Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Amazon Prime Visa vs Amazon Prime Store cards for new credit

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Amazon Prime Visa vs Amazon Prime Store cards for new credit

Hello!

So I have a 20 year old in college with a Discover card. Has had it a few years, got quite a few bumps in CL and in fact got another to 5000! She keeps it very low balanced. Her score is in the 730s but again, new credit. Currently she is  on my amazon prime account (not a card just the membership for shipping) but I want to get her off on her own so along with that, I want to have her get one of the Prime store cards (i am buying her Prime membership). Which one do you think would be best in her situation?

Message 1 of 19
18 REPLIES 18
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Amazon Prime Visa vs Amazon Prime Store cards for new credit

Disco is 5% Amazon this quarter

Chase Amazon card would be good, as it's a Visa too, with a minimum credit line of $500 -- so not too hard to approved for

As long as she has some income it shouldn't be a difficult app. I suggest also opening a Chase college checking for a $100 bonus. Free and easy stuff.

If she has no loans, could do SSLT or PL to boost credit

Message 2 of 19
blindambition
Senior Contributor

She should qualify for either. Chase likes a year of credit. also has 5/24, if she's opened 5 cards in 24 months, instant denial. Chase will most likely be 2 HP, with some variation of EX, EQ, TU.

Synch should be easier approval. They pull TU. Cards offer pretty much the same, when it comes to Amazon benefits.

Message 3 of 19
rostrow416
Established Contributor

Getting the Visa means getting in with Chase, which can be benficial for her.  She can get a bank account with them and she will have good history when moving on to their other products.  The Prime store card is fine as a consolation prize (and as a Synchrony product, easy to get and grow), but she should be able to qualify for the Visa.

AMEX Gold | Purdue FCU $20,000 | FNBO Evergreen $15,000 | TFCU Plat Visa $15,000 | PenFed Platinum Rewards $15,000 | PenFed Pathfinder $15,000 | Citizen's Bank Cash Back+ $15,000 | Synchrony Premier MC $10,000 | SG Visa $10,000 | NFCU MoreRewards $7,000 | NFCU cashRewards $17,000 | Discover IT $6,000 | Capital One BuyPower $950 | AMEX BCP $5,000 | AMEX Amazon Prime Business $3,000

B&H Payboo Card $15,000 | Amazon Prime Card $10,000 | PC Richard Card $15,000 | Target RedCard $2,000 | Walmart Store Card $1,400 | Shell Gas Card $1,200 | Overstock Store Card $7,000 | Kohl's Store Card $3,000

Spring Cleaning:
C̶a̶p̶i̶t̶a̶l̶ ̶O̶n̶e̶ ̶Q̶u̶i̶c̶k̶S̶i̶l̶v̶e̶r̶ ̶$̶1̶,̶0̶0̶0̶ | C̶r̶e̶d̶i̶t̶ ̶O̶n̶e̶ ̶V̶i̶s̶a̶ ̶$̶1̶,̶2̶0̶0̶ | M̶e̶r̶r̶i̶c̶k̶ ̶B̶a̶n̶k̶ ̶$̶2̶,̶7̶0̶0̶ | M̶a̶r̶v̶e̶l̶ ̶M̶a̶s̶t̶e̶r̶c̶a̶r̶d̶ ̶$̶1̶,̶̶2̶0̶0̶ | C̶o̶m̶e̶n̶i̶t̶y̶ ̶M̶a̶s̶t̶e̶r̶C̶a̶r̶d̶ ̶$̶1̶,̶1̶8̶0̶
Message 4 of 19
Rpgough0311
Valued Member

Either really, but I prefer the Chase Visa. She could also get a nice amount to her gift card balance for being approved. On prime day it was $150.

It also starts her relationship with Chase. And that's a plus

Message 5 of 19
SirMilo
Regular Contributor

I would say to go for the Chase since it opens up additional options for use.

Many people have no issues with Synchrony but my experience was less than satisfactory so I would be apprehensive to recommend that option.

Message 6 of 19
Beast26
Frequent Contributor

What was your experience with synchrony version?

Revolving history: 2 years 4months across the board
AAoA:
TU: 5yrs 10months
EX: 2yrs 2 months
EQ: ~5yrs 6 months
Inquiries: Ex: 1/12. EQ: 1/12 Tu: 1/12
As of 10-5-2020

Quicksilver $3,000
Discover It Miles $17,500
Chase Freedom Flex $4,400
Amazon Prime Store Card $6,000
Walmart MC $2,500
Wells Fargo Active Cash $8,000
Citi Custom Cash $8,400
Verizon Visa $20,000
Message 7 of 19
ccquest
Established Contributor

I'd say the Chase one if she qualifies under 5/24 and wants any flexibility to spend it elsewhere, but Sync if she wants to be able to more easily/conviently (aka no HP) increase the limit over time.

Can you have multiple cards under one Prime account? That'd save $120 a year right there which could be nice if she doesn't want to be responsible for maintaining her own Prime down the line. I know under my account, it says I'd have saved around $60-80 if I had a Prime card usually which means I'm not really breaking even on a "annual fee" of $120.

@Rpgough0311 wrote:

Either really, but I prefer the Chase Visa. She could also get a nice amount to her gift card balance for being approved. On prime day it was $150.

That's funny, my offer dropped to $60 on Prime Day then bumped up to $100 right after.

as of 1/1/23
Current Cards:
Message 8 of 19
SirMilo
Regular Contributor

@Beast26 wrote:

What was your experience with synchrony version?

I assume that you are asking me this question. The usage of the card was fine and I had no issues with that.

The problem I encountered was a 2nd hard pull for a different store card that I never requested within a few weeks of being approved for the Amazon Store card. When I called Synchrony to complain about this (in a courteous fashion) and requested a removal of said HP from my report, they decided to hold my 3rd online payment for a full 10 business days before crediting the payment to my account. Thank goodness I made the payment a couple of days after the purchase or it would have posted late for sure. My first 2 online payments posted in 2-3 days.

I fired them for fear that they would intentionally delay processing my payments in order to elevate me to a much higher interest rate. I was also concerned about receiving more random unrequested HPs that I would have to fight. No thanks.

Message 9 of 19
Beast26
Frequent Contributor

How is the chase Amazon in terms of growth potential?  I know it's a hard pull but is it a slow grower compared to the synchrony version?  I see many reach 10k within a year with synchrony but I don't see to many CLI posts about the chase version.  That may be because people don't want a hard pull for the CLI but idk.

Revolving history: 2 years 4months across the board
AAoA:
TU: 5yrs 10months
EX: 2yrs 2 months
EQ: ~5yrs 6 months
Inquiries: Ex: 1/12. EQ: 1/12 Tu: 1/12
As of 10-5-2020

Quicksilver $3,000
Discover It Miles $17,500
Chase Freedom Flex $4,400
Amazon Prime Store Card $6,000
Walmart MC $2,500
Wells Fargo Active Cash $8,000
Citi Custom Cash $8,400
Verizon Visa $20,000
Message 10 of 19
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.