cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Amazon Prime Store Card, I thought it was Synchrony but...

tag
SoCalGardener
Valued Contributor

Amazon Prime Store Card, I thought it was Synchrony but...

Late last night, while using the BofA app (I usually use their website on a nice big laptop), I stumbled onto something that confused me. All along, I've thought my Amazon Prime Store Card was a Synchrony product--I mean, it's Synchrony's site I log in to when I want to check my account, and every communication I've ever had has been branded Synchrony.

But while looking through my finances last night (a feature on BofA that lets you see month-over-month spending), I came across a payment to "JP Morgan Chase" as the "Merchant Name," in the transaction category "Finance: Credit Card Payments." I started scratching my head. I didn't recall this particular amount ($1100-something), and started looking for more info. After various sorting and searching, I found a BUNCH of these transactions, and by using the most recent one's date and amount, I was able to match it up with my Amazon card!

Is this a known thing? I looked around the boards, but a quick search didn't yield what I was looking for. I've never had any kind of account with JP Morgan and/or Chase. I'm very content to be gardening now, but for future reference, does this give me any kind of an 'in' if I wanted one of their cards?

Amazon Prime Store CardAmerican Express Blue Cash Preferred CardAmerican Express Everyday CardBank of America Customized Cash VisaCapitalOne Quicksilver MastercardCapitalOne Quicksilver VisaCapitalOne Walmart Rewards MastercardChevron Texaco CardCiti Double Cash MastercardDiscover More CardJCPenney Gold MastercardOverstock.com CardSportsmans Guide Rewards VisaSynchrony Home Card
Message 1 of 8
7 REPLIES 7
Loquat
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Amazon Prime Store Card, I thought it was Synchrony but...

So if I'm understanding correctly...you have an Amazon Prime Store card from Synchrony but when you make payments it shows up as a payment to JP Morgan Chase?

If so, this is news to me.
Message 2 of 8
Slabenstein
Valued Contributor

There are three Amazon credit cards: the store card, which is issued by Synchrony, and the Amazon and Amazon Prime Visa cards from Chase.  Chase doesn't have anything to do with the Synchrony card, so if that's what you have this might be a display error of some kind on BofA's end.

Message 3 of 8
GrandBay
Frequent Contributor

Let us know what you find out in this investigation. I always thought they were synchrony but I do not have a card - yet. 

Message 4 of 8
chiefone4u
Established Contributor

@SoCalGardener wrote:

Late last night, while using the BofA app (I usually use their website on a nice big laptop), I stumbled onto something that confused me. All along, I've thought my Amazon Prime Store Card was a Synchrony product--I mean, it's Synchrony's site I log in to when I want to check my account, and every communication I've ever had has been branded Synchrony.

But while looking through my finances last night (a feature on BofA that lets you see month-over-month spending), I came across a payment to "JP Morgan Chase" as the "Merchant Name," in the transaction category "Finance: Credit Card Payments." I started scratching my head. I didn't recall this particular amount ($1100-something), and started looking for more info. After various sorting and searching, I found a BUNCH of these transactions, and by using the most recent one's date and amount, I was able to match it up with my Amazon card!

Is this a known thing? I looked around the boards, but a quick search didn't yield what I was looking for. I've never had any kind of account with JP Morgan and/or Chase. I'm very content to be gardening now, but for future reference, does this give me any kind of an 'in' if I wanted one of their cards?

Be sure to check the date's the Synchrony website is telling you they are receiving payments... it could be a glitch like mentioned above, or BoA has been sending your payments errantly to Chase delaying payments to Synchrony (<--- purely speculation).

Goodwill Saturation Technique
Starting Score: EQ:608, EX:617, TU:625
Current Score 3/11/2020: EQ:695, EX:703, TU:720
Goal Score: 740+
Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
Discover IT $1000Cabelas Clasic $1000Coscto Anywhere Signature Visa -Citi- $7200ExxonMobil Smartcard -Citi- $2500Playstation Visa (Comenity) $1950QuickSilver One $2200Walmart $6000Wells Fargo Platinum Visa $3000
Member of the Synchrony Bank giveth then Taketh away April 2020 Club! $86,900 in available credit gone without warning.
Newest Account July 8, 2020 -- Last HP October 24, 2020 -- Gardening Goal: August 2022 and reach 0/24
Message 5 of 8
coldfusion
Community Leader
Mega Contributor

What does the actual description of the transaction look like?  Something like this? 

CHASE CREDIT CRD DES:EPAY ID:XXXXX[snip] INDN:MR OLD CURMUDGEON CO ID:XXXXX[snip] WEB

(3/2024)
FICO 8 (EX) 846 (TU) 850 (EQ) 850
FICO 9 (EX) 850 (TU) 850 (EQ) 850

$1M+ club

Artist formerly known as the_old_curmudgeon who was formerly known as coldfusion
Message 6 of 8
SoCalGardener
Valued Contributor

Well, this is interesting! Depending on where I look (on Bank of America), it displays differently.

In "Bill Pay" it's always shown as: "Amazon Credit Card" (no mention of Synchrony; it has Amazon's logo next to its name).

But from the main menu, if I choose "Accounts" and then "Spending & Budgeting," then it shows as described in my OP--and it also appears that way if I expand a payment in my checking account history.

I have no idea if this is a glitch within BofA, or what. It's not a problem one way or the other, it just caught me by surprise when I saw, and didn't recognize, it.

Amazon Prime Store CardAmerican Express Blue Cash Preferred CardAmerican Express Everyday CardBank of America Customized Cash VisaCapitalOne Quicksilver MastercardCapitalOne Quicksilver VisaCapitalOne Walmart Rewards MastercardChevron Texaco CardCiti Double Cash MastercardDiscover More CardJCPenney Gold MastercardOverstock.com CardSportsmans Guide Rewards VisaSynchrony Home Card
Message 7 of 8
Metalcards
Regular Contributor

I have the Amazon store card through Synchrony and the Amazon Prime Signature Visa through Chase.

Message 8 of 8
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.