Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

AmEx "Future transactions may be declined"

tag
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

Re: AmEx "Future transactions may be declined"

@Remedios wrote:

.Amex is very much data driven, so when one pays "a little over minimum", the only conclusion they will draw is that one can only afford to pay a little bit, therefore not allowing any additional charges is not going to happen. 

I think @Remedios is overdoing the negatives there a bit

Message 21 of 25
Remedios
Credit Mentor

@longtimelurker wrote:

@Remedios wrote:

.Amex is very much data driven, so when one pays "a little over minimum", the only conclusion they will draw is that one can only afford to pay a little bit, therefore not allowing any additional charges is not going to happen. 

She's isn't not! 

Message 22 of 25
pizzadude
Credit Mentor

@Remedios wrote:

@longtimelurker wrote:

@Remedios wrote:

She's isn't not! 

I don't not disagree with this line of thinking ! 

March2010 FICO® ~ 695 TU, 653 EQ, 697 EX
Message 23 of 25
Brian_Earl_Spilner
Credit Mentor

@MT64 wrote:

If true, that would just be absurd on AMEX part and since that's not even the issue as you said the OP is carrying a 0 balance. If they're as data driven as you say they are then I would bet that's all it is, part of their algorithim and nothing to actually be alarmed about. Honestly, it's not war against the consumer and credit doesn't just disappear because you reach a mere half of available credit to you unless there's something else driving it in a negative factor else where but spending or utilizing it sn't it.

However, if that was indeed the case (I do not believe it to be), I sure wouldn't be keeping AMEX or any card that treats you that way.

Lol you underestimate their number crunching. They're not just looking at your spend and pay patterns, they have algorithms that can predict risk of default based on your patterns. That's the real concern here. It's like Minority Report, but credit. The moment a flag is raised they slash limits, put a hard cap on NPSL, block new cards and CLI, and demand tax forms. I'm honestly surprised they don't have their own credit score to compete with Fico. I've seen Amex take AA long before someone was actually in trouble. 

Message 24 of 25
TRC_WA
Senior Contributor

@Brian_Earl_Spilner wrote:

Lol you underestimate their number crunching. They're not just looking at your spend and pay patterns, they have algorithms that can predict risk of default based on your patterns. That's the real concern here. It's like Minority Report, but credit. The moment a flag is raised they slash limits, put a hard cap on NPSL, block new cards and CLI, and demand tax forms. I'm honestly surprised they don't have their own credit score to compete with Fico. I've seen Amex take AA long before someone was actually in trouble. 

It makes sense...  but I've heard nothing else about it and it's been almost a month.

After opening account the first 5 months I spent $2-3k per month and PIF.

Month 6 I went on vacation and spent $5800... statement cut and before payment I got the message when I hit $6k or 60% of my limit - PIF

Month 7 statement was $2k... PIF.

I didn't actually notify them I was on vacation but I'm sure they could figure it out pretty easily.

At any rate...  if I weren't PIF every month I'd probably be looking at a different scenario.   They won't give me a CLI because I still have baddies showing for 6-12 more months but otherwise I think I've been the exact customer AmEx wants... use the card and PIF.

FICO8 current as of : 4-12-24 EQ: 724 TU: 702 EX: 706
Hard INQs last 12 months: EQ: 5 | TU: 8 | EX: 9
Verizon Visa $8500 Amex Delta Reserve $10,000 Care Credit $18,000
NFCU CashRewards $7500 Apple Card $7000 Best Buy $8000 Amazon $5000
NFCU auto loan (2022 Ford Bronco Sport Badlands - Cactus Gray) 6.95%
NFCU motorcycle loan (2024 Harley Davidson Road Glide - Alpine Green & Chrome) 9.45%
Total CL: $64,000 --- Total CC UTI: 27% --- AAoA: 5.5 years --- Income: $200k
Last app: 4-6-24
Message 25 of 25
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.