Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Amazon Prime Rewards Visa & Short Credit History

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Amazon Prime Rewards Visa & Short Credit History

Hey Guys,

Very new to this credit card and credit building game and i'm trying my best to start it off right. I currently have zero credit history. I've had a BofA Cash Rewards World Mastercard ($1000 CL) for about a month and i've recently (about a week ago) been added as an AU on my wife's Southwest Rapid Rewards Premier card. The Southwest card is issued by Chase, has been open for 2 years and has no late payments on it. I REALLY want to get the Amazon Prime Rewards card (also issued by Chase) as I am a Prime member and a fairly heavy Amazon shopper. So essentially my question is how long should I wait before applying for the Amazon card? Provided that the cards I currently have continue to be used responsibly, could I apply with a realistic shot at approval by December?

10 REPLIES 10
Remedios
Credit Mentor

Re: Amazon Prime Rewards Visa & Short Credit History

Even if you got approved with five months of history, you'd be stuck with a toy limit.
I'd wait longer
Message 2 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Remedios wrote:
Even if you got approved with five months of history, you'd be stuck with a toy limit.
I'd wait longer

Wouldn't being an AU on a card with 2 years of history pad my credit history?

Message 3 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

IME Chase likes to see a year of history, but as always YMMV.

Also they are starting to add all the cards to 5/24, i think the Prime is not added yet, so something to consider as well. 

Message 4 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

@Remedios wrote:
I'd wait longer

In the case of Chase DP's, they don't consider AU and Closed accts.  

Message 5 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@Remedios wrote:
I'd wait longer

So essentially, does this mean that whenever I apply they'll only consider the history of the card on which I'm a primary account holder? Ultimately I want the Sapphire Preferred card. My plan was to apply for the Prime Visa at the end of this year and then apply for the CSP 6 months after that. Is this plan at all feasible?

Message 6 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@Remedios wrote:
I'd wait longer

So essentially, does this mean that whenever I apply they'll only consider the history of the card on which I'm a primary account holder? Ultimately I want the Sapphire Preferred card. My plan was to apply for the Prime Visa at the end of this year and then apply for the CSP 6 months after that. Is this plan at all feasible?

I had a Chase card for 10 years, and right before i blacklisted them (Never/24), i was told by chase that they only consider current accts as they add to your Util and payment history where the other ones do not since you are not the primary responsible.  I have seen many DP's on here supporting this reason as well.   

Message 7 of 11
FinStar
Moderator Emeritus

As mentioned upthread, Chase would only be able to evaluate your individual history given all things considered. While AU accounts provide a historical and scoring benefit, a variety of lender UW algorithms tend to exclude that.

The longer you wait the more optimal your profile will become.
Message 8 of 11
AverageJoesCredit
Legendary Contributor

You might have a shot, score depending, at the Synchrony Amazon store card.pretty good card for 5% Amazon and 0% promotional ratesfor purchases over $149. Sync can approve thin files on ocasion.
Message 9 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

Ok, guess i'll stay in the garden with my BofA card for a year and then see how my options look then. Thanks for the responses!

Message 10 of 11
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.