cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Amazon Prime Store Card switching to points instead of cashback!

tag
Moneyklutz
Frequent Contributor

Amazon Prime Store Card switching to points instead of cashback!

Got an email today spelling out changes on our Amazon Prime store card.

"...Starting on or after October 31, 2017, the 5% back* benefit with your Amazon Prime Store Card will be earned as a rewards point balance, rather than being applied to your account automatically as a statement credit."

It seems to me the only real change is that it will allow me to redeem the accrued points on a purchase in addition to the normal way of waiting for the statement cut and applying it to the balance.

Anyone else get the email yet and interpret the changes differently?  

Message 1 of 68
67 REPLIES 67
securingourfuture
Established Contributor

Re: Amazon Prime Store Card switching to points instead of cashback!

I got it today too.

8/22/18: BK7 filed EXP 490 TU 430 EQ 429
11/28/18: BK7 discharged EXP 586 TU 578 EQ 527
06/08/21: EXP 656 TU 643 EQ 701
Message 2 of 68
Anonymous
Not applicable

Just got it, what does that mean? Is 5 percent cash back going away? I hope not
Message 3 of 68
UpperNwGuy
Valued Contributor

Be very afraid.  Unlike cash, points can be devalued.

Daily Carry: PenFed Power Cash • NFCU Flagship • NFCU More Rewards • Chase Freedom
Sock Drawer: PenFed Promise • NFCU cashRewards • Chase Sapphire Preferred • Chase Freedom Unlimited • United Explorer • UNFCU Azure
Message 4 of 68
CountryLivin
Valued Contributor

@UpperNwGuy wrote:

Yes, they can, but you will have the choice of using points to make a purchase or using the points for a statement credit. There's really no changes to the program, other then now we will have a choice of what to do with our points...instead of it automatically getting statement credit.

Message 5 of 68
Anonymous
Not applicable

hmm i didnt get that email but booo!

Message 6 of 68
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

@CountryLivin wrote:

@UpperNwGuy wrote:

Yes, they can, but you will have the choice of using points to make a purchase or using the points for a statement credit. There's really no changes to the program, other then now we will have a choice of what to do with our points...instead of it automatically getting statement credit.

For now, but I'm with UpperNwGuy here, there is no real reason to switch to points except to allow you the possibility of devaluation.   The nice thing is (from an issuers viewpoint) that it is much less obvious.  If I tell you that instead of 5% you are going to get 4%, you might get annoyed and look for alternatives.   But points make it somewhat easier to hide, it now costs 5000 points for something that used to cost 4500, or you can redeem your balance for slightly less....

This happened with the Penfed Platinum rewards, still earns 5points on gas, 3 points at supermarkets, but they have gone from 1c per point to just over 0.8c per point.

Message 7 of 68
Loquat
Moderator Emeritus

@longtimelurker wrote:

@CountryLivin wrote:

@UpperNwGuy wrote:

For now, but I'm with UpperNwGuy here, there is no real reason to switch to points except to allow you the possibility of devaluation.   The nice thing is (from an issuers viewpoint) that it is much less obvious.  If I tell you that instead of 5% you are going to get 4%, you might get annoyed and look for alternatives.   But points make it somewhat easier to hide, it now costs 5000 points for something that used to cost 4500, or you can redeem your balance for slightly less....

This happened with the Penfed Platinum rewards, still earns 5points on gas, 3 points at supermarkets, but they have gone from 1c per point to just over 0.8c per point.

+1   ^^  This.  My thoughts exactly. 

Message 8 of 68
Anonymous
Not applicable

You can blame me for this one -- every time I apply for something, guaranteed I will bring down all the good stuff, lol.  I also applied for NFCU the day before they slammed the door shut, haha.

I can't wait to get the Chase CSR and a month later I bet they'll give you free funny postcards in the mail instead of URs!

Message 9 of 68
UpperNwGuy
Valued Contributor

I suspect that this change might relate to Amazon's recent acquisition of Whole Foods and their plans to expand their store card to include Whole Foods purchases.

Daily Carry: PenFed Power Cash • NFCU Flagship • NFCU More Rewards • Chase Freedom
Sock Drawer: PenFed Promise • NFCU cashRewards • Chase Sapphire Preferred • Chase Freedom Unlimited • United Explorer • UNFCU Azure
Message 10 of 68
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.