cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Amazing Balance Transfer offer from Discover IT.

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Amazing Balance Transfer offer from Discover IT.

i was looking into transferring a high interest balance to another card.  discover has a healthy limit so i was curious on their balance tranfer. well i saw i had 2 offers.  1.- 0% interest 12 month 3% transfer fee  2. - 4.99% interest 0% transfer fee.   so i decided on 2 since it gave me more months.  When i redeemed it it gave me 2 options   pay off loan/card   or deposit into bank account.   called discover and apparently you can borrow the money instead of just transfering balances from other cards.  borrowed $1500 and i have 18 months to pay it off on 4.99% APR  makes it easy cause i can distribute to other cards.

lady also said i can use my discover to pay bills. bills that cant usually be paid with CC's

Message 1 of 8
7 REPLIES 7
K-in-Boston
Credit Mentor

Re: Amazing Balance Transfer offer from Discover IT.

One of the things I love about Discover is the never-ending 0% with 3% fee or 4.99% with no fee balance transfer offers. I just wish they were a little more forthcoming with usable credit lines for the offers.
Message 2 of 8
HeavenOhio
Senior Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

lady also said i can use my discover to pay bills. bills that cant usually be paid with CC's

How does that work?

Message 3 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

im not sure on the bills part. she just told me that i was kinda shocked.  didnt continue on it since i didnt need to do that..     ill call and find out though.

Message 4 of 8
RadioRob
Established Contributor

Typically they send you BT checks.  You can make that check payable to yourself and deposit it into your normal checking account.  Take the proceeds and pay whatever you like. 

Message 5 of 8
AverageJoesCredit
Legendary Contributor

Lol K, Discovers never ending bt offers apparently do run out. I no longer have these offers that were showing since day 1 of my account and i have a real sneaky intuition they aint coming backSmiley Wink
Message 6 of 8
NRB525
Super Contributor

@AverageJoesCredit wrote:
Lol K, Discovers never ending bt offers apparently do run out. I no longer have these offers that were showing since day 1 of my account and i have a real sneaky intuition they aint coming backSmiley Wink

How long have you had the card? How long since you have seen BT offers? I have noticed they sometimes disappear, but return after a short time. You are looking online, not waiting for paper mailers, correct?

If you need a BT offer just call them up and inquire whether one is available. They may say no, but it is possible that wakes up the algorithm and you start seeing them. 

The 4.99% offers are nice because you can pay them over a few months without a larger 3% fee. 

High Bal Jan 2009 $116k on $146k limits 80% Util.
Oct 2014 $46k on $127k 36% util EQ 722 TU 727 EX 727
April 2018 $18k on $344k 5% util EQ 806 TU 810 EX 812
Jan 2019 $7.6k on $360k EQ 832 TU 839 EX 831
March 2021 $33k on $312k EQ 796 TU 798 EX 801
May 2021 Paid all Installments and Mortgages, one new Mortgage EQ 761 TY 774 EX 777
April 2022 EQ=811 TU=807 EX=805 - TU VS 3.0 765
Message 7 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

They also offer cash up to your limit to be deposited into your checking account like the OP said. Then you can pay whoever you want. It's much easier than sitting around waiting for BT checks. Don't you think....

I was lucky enough to get a $20000 SL with Disco. It's a great option if I ever needed a short term loan at 4.99%.

@RadioRob wrote:

Typically they send you BT checks.  You can make that check payable to yourself and deposit it into your normal checking account.  Take the proceeds and pay whatever you like. 

Message 8 of 8
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.