cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

AmEx referral - can you refer someone to a card you don't have?

tag
portlandmusician
Regular Contributor

AmEx referral - can you refer someone to a card you don't have?

I have an AmEx card, but I don't want to refer that card to a friend (I don't think he could use it).  But, I know a card of AmEx's he can use, but I don't have it.  Can I somehow refer him to this card, rather than the one I have, and get a referral fee?  Or, no, just on the card I have?  Thanks.

Message 1 of 3
2 REPLIES 2
K-in-Boston
Credit Mentor

Re: AmEx referral - can you refer someone to a card you don't have?

This was a recently added feature to Amex, but the answer is yes.  Let's say you have a Delta Gold SkyMiles card and an offer for 10,000 SkyMiles for referring a friend to the card.  When they click your link it will say that you have referred them for the Delta SkyMiles Gold card, but they can also click to explore other options.  As long as they then sign up for a card using the link you sent and get approved, you still get the 10,000 SkyMiles (or Membership Rewards or points or dollars depending on your card), even if they sign up for a Gold Card or Business Marriott, or Cash Magnet.  Both personal and business cards are eligible, as well.  Once you generate your referral link, you can open it in an incognito browser tab and see exactly what your friend would see.  Amex referral bonuses arrive very quickly as well.

Message 2 of 3
portlandmusician
Regular Contributor

Re: AmEx referral - can you refer someone to a card you don't have?

@K-in-Boston much thanks!  Awesome.  Thank you!

Message 3 of 3
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.