Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

AmEx bonus categories question

tag
fatcomic
Regular Contributor

AmEx bonus categories question

On the AmEx Blue Cash Preferred 

The bonus categories on this card list supermarkets at 6% cash back, up to $6,000 per calendar year.    Also, 6% on streaming services.   

My question, is the $6,000 cap only limited to supermarkets or does streaming services deduct from that $6,000 limit a year as well?

The AmEx terms isn't 100% clear, as it slides the streaming subscriptions in the same sentence with the mention of $6,000 cap.  The terms read:

You will earn a reward of 6% on the first $6,000 of eligible purchases in a calendar year (then 1%) at supermarkets located in the U.S. (superstores and warehouse clubs are not considered supermarkets); 6% on eligible purchases of U.S. streaming subscriptions from select providers (the current list of select providers is available at americanexpress.com/rewards-info).

Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

Re: AmEx bonus categories question

@fatcomic wrote:

On the AmEx Blue Cash Preferred 

The bonus categories on this card list supermarkets at 6% cash back, up to $6,000 per calendar year.    Also, 6% on streaming services.   

My question, is the $6,000 cap only limited to supermarkets or does streaming services deduct from that $6,000 limit a year as well?

The AmEx terms isn't 100% clear, as it slides the streaming subscriptions in the same sentence with the mention of $6,000 cap.  The terms read:

You will earn a reward of 6% on the first $6,000 of eligible purchases in a calendar year (then 1%) at supermarkets located in the U.S. (superstores and warehouse clubs are not considered supermarkets); 6% on eligible purchases of U.S. streaming subscriptions from select providers (the current list of select providers is available at americanexpress.com/rewards-info).

The $6K refers just to supermarkets.   The construction is, to  me, clear, with the $6K limit attached to the supermarket part of the clause

Message 2 of 4
fatcomic
Regular Contributor

@longtimelurker wrote:

The $6K refers just to supermarkets.   The construction is, to  me, clear, with the $6K limit attached to the supermarket part of the clause

I can see it both ways.   Semicolons instead of periods keep attorneys employed.   

Message 3 of 4
Otto77
New Contributor

It is clear to me that the limit is for supermarkets only, and that has been my experience.

It is a little more clear in the web portal when you view rewards earned. 6% Supermarkets and 6% streaming are called out separately, and the supermarkers category has an info bubble that mentions the $6000 limit for supermarkets. The streaming category has no bubble.

Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.