Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Amazon Store Card - Not a great experience

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Amazon Store Card - Not a great experience

I don't have experience with the Amazon store card, but I have had experience with the Lowe's card, also managed by Synchrony Bank, FKA GE Capital Bank, and my experience has been pretty bad. The website is clunky. And for the longest time, they suffered from the tragic combination of 1) not having an auto-pay option and 2) outright refusal to allow access from mint.com. The latter made it impossible to keep an eye on as I do with the other 34 cards in my portfolio, which made the former a more acute problem as it made it the only card for which I needed to actually pay attention to the statement and schedule a payment. The fact that that was an issue probably indicates an intellectual laziness on my part, but there it is. They have finally addressed the auto-pay issue, but AFAIK, still won't allow integration with mint.com. Boo. Card will remain in the sockdrawer until they give me a really good reason to use it.

I will second the recommendation of the SallieMae card for 5% at Amazon. I also have the Chase Amazon card for backup, in case the SM goes away or I ever go over $750/mo at Amazon.

Chris.

Message 11 of 21
Anonymous
Not applicable

@recruiter89 wrote:

For anyone considering this card, I just closed my account having it less than 1 year. I had a horrible experience with Synchrony Bank that took this card over from GE Capital. They started me off with even half way decent credit at a CL of $600 and only moved it up after 6 months to $1600 even though my credit scores improved to over 740. The website is very basic and they are a hit or miss sending statements so anyone that doesnt pay attention to their account may miss a payment. There is no human interaction whatsoever with this Bank and when I closed the account it was a simple hit of two buttons on the website and it was closed. They don't care enough about their customers and I was glad to be done with them. The whole experience was a joke.

YES.  I missed TWO payments due to my balance showing zero.  I received no statements during this time.  It had turned out that I was supposed to sign up for a new online account after requesting a replacement card because the first one was lost.  No one ever told me this.  So I was logging into the original online account and seeing a card with a zero balance that was actually closed. Dealing with Synchrony's customer service to resolve this matter has been a pain, to say the least. 

Message 12 of 21
Berk
Established Contributor

@recruiter89 wrote:

yup, another joke. I understood why the paper, but why send a card at all?, Not like I was going to pull it out.

I know that I have had to pull mine out a time or two when I have had to add my card as the payment on a new address I was having stuff shipped to.

Message 13 of 21
Anonymous
Not applicable

@recruiter89 wrote:

yup tried it and got shot down numerous times. Thought it was strange since I have a 40K limit on Diners and 25K limits on all others. I wasnt too hasty in closing. This card gave no rewards to have it open so why bother.

I don't have the card, but I read here that some Amazon Store cardholders were getting the option of either paying for stuff in six months at 0% or pay now at a 5% discount.  I am pretty sure I didn't dream that.  I thought that was the way that card was going to operate from now on.

Message 14 of 21
Berk
Established Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@recruiter89 wrote:

yup tried it and got shot down numerous times. Thought it was strange since I have a 40K limit on Diners and 25K limits on all others. I wasnt too hasty in closing. This card gave no rewards to have it open so why bother.

I don't have the card, but I read here that some Amazon Store cardholders were getting the option of either paying for stuff in six months at 0% or pay now at a 5% discount.  I am pretty sure I didn't dream that.  I thought that was the way that card was going to operate from now on.

That is my understanding as well. 5% statement credit or same as cash for specified times depending on amount spent.

Message 15 of 21
Anonymous
Not applicable

I am not sure if it's Synchrony Bank or if it has something to do with the company itself which in this case is Amazon. For over a year Amazon kept my limit at $700  and just last month gave me an auto increase of only $300 they denied all over cli requests I put in myself. Where as my paypal smartcon just gave my a 4x auto increase after only 3 statements and I didn't even request it. And the day after I opened my Sams account I called and they gave an additional $500 limit. 

Amazon doesn't have the best customer service and neither does their card. 

Message 16 of 21
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

I am not sure if it's Synchrony Bank or if it has something to do with the company itself which in this case is Amazon. For over a year Amazon kept my limit at $700  and just last month gave me an auto increase of only $300 they denied all over cli requests I put in myself. Where as my paypal smartcon just gave my a 4x auto increase after only 3 statements and I didn't even request it. And the day after I opened my Sams account I called and they gave an additional $500 limit. 

Amazon doesn't have the best customer service and neither does their card. 

I don't know about the card, but Amazon customer service has been FANTASTIC to me.  They have conceded every single thing I have requested, time after time.  All over secured emails.  Or maybe I am just too darn reasonable!

Message 17 of 21
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Berk wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@recruiter89 wrote:

That is my understanding as well. 5% statement credit or same as cash for specified times depending on amount spent.

That is why I am keeping this card as a future store card for me, once my one store card gets tired of not being used...

Message 18 of 21
Involver
Valued Contributor

Have used this card very seldomly over the past two years. Opened it for Christmas two years ago when I didn't know a thing about credit other than that mine was horrible. Got an $800 CL which I was very thankful for. After finally getting my credit cleaned up and over 800 I now have a $25k limit. No complaints here, sorry you did not have such a positive experience. As others have mentioned Sallie Mae is the way to go, anyways.
Message 19 of 21
Anonymous
Not applicable

I have had the Amazon store card since last month and hope I dont have the same experience Smiley Sad Thanks for sharing OP.......I havent had any issues with their website, payments or customer service so far. I actually used chat and got a refund of $50 due to the price changing of the item I bought in 7 days.

The only problem I have right now is I have a $133 balance that will be paid off this Thursday BUT when I log on to my account it says I dont have anything due, my due date is 11/10......it been 7 days and a new statement hasnt cut. I also signed up for paperless statements. Like I said it will be paid this Thursday but I am wondering why its taking so long for the statement to cut and hope its not a problem with their site......I dont think I have ever waited 7 days after the due date for a statement to cut.

Im a big amazon shopper and currently rebuilding which is the reason I applied for the store card. I hope one day to have the sallie mae or Chase Amazon so I would definitely go with one of those. Good luck with whatever you decide and sorry you have such a horrible experience.
Message 20 of 21
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.