Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Amazon and Sallie Mae

tag
xsvspd
Regular Contributor

Amazon and Sallie Mae

I recently received my new Sallie Mae MC, $4.6k CL. Now I see I get 5% back for bookstore purchases, i.e. Amazon. Does that mean everything I order from Amazon counts? Or do I have to specifically purchase books?

Hover over card to see limits

Starting score 3/2013 - 585. Score as of 5/2014 - 725.
Message 1 of 13
12 REPLIES 12
LearningMoreAboutCredit
Frequent Contributor

Re: Amazon and Sallie Mae

@xsvspd wrote:

I recently received my new Sallie Mae MC, $4.6k CL. Now I see I get 5% back for bookstore purchases, i.e. Amazon. Does that mean everything I order from Amazon counts? Or do I have to specifically purchase books?

Amazon was the original online bookstore so the answer is yes; every purchase will count...others have reported the same.  Congrats on your approval.

Any advice given is always YMMV...

Current FICOs: 740+ across the board | Goal: >760 FICO | Total CLs: $63.3k/$60k Goal | Utilization: 19% | Last App: 05/01/2014 | INQ: EX: 10, EQ: 8, TU: 5, All Expire 06/2016; No Collections/Charge Offs/BK's | AAoA: 7yrs.
| All Reports Frozen!!! | No Apps til 12/2015 | Homeowner since: 06/28/13 | White Whales: Marriott Rewards, Discover IT, Sallie Mae WMC, Sams MC
Message 2 of 13
trumpet-205
Valued Contributor

Amazon and Amazon Marketplace should works. Although keep in mind that some time Amazon labels themselves as Computer Service instead of Bookstore.

Amazon Digital, Amazon Prime subscription fee, and Amazon Payment do NOT work.

Message 3 of 13
BottomRanker
New Contributor

All of my recent Amazon purchases on a Visa card have been coded as "Computer Network/Information Services", not "Book Stores".  YMMV.

Message 4 of 13
trumpet-205
Valued Contributor

@BottomRanker wrote:

All of my recent Amazon purchases on a Visa card have been coded as "Computer Network/Information Services", not "Book Stores".  YMMV.

It is possible that Amazon is doing away book store labeling. Make sense since they sell a lot more than book these days.

Message 5 of 13
bski

@trumpet-205 wrote:

Amazon and Amazon Marketplace should works. Although keep in mind that some time Amazon labels themselves as Computer Service instead of Bookstore.

Amazon Digital, Amazon Prime subscription fee, and Amazon Payment do NOT work.

This pretty much matches my experience, although in nine months of having the card, I've never had a purchase labeled as Computer Services. I'm sure it happens, but it seems to be fairly rare.

YMMV, of course.

Message 6 of 13
clocktick
Valued Contributor

All of my Amazon purchases have counted for the 5% with the Sallie Mae card so far.  I like the Barclays site too as it has the points right next to every purchase. 

11/30/08 TU 648 EX 672 EQ 656 SEPT 2014 TU 787 EX 789 EQ ???
Amex BCP $24.1K/Clear $8.5- Sallie Mae $27.5 -Cap One QS $7.5 - Chase Freedom $7.5/United $5k/CSP $20k/Ink- Citi DP $9.5/Dividend $13k/HHHx2 $15k/16.4/Reserve $4.5k Best Buy $1940 HD $1701- Discover IT $15k - Elan $8k GEMB Lowes $20k - Macy's $2k - Kohl's $800

Starting Score: 648
Current Score: 736
Goal Score: 765

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge

Message 7 of 13
Kenny
Moderator Emeritus

Never have I ever had an Amazon purchase show up as anything other than 5x points with my Sallie Mae.
Message 8 of 13
mongstradamus
Super Contributor

@KennyRS wrote:
Never have I ever had an Amazon purchase show up as anything other than 5x points with my Sallie Mae.

I am sooo  tempted by this sallie mae card :-) I hope when i get it they will still have all amazon purchases covered :-)

EX Fico 804 11/16/16 Fako 800 Credit.com 11/16/16
EQ SW bank enhanced 11/16/16 839 CK fako 822 11/16/16
TU Fico discover 10/19/16 814 Fako 819 Creditkarma 11/16/16
Message 9 of 13
Kenny
Moderator Emeritus

@mongstradamus wrote:

@KennyRS wrote:

I am sooo  tempted by this sallie mae card :-) I hope when i get it they will still have all amazon purchases covered :-)

Why are you not apping for it? I was holding out as well, but I just decided that the score was of no use to me if I am waiting for it to reach a certain number. You want excellent credit so that if you need it you can use it. No sense in "wasting money" purchasing these products with an inferior card. (Or at least that's how I finally rationalized the HP) Smiley Wink

You'll get it! The only question is CL Smiley Happy

Message 10 of 13
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.