cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

AmEx targeted upgrade? Happy to accept!

tag
wasCB14
Super Contributor

Re: AmEx targeted upgrade? Happy to accept!

@Caught750 wrote:

I had an EDP that was downgraded once it didn't make sense.  I also ended up closing my gold card and MAY re-evaluate that next year.  I'm not sure the Groceries alone will do it for me.  I hate Grubhub too and am not a fan of the strict credit game with AmEx.

Anyway, I signed into my account this morning and saw an upgrade offer for EDP, 25k MR for $2k spend in 3 months.  Public offer is 15k MR.  Funny thing is I get the pop up when I try to apply for Delta Platinum.

Oh well, I can find a use for this that justifies it and the offer is worth well over the $95 AF.  I have tons of everyday purchases that code as gas for 3 points/$ and groceries are 4.5 points/$.  I value that at 6 and 9% return, at least, once the world returns to normal.  Chase will hold onto spend for their offers, dining, travel, DoorDash, and Lyft.  AmEx will get Groceries and Gas.  AOD gets everything else.

Thanks AmEx, I'll take it!

25k/$2k to upgrade back to EDP is nice.

I got EDP in 2015 and downgraded to ED after 11 months (before they got stricter about customers keeping a card for a year, and when they still gave partial AF refunds). I got a SUB but it was pretty modest, maybe 15k.

I've never gotten an offer to upgrade back for a new bonus on that card.

Personal spend: Amex Gold, Amex Schwab Plat., BofA PR+CCR(x2), Costco
Business use: Amex Bus. Plat., BBP, Lowes Amex AU, CFU AU
Perks: Delta Plat., United Explorer, IHG49, Hyatt, "Old SPG"
Mostly SD: Freedom Flex, Freedom, Arrival
Upgrade/Downgrade games: ED, BCE
SUB chasing: AA Platinum Select
Message 11 of 22
Caught750
Valued Contributor

@wasCB14 wrote:

@Caught750 wrote:

I had an EDP that was downgraded once it didn't make sense.  I also ended up closing my gold card and MAY re-evaluate that next year.  I'm not sure the Groceries alone will do it for me.  I hate Grubhub too and am not a fan of the strict credit game with AmEx.

Anyway, I signed into my account this morning and saw an upgrade offer for EDP, 25k MR for $2k spend in 3 months.  Public offer is 15k MR.  Funny thing is I get the pop up when I try to apply for Delta Platinum.

Oh well, I can find a use for this that justifies it and the offer is worth well over the $95 AF.  I have tons of everyday purchases that code as gas for 3 points/$ and groceries are 4.5 points/$.  I value that at 6 and 9% return, at least, once the world returns to normal.  Chase will hold onto spend for their offers, dining, travel, DoorDash, and Lyft.  AmEx will get Groceries and Gas.  AOD gets everything else.

Thanks AmEx, I'll take it!

25k/$2k to upgrade back to EDP is nice.

I got EDP in 2015 and downgraded to ED after 11 months (before they got stricter about customers keeping a card for a year, and when they still gave partial AF refunds). I got a SUB but it was pretty modest, maybe 15k.

I've never gotten an offer to upgrade back for a new bonus on that card.

For some reason they don't want to give me SUBs but they offer me upgrade bonuses all the time.  I upgraded to Hilton Surpass for 150k points and 2 weeks after hitting the spend for that they offered Aspire with 150k points and I hit that too.  Try to apply for a Delta card and get a pop up.  Log in today and see this.  It's just silly lol.  

I'm really hoping Platinum is a big obvious yes as I already have EDP and BBP so it would be fairly cheap to run an AmEx set up with Schwab flavor Platinum.   I have $1300 in AFs that'll I'll close in the next year so Platinum is an option if it's worthwhile when travel picks up again.

PERSONAL; Amex | AOD FCU | BBVA | BECU | Capital 1 | Chase | Citi | Discover | Key | NFCU | PSECU | SECU MD | Synchrony | US Bank
BUSINESS; Amex | Citi
F8 Current F8s ~750 Best Ever F8s ~775
TOTAL PERSONAL CL > $350k and TCL > $365k
Message 12 of 22
Anonymous
Not applicable

Nice offer. They're offering me $150 to upgrade to the Cash Everyday Preferred for $1k spend. Factoring in the $95 fee, the 5% bonus isn't really that intriguing for me.

Message 13 of 22
Anonymous
Not applicable

Congratulations!

Message 14 of 22
EverForward
Established Contributor

Congratulations 🎈🍾🎊🎉 

Message 15 of 22
AllZero
Mega Contributor

Congratulations on your upgrade!
Message 16 of 22
Anonymous
Not applicable

Congrats, 25K points is great upgrade offer! I've never once been offered anything for the EDP beyond the typical jargon.

Not sure if even would or not as I could never justify the $95 AF for EDP, don't swipe enough for the point modifier. My go to for groery is BCP, so it would mean using that less.

Really only got the ED for a BT offer a couple years back, now it just pads CL but have been thinking of closing it recently.

Message 17 of 22
Credit_Flavours
Regular Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Congrats, 25K points is great upgrade offer! I've never once been offered anything for the EDP beyond the typical jargon.

Not sure if even would or not as I could never justify the $95 AF for EDP, don't swipe enough for the point modifier. My go to for groery is BCP, so it would mean using that less.

Really only got the ED for a BT offer a couple years back, now it just pads CL but have been thinking of closing it recently.

+1 on everything you said up here.

Presently have this offer and the 25k points are really tempting but after taking a $150 upgrade offer a couple of months ago, that dropped my cash magnet for the BCP, it has become our preferred groceries card and it gets a lot of swipes. I am really struggling to justify re-directing all that spend to the EDP, losing the 6x cashback to get 3x points and then I won't be able to downgrade before the annual fee hits again in September 2020 when the anniversary of the card comes around.

Can anybody help me see it differently?????? Thanks, y'all.

Message 18 of 22
recoveringfrombk7
Established Contributor

Woot woot!

Desired BK recovery line up complete 7/12/2021. Planning to garden until 8/2023 and potentially try for AMEX.
Message 19 of 22
Caught750
Valued Contributor

@Credit_Flavours wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

+1 on everything you said up here.

Presently have this offer and the 25k points are really tempting but after taking a $150 upgrade offer a couple of months ago, that dropped my cash magnet for the BCP, it has become our preferred groceries card and it gets a lot of swipes. I am really struggling to justify re-directing all that spend to the EDP, losing the 6x cashback to get 3x points and then I won't be able to downgrade before the annual fee hits again in September 2020 when the anniversary of the card comes around.

Can anybody help me see it differently?????? Thanks, y'all.

You have several cards that earn transferable rewards.  While 6% cash back from BCP may be the better option for you the 4.5 MRs (=9 cents) per dollar is a better option for me.  

You asked to see it differently; travel is my goal and there's no comparison for me, it's just the opposite direction.  

PERSONAL; Amex | AOD FCU | BBVA | BECU | Capital 1 | Chase | Citi | Discover | Key | NFCU | PSECU | SECU MD | Synchrony | US Bank
BUSINESS; Amex | Citi
F8 Current F8s ~750 Best Ever F8s ~775
TOTAL PERSONAL CL > $350k and TCL > $365k
Message 20 of 22
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.