers through the site. I am pretty sure I have been able to recently but I don't right now.

Message 3 of 14
CreditScholar
Valued Contributor

There are still signup bonuses around, but they seem to be offering the better ones only to targeted people. I have offers for 100k MR points for spending 3k in 3 months on the amex plat, and another offer for 75k points with 1k spend in 3 months plus no AF for the PRG. In the meantime, offers available for the general public are either decreasing or have higher initial spending requirements.
EX 798, EQ 789, TU 784
American Express Platinum (NPSL) || Bank of America Privileges with Travel Rewards Visa Signature - $23,200 CL
Barclays American Airlines Aviator Red World Elite Mastercard - $20,000 CL || Chase IHG Rewards World Mastercard - $25,000 CL
Chase Sapphire Preferred Visa Signature - $12,700 CL || Chase United MileagePlus Club World Elite MasterCard - $26,500 CL
Citibank Hilton Reserve Visa Signature - $20,000 CL || J.P. Morgan Ritz Carlton Visa Signature - $23,500 CL
Message 4 of 14
bribro
Valued Contributor

When I use a browser that detects I had logged into my AmEx account previously (even if I'm not currently logged in) the signup bonuses change. The $100 bonus for BCE and $150 bonus for BCP are not mentioned at all. For Delta Gold the signup bonus goes from 30k to 10k points.

This leads me to my next question: if you're an existing AmEx cardholder and want to apply for another card, will AmEx honor their publicly listed signup bonuses?

Message 5 of 14
Crashem
Valued Contributor

As existing customer, I was able to get stated bonuses.  I had same problem you had.  I think I used referral links or some such method to see the bonuses.

LIMITS IN CARD DESCRIPTIONS
Message 6 of 14
bribro
Valued Contributor

@Crashem wrote:

As existing customer, I was able to get stated bonuses.  I had same problem you had.  I think I used referral links or some such method to see the bonuses.

It seems that the webpage differences are based entirely on your browser cookies. So, if you empty your cookies the generic offers come back. Using "private browsing" accomplishes the same thing. Good to know that as an existing cardholder you were able to obtain the generic bonuses though.

Message 7 of 14
HenryJumbo
Regular Contributor

Check your pre-approve offers online. Read carefully it should give you give you the details of any sign-up bonus.

Starting Score: EX: 736 FAKO | TU: 757 FICO | EQ 730 FICO
Current Score: EX: 736 FAKO | TU: 750 FICO | EQ 730 FICO
Goal Score:     EX: 750 FICO | TU: 750 FICO | EQ: 750 FICO
In my wallet:  $16,000  $8,000
Message 8 of 14
Quips
Regular Contributor

@bribro wrote:

When I use a browser that detects I had logged into my AmEx account previously (even if I'm not currently logged in) the signup bonuses change. The $100 bonus for BCE and $150 bonus for BCP are not mentioned at all. For Delta Gold the signup bonus goes from 30k to 10k points.

This leads me to my next question: if you're an existing AmEx cardholder and want to apply for another card, will AmEx honor their publicly listed signup bonuses?

Yes they will - I had the Amex TE and just recently app and was approved for the BCP - the $150 bonus for $1K spending in first 3 mths was honored.

FICO: EQ 769, TU 762 , EX ???

Message 9 of 14
FicoTron
Established Contributor

So a phone app would be a good move as well and negotiate the deal with the rep.  Has anyone had success with deleting cookies or private browsing?

EX-774 (Amex Fico) 8/12
EQ-725 (Fico) 1/12
TU-729 (Fico) 3/12
Message 10 of 14
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.