cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Amazon Prime Store Card switching to points instead of cashback!

tag
Gregory1776
Valued Contributor

Re: Amazon Prime Store Card switching to points instead of cashback!

@UpperNwGuy wrote:

Be very afraid.  Unlike cash, points can be devalued.

Go ahead, Chase. I just got the card, and I dont need it. Ill use PenFed.

Message 41 of 68
sdsoccerdad
Established Contributor

I haven't received it either.  

Personal Cards:

Business Cards:

Started my journey in the high 500's 10/1/2016
Current Fico: EQ:740 | TU:757 | EX:775
Message 42 of 68
Anonymous
Not applicable

If I understand this right I like it. I tend to hoard Cashback and points. 

Message 43 of 68
kberly69
Frequent Contributor

I got the email today and opened the card in July of this year.

CH7 BK Discharged 10/16
Oct/Nov 2016: EQ 632 TU 532 EX 573
Feb 2017: EQ 695 TU 673 EX 670
March 2017 EQ 702 TU 676 EX 673
April 2017 EX 683 (TU & EQ unknown)
May 2017 EQ 695 TU 685 EX 693
Feb 2018 EQ 704 TU 687 EX 694

9/24/20: 4 years from discharge FICO 8: EQ 751 EX 765 TU 766 FICO 9 EQ 814 EX 804 TU 821
Message 44 of 68
SGR
Contributor

It seems like current card holders can request that they still receive the 5% cash statement instead of being converted to points. It says you can select this option on the account management website but I'm unable to locate the option so far. Here's where it says this in the email I received:

"On or after October 31st, you will automatically start receiving the 5% back benefit as rewards points. Once rewards points are posted to your account (which may take up to two billing cycles), you will have the option to redeem them for eligible purchases at Amazon.com. If you wish to continue redeeming the 5% back in the form of a statement credit, you can do so by choosing this option within the Synchrony Bank online account management page"

Message 45 of 68
K-in-Boston
Credit Mentor

@SGR wrote:

It seems like current card holders can request that they still receive the 5% cash statement instead of being converted to points. It says you can select this option on the account management website but I'm unable to locate the option so far. Here's where it says this in the email I received:

"On or after October 31st, you will automatically start receiving the 5% back benefit as rewards points. Once rewards points are posted to your account (which may take up to two billing cycles), you will have the option to redeem them for eligible purchases at Amazon.com. If you wish to continue redeeming the 5% back in the form of a statement credit, you can do so by choosing this option within the Synchrony Bank online account management page"

Woohoo!  If I ever get the email I'll be sure to do that.  I'll assume that will show up on my Rewards tab "on or around October 31st" if they are rolling it out to all cardholders.

Message 46 of 68
Anonymous
Not applicable

@K-in-Boston wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@K-in-Boston wrote:

@Dalmus wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

idk but i use my card like i stole it and still no CLI, if i get this email i may probably finally close it and just use my Discover

If you really use Amazon that much, that'd be silly...   Except for when its a bonus category, you'd only be earning 1% if you use your Discover card.

+1 and it’s capped at $1500/quarter when it is 5%.  Have you tried calling the overseas Credit Solutions number to request a CLI? For the first 4 years mine grew just a few hundred bucks at a time. One call to CS and it was $12k with a soft pull. 

Chase Amazon VS is unlimited 5% so I'm sure that's a better alternative. 

Not necessarily.  Underwriting for Chase can be a concern for some, a CLI with Chase will almost always require a hard inquiry, and the Chase card lacks the very flexible 0% APR offers for new purchases.  The Chase card also has its own set of advantages, too (most obvious being that you can use it anywhere Visa is accepted).

The underwriting standards are lower for the store card, but for those with scores 640 and above, the Chase Amazon VS is an easy card to obtain. 

Personaly I have both, and I don't utilitze the store card as much as I should. 

Message 47 of 68
Anonymous
Not applicable

I usually use my Chase Amazon or Discover for my Amazon purchases. I'm not a huge fan of statements credit and I haven't used my card since about November of last year.
Message 48 of 68
Cprman
Contributor

Got the email today, overall just sort of annoying, but not at all suprising. 

It's a brilliant move really that will instantly make them a ton of money I suspect without really changing the program. 

They note now it may take 2 billing cycles before your points post (just more time for them to keep the money)

By making us actively have to claim your points, Im sure there's a ton of people who will never claim the points and even those that do there will likely more of delay in claiming that money. 

Frankly I was kind of suprised at the instant credit, as most other cards don't do this. 

Here's hoping they don't cap that 5% or devalue, then I'll be really frustrated, such a good card right now. 

5/08 EQ 696.....9/13 EQ 796.....9/17 EX 824, EQ 843
Amex Blue Cash 15K || PenFed Cash Rewards 18K || Chase Freedom 12K || Cap1 Quicksilver 15K || Amazon Prime 3.8K || Citi Double Cash 10.8K
Message 49 of 68
sdsoccerdad
Established Contributor

Just got the letter.  I will stick to the 5% statement credit.  

Personal Cards:

Business Cards:

Started my journey in the high 500's 10/1/2016
Current Fico: EQ:740 | TU:757 | EX:775
Message 50 of 68
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.