Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

AmEx Transferring Limits Between Cards

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

AmEx Transferring Limits Between Cards

Not sure if it's already been mentioned (or already known) but it appears that you have to leave a minimum of $1k on the card you're moving the limit from now. I transferred 19k from the SPG (now at 1k) to the BCP (now at 36.5k). This is the first time I've done it (first time an AmEx card has hit 13 months). I thought from previous posts that it was $500. I've been trying for weeks but finally read one (of the many) piece of mail AmEx sent me and it said that I wasn't leaving a sufficient amount of credit on the card I was taking the limit from.

Just a data point in case it isn't known Smiley Very Happy

Message 1 of 8
7 REPLIES 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: AmEx Transferring Limits Between Cards

@Anonymous wrote:

Not sure if it's already been mentioned (or already known) but it appears that you have to leave a minimum of $1k on the card you're moving the limit from now. I transferred 19k from the SPG (now at 1k) to the BCP (now at 36.5k). This is the first time I've done it (first time an AmEx card has hit 13 months). I thought from previous posts that it was $500. I've been trying for weeks but finally read one (of the many) piece of mail AmEx sent me and it said that I wasn't leaving a sufficient amount of credit on the card I was taking the limit from.

Just a data point in case it isn't known Smiley Very Happy

Interesting because on my account page, I can transfer $15,500 of my $16,000 SPG limit to several other cards.  Wonder why the difference?

Maybe Pooka can shed some light if he happens to read the thread.

Message 2 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

I just transferred $2,500 of my 3k limit over from my Delta to my Hilton the other day, so it worked for me. Strange.

Message 3 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

Yes, it showed me that I could transfer and leave $500 but it would never let me do it. I tried about 4-5 times over the past few weeks. 

Message 4 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

I'm unfortunately no longer affiliated with AXP as I had to return to my family business. I can contribute a data point though that three weeks ago I did transfer all but $500 to a new plastic after receiving the card.
Message 5 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:
I'm unfortunately no longer affiliated with AXP as I had to return to my family business. I can contribute a data point though that three weeks ago I did transfer all but $500 to a new plastic after receiving the card.

Thanks for letting us know and more importantly thank you for all the great info that you provided to the members here.  Good luck with the family business.

Message 6 of 8
UncleB
Credit Mentor

There seems to be some YMMV with this... here's a thread from a few weeks ago that mentions a new $1k minimum as well:

http://ficoforums.myfico.com/t5/Credit-Cards/AMEX-APR-reduction-amp-CL-reallocation-after-approval/m...

Message 7 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

@UncleB wrote:

There seems to be some YMMV with this... here's a thread from a few weeks ago that mentions a new $1k minimum as well:

http://ficoforums.myfico.com/t5/Credit-Cards/AMEX-APR-reduction-amp-CL-reallocation-after-approval/m...

Yeah that's definitely interesting. I wonder if a rep would be able to move the $500 or $1000 over to another card when you close it? Or do you just lose it? As I mentioned, I was able to transfer all but $500 over just the other day. So definitely a YMMV thing.

Message 8 of 8
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.