Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

AmEx probation

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

AmEx probation

The only thing I can figure from this is that I'm on internal credit probation from AmEx after being barely approved, as someone mentioned in this thread: http://ficoforums.myfico.com/t5/Credit-Cards/I-think-I-know-why-AMEX-won-t-give-me-CLI-on-Jet-Blue-c...

HHonors was one of the first new cards I got after starting my rebuild. At the time I was very grateful, only $1K but I got in the door.  This was back in February.  Fast forward to now, my scores are some 35 points higher than then, and they still won't budge on a CLI. Now they're the lowest bank card in my portfolio by far.  I don't think it's utilization, it's under 20% now, and I've been denied under 10%.

I even tried with an actual representative, attempting to explain that I'm traveling later in the month, have hotel stays booked that will exceed my limit in total, and is there anything to do... etc., apparently there's not, it seems they processed it the same as if I had pressed the luv button, and declined the CLI again.  

Not the end of the world, of course, I have lots of options available.  Loads of credit available on other cards, but I really want to max out the Hilton points by booking and paying on this card, so I'm going to have to jump through a bunch of hoops to prepay some of the stays, then pay it down before paying the other stays.

Still, it's annoying that there's no manual way around this set of hoops.  Live chat referred me to a number that offers no option to talk to a person, and the main support line wasn't particularly helpful or open to out-of-the-box solutions.

Hopefully the above-mentioned thread is correct, and when I hit the one-year mark in February life will be better with them.  The wife wants to sock drawer the card out of spite, but she's not really giving a lot of credit to the fact that we've already gotten one free room on the card, and will have enough points for another after this stay.

I'll weather it, I'm just venting and sharing data points here. Smiley Happy  I'm sure you folks understand.

Message 1 of 10
9 REPLIES 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: AmEx probation

@Anonymous wrote:

The only thing I can figure from this is that I'm on internal credit probation from AmEx after being barely approved, as someone mentioned in this thread: http://ficoforums.myfico.com/t5/Credit-Cards/I-think-I-know-why-AMEX-won-t-give-me-CLI-on-Jet-Blue-card/td-p/4281612/page/2

HHonors was one of the first new cards I got after starting my rebuild. At the time I was very grateful, only $1K but I got in the door.  This was back in February.  Fast forward to now, my scores are some 35 points higher than then, and they still won't budge on a CLI. Now they're the lowest bank card in my portfolio by far.  I don't think it's utilization, it's under 20% now, and I've been denied under 10%.

I even tried with an actual representative, attempting to explain that I'm traveling later in the month, have hotel stays booked that will exceed my limit in total, and is there anything to do... etc., apparently there's not, it seems they processed it the same as if I had pressed the luv button, and declined the CLI again.  

Not the end of the world, of course, I have lots of options available.  Loads of credit available on other cards, but I really want to max out the Hilton points by booking and paying on this card, so I'm going to have to jump through a bunch of hoops to prepay some of the stays, then pay it down before paying the other stays.

Still, it's annoying that there's no manual way around this set of hoops.  Live chat referred me to a number that offers no option to talk to a person, and the main support line wasn't particularly helpful or open to out-of-the-box solutions.

Hopefully the above-mentioned thread is correct, and when I hit the one-year mark in February life will be better with them.  The wife wants to sock drawer the card out of spite, but she's not really giving a lot of credit to the fact that we've already gotten one free room on the card, and will have enough points for another after this stay.

I'll weather it, I'm just venting and sharing data points here. Smiley Happy  I'm sure you folks understand.

I hear you.. Totally Understand and I'm on the same boat as you. I want to use the card more but my 1K SL is limiting me. I want to maintain my 30% utilization on all each of my cards.

My Amex BCE is is the lowest CL I have on all my unsecured cards.

If this doesn't grow in a yr. It might get sock drawer as well..

Message 2 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

Same here.  Super annoying.  I have a Platinum, BCE, and Delta with AMEX.  Tried the 3X CLI on the BCE and Delta, no go.  They keep me at $1000 each on those, but I spend nearly $5K a month on my Platinum.  I'm a 701 FICO and B of A recently gave me $10K on their cash back card.  I'm going to use that for my daily spending and keep using the Platinum for travel as I do travel quite a bit.  But I've already moved BCE and Delta to the SD. 

Message 3 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

Same here.  Super annoying.  I have a Platinum, BCE, and Delta with AMEX.  Tried the 3X CLI on the BCE and Delta, no go.  They keep me at $1000 each on those, but I spend nearly $5K a month on my Platinum.  I'm a 701 FICO and B of A recently gave me $10K on their cash back card.  I'm going to use that for my daily spending and keep using the Platinum for travel as I do travel quite a bit.  But I've already moved BCE and Delta to the SD. 

What's the Platinum? CapOne?

I want to app for the Delta Gold.. But due to the CLI decline on the BCE, I'm thinking they would do the same on the app. They will think its sort of like I'm doing an alternate CLI request.

Message 4 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

My Platinum is the AMEX Platinum.  Which makes it all the more confusing on why they keep my limits so low.  I'm spending an average of $5k a month on that card and paying it off every month.  I don't get it.  

Message 5 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

My Platinum is the AMEX Platinum.  Which makes it all the more confusing on why they keep my limits so low.  I'm spending an average of $5k a month on that card and paying it off every month.  I don't get it.  

That's a charge card right? and you pay AF as well.

That is really weird of the no love from Amex. U have 3 of their cards.

Message 6 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

Unfortunately, this is the downside of 'getting one's foot in the door'. You spend the next year or so trying to get a higher CL. Be patient. It will happen.

Recently UncleB received some auto luv from American Express on his BCP after being denied for CLIs. I'm sure he'll be stopping by to share his story. In the meantime stay positive.Smiley Happy

Message 7 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

I have personally had no problems getting a CLI from AmEx. I got my Delta card in May, with only a $1k limit. Got the 3x CLI to $3k at the 60 day mark. Approved for the Hitlon card the other month with a $2k limit. My 6 months is up in like 2 weeks, so we'll see what happens then. It must be frustrating to not get a CLI from AmEx after all the spend you put on the card.

Message 8 of 10
Discover2016
Valued Contributor

It took me exactly a year to get out of the 1k Amex probation. It is well known that if you get an Amex credit card with a 1k credit line that they will hesitate to give you a CLI until you have some history on the account. 

Gardening until September 2025
Next app: Mortgage in September 2025
Message 9 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

I'll probably let those two sit until  AF fee time on the Delta, then I'll see if they boost the limit.  If not, then I'll probably roll the limit to the BCE and close the Delta.  I do like the Platinum.  Like I said, I travel a lot so the rewards are pretty awesome.  The lounge access alone is almost worth it. B of A will get my non AMEX spending.  I've got all of my banking with them and Merrill anyway.

Message 10 of 10
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.