cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Amazon Store Card - Is it bad or good?

tag
Dalmus
Valued Contributor

Re: Amazon Store Card - Is it bad or good?

I don't recall any threads where people have had problems with setting up the financing offers... It's very simple. If your purchase exceeds a certain amount, they ask you at checkout if you'd rather have 5% cash back, or 0% financing for X months.

It's the one store card that is actually as good as a major credit card as long as you use it correctly.

NFCU MR: $25K | Venture: $21K | Amex ED: $18K | NFCU CR: $18K | Amex BCE: $15K | IT #1: $17.5K | PNC Core: $15K | PPMC:  $12K | Wells Fargo: $11K | Savor: 12K | Cap1 QS: $8.5K | Barclays Rewards: $7.75K | IT #2: $7.3K | MLife: $9.5K | Sportsman's Guide: $8.7K | PenFed PR: $5.5K | Elan Plat: $2.3K | TRV: $3.6K | BotW: $3K

Current FICO 8 Scores: EQ: 828| TU: 805 | EX: 814

Message 11 of 25
gibeon
Established Contributor

1) They've been fine for me. Worst I've had is they wouldn't raise my credit limit... which is fine because of...

2) They lowered my limit once... it was right after I was four days late on a payment because I wrote down the wrong due date and didn't log in in time. My bad.

3) I've literally had NO issues setting up the 0% I've used it a dozen times in the last year, and you can even modify how your payments are allocated in your account settings.

Now that Chase Amazon is 5% AT amazon (if you're a Prime member), the store card is only good for the 0% financing. (IMHO)

@Anonymous wrote:
I am reading lot of negative comments about Amazon Store card, and most of the people give following reasons
1) poor Customer service

2) It reduces credit limit without sending any notice or sometimes without any reason

3) most of the users seem to have problem with setting up financing options provided by Amazon

Please let me know your comments about this card. If it is good to have

Thank You

23 Open Bank Cards / 7 Open Store Cards / TOO many inquires / Mid/High 600's
Message 12 of 25
adifferentme
Contributor

I actually have read a lot of negative reviews too. Mainly on credit karma but so far I have not had any problems at all. I called after getting approved and asked for my full account number so that I could set up my account online, that way I would be able to check daily for my 1st bill, account balances, etc... customer service was really friendly and unlike some of the reviews I read I was able to understand clearly. I have not had any problems and I am happy with my card.
Message 13 of 25
Steelersboy
Frequent Contributor

Great card, I've had zero issues with it. Great 0% financing options for big purchases too as someone else mentioned.

If a man empties his purse into his head, no one can take it from him. An investment in knowledge always pays the best interest. - Benjamin Franklin |Capital One Quicksilver Cash Rewards|Chase Amazon Visa Rewards|BOA Cash Rewards|Commence MC| Citi Double Cash| Amazon Prime Store Card|Discover It|Chase Freedom|Chase Freedom Unlimited|Amex BCE|Wells Fargo Cash Wise|Barclays Cashforward
$89,500 total card credit FICO Equifax-823, FICO Transunion-774, FICO Experian-769, DTI-20.4%
Message 14 of 25
Anonymous
Not applicable

I've had the card for many years now and never once had an issue.  I've made heavy use of the 0% and never once had an issue.

If I had to knock it for anything it would be not getting that great of CLI's but at the same time I've never cared to actually deal with a human when requesting the increase.

Message 15 of 25
Anonymous
Not applicable

Many of the negative reviews I've read have had to do with problems in accessing the online account services. It turns out that it's because the link that Amazon originally gives you to go to your card account doesn't work properly for a lot of people, causing problems with things like scheduling payments on time. You need to go directly to Synchrony Bank's website for the Amazon store card and sign in there; from thence you'll be able to carry out all functions properly. (I had to do a bit of reading on the store card forum on Amazon to find this out!)

Message 16 of 25
pipeguy
Senior Contributor

I've had a store "Prime" account for 4-5 years, between 5% back or special 6-12-18 month 0% financing, its a great option. I PIF if I take the 5% and pay in 3-4 months on the 0% 6 month option, I've had the 12 month option but I don't remember ever taking more than 5 months to pay it off. If I had to nit pick, I've been "stuck" at an $8k CL for over two years and I'm not going to call credit solutions to beg for more (not that I need any more) I also recently applied and was approved for the Chase Amazon Metal card, thats 5% but no promotional free financing ($5k SL) APR is lower than my Cash Freedom UL by 5 points - go figure. 

Message 17 of 25
Anonymous
Not applicable

No problems here and love the 5%.  Never had an issue stting up the financing options, just a couple of clicks.  Hmm.

Message 18 of 25
Anonymous
Not applicable

The only problem I have with the card is that I don't find many uses for it. With the Amazon Prime VISA I get 5% back as well. I only keep the Store Card around in case I want to finance a big Amazon purhcase.

Message 19 of 25
Anonymous
Not applicable

I should note that I'm feeling a little irked at having the whole $99.99 annual Prime fee dumped on my card at once, which pushed my balance and utilization up so that I'll have to be careful for the next month or so about how much I put on that card until I get the fee paid off again. I must obviously have misread the terms, as I had been under the impression that they'd charge me on a monthly basis.

Message 20 of 25
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.