Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Amazon Prime Store Card or Chase Amazon Prime Visa

tag
gdale6
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Amazon Prime Store Card or Chase Amazon Prime Visa

With the loss of the SM I will be getting the Chase Amazon Prime card but not till this summer, I am at 5/24 next month and my next up is the CSP.

Message 11 of 33
Anonymous
Not applicable

It depends on everyone's individual situation.  For me I didn't have Amazon Prime Store card before, so I have no problem getting the Chase Amazon Prime card.  For those with the Store card and spend less than $500 per month on Amazon, it doesn't change much.  It only matters if you want to spend more than $500 per month and want to spend on gas/restuarants/drug stores inside and outside the USA.  No foreign exchange fee is huge advantage for the Chase Amazon Prime Rewards card.  

Message 12 of 33
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

It depends on everyone's individual situation.  For me I didn't have Amazon Prime Store card before, so I have no problem getting the Chase Amazon Prime card.  For those with the Store card and spend less than $500 per month on Amazon, it doesn't change much.  It only matters if you want to spend more than $500 per month and want to spend on gas/restuarants/drug stores inside and outside the USA.  No foreign exchange fee is huge advantage for the Chase Amazon Prime Rewards card.  

Not sure I would classify it as huge.  As you say, depends on individual's needs and what cards they have.   2% rewards isn't all that impressive if you have a card that gives 1MR/UR/TYP on foreign spend.  Plus things like Penfed Plat rewards already give 2.54% at foreign gas stations

Message 13 of 33
adelphi_sky
Frequent Contributor

I went and got the Chase Amazon Prime Visa. I'm already a Prime Member and I spend a little over $1500 per year on Amazon products. That effectively cuts my Amazon Prime fee down to $24. There's no annual fee, so the rewards aren't killed. And like other people have said, I would have paid the $99 Prime fee with or without a card. The card is just a bonus. 

Message 14 of 33
yfan
Valued Contributor

I don't really like store cards. I never had Sallie either. I just used Discover's 5% when it was available; otherwise I used the Amazon Visa from Chase. Now that it's upgraded, it's my default choice.

Message 15 of 33
wmweeza
Established Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

The Amazon Visa went from fairly worthless to phenomenal, and it seems like the no-brainer choice for most now over the Store Card. If I didn't have either, I'd definitely want the Visa.

But I already have the Store Card and will keep that for now and not app for the Visa, but probably will make the switch at somepoint. I've got AMEX's 10% on Amazon going for another 5 months, and by that point, I figure Discover or the Freedom might be doing a 5% on Amazon. When all that runs out, I'll look to make the switch.

10% off using AMEX at Amazon? HOW?

Last App 10/14. FICO's: AMEX Ex 846, BarclayTU08 815.FAKOs:CreditKarma 775,CS score 771.BofA 5400,Target $5000,Barnes $8500,Amex $22k
Message 16 of 33
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

@wmweeza wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

The Amazon Visa went from fairly worthless to phenomenal, and it seems like the no-brainer choice for most now over the Store Card. If I didn't have either, I'd definitely want the Visa.

But I already have the Store Card and will keep that for now and not app for the Visa, but probably will make the switch at somepoint. I've got AMEX's 10% on Amazon going for another 5 months, and by that point, I figure Discover or the Freedom might be doing a 5% on Amazon. When all that runs out, I'll look to make the switch.

10% off using AMEX at Amazon? HOW?

Limited time offer on the BCE/BCP (and maybe others)

Message 17 of 33
Steelersboy
Frequent Contributor

Store card as the Amazon Chase does nothing for me now.

If a man empties his purse into his head, no one can take it from him. An investment in knowledge always pays the best interest. - Benjamin Franklin |Capital One Quicksilver Cash Rewards|Chase Amazon Visa Rewards|BOA Cash Rewards|Commence MC| Citi Double Cash| Amazon Prime Store Card|Discover It|Chase Freedom|Chase Freedom Unlimited|Amex BCE|Wells Fargo Cash Wise|Barclays Cashforward
$89,500 total card credit FICO Equifax-823, FICO Transunion-774, FICO Experian-769, DTI-20.4%
Message 18 of 33
lokobo
Regular Contributor

With SallieMae coming to an end, I was dreading getting the store card because I'd have to deal with Synchrony.  Thank God this new chase card came out at just the right time.

Message 19 of 33
wmweeza
Established Contributor

Thanks, it's not listed for me on AMEX offers, wish it was, oh well

Last App 10/14. FICO's: AMEX Ex 846, BarclayTU08 815.FAKOs:CreditKarma 775,CS score 771.BofA 5400,Target $5000,Barnes $8500,Amex $22k
Message 20 of 33
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.