Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

AmEx... and collections

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

AmEx... and collections

Ok... over on the general credit issues forum, yesterday I posted about the fact that our former landlords/property rental company are rather charmingly trying to make us pay rent from July-December 2008 despite having agreed that we could break our lease when we bought our house in May. We got home to a letter last night saying basically, pay up or we're sending you to collections.

Much hyperventilating ensued, although I think I'm feeling a bit more confident about things today (I mean, they DID agree, and they know they did!) after explaining the whole thing to a few lawyery types and people who've had landlords try the same thing today - all have basically said 'they can't do that', which sounds encouraging.

ANYWAY... I'm at least mildly confident that we'll get them to back off, and regardless, I have no intention of paying them a single penny as we do not OWE a single penny, but... while I'm not going to pay them a thing in order to stop this happening, I am rather worried about what will happen if a collection suddenly appears on my credit reports when AmEx do their every 30-seconds (exaggerate much, me?) soft pull. I have other cards, and guess they may respond unfavorably, but AmEx (not least because their credit limits represent the vast majority of my revolving credit, but also because they are the cards I'm actually glad I have, as opposed to the ones that don't really serve any purpose other than to, well... just be there) is the one that REALLY worries me.

I've done a bit of searching, but if a collection does hit my reports, what can I expect? Instant cancellation of both cards? Extreme CLD-ing? Ratejacking through the roof? And if I then successfully do whatever's necessary to fight said collection (I have no idea about this stuff, I've never had an account in collections before, let alone been threatened with being sent to collections for thousands of dollars I don't even owe) and get it removed from my reports... what then? Will they reinstate whatever it is they've taken away...?

This makes me so mad. We've done it all properly, had everything agreed to and did it all by the book (ie by the lease) - sadly I didn't fight hard enough to get said agreement in writing from the accursed property manager, and now here I am being freshly reminded (and appalled by the fact) that there are plenty of people out there that it is a bad, BAD idea to trust, who will happily **** you over without thinking anything of it. Smiley Sad

Anyway, I digress... if anyone has first-hand knowledge of what AmEx are likely to do in these kind of circumstances, I'd love to hear it. Oh wait... no I wouldn't. I am SO looking forward to the plummeting of our credit scores and all the other fun that will no doubt accompany it if they send us to some slimeball CA. Smiley Sad
Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: AmEx... and collections

I had a CA pop up on EX a few months ago-
Got rid of in in 3 weeks- AMEX softed during that timeframe w/ no Adverse Action.

Message 2 of 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks, Timothy! That's actually rather encouraging to know... although the amount of money in question was waaaay less in your case, so I'm not sure whether that would make a difference. I'm very nervous about all this... there is no way they're getting a penny out of us, I'm certainly not being bullied into paying even 1% of something I don't owe just to protect my/our credit, but... I am going to be SO upset if these (insert expletive of your choice here) follow through with the threats to send us to collections. Well, upset and angrier than I've probably ever been. Smiley Sad
Message 3 of 4
rom828
Established Contributor

I had a CA added to all 3 of my reports  just a couple of months after DH and I both got new Amex cards (Green, Gold, Blue and Delta).

I was really sweating it and posted your very question about FR, cancellation etc on this forum and Timothy advised me of his experience just as he did for you   above.

It took around 2 months to get the CA off (with attorney's help) and Amex did indeed soft during that time but no action was taken.

I'm thrilled to say the CA is no longer on my reports and I still have my cards!

I assume they might just watch this kind of thing  to see if the CA 'goes away', etc.

And good luck with your situation.  I hope you prevail!!!!

FICOS: TU 732(05-16-16) EQ '08 739( 05-16-16) EX 737 (08-17-16)
Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.