Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Amazon gift cards bought with credit card at Staples

tag
red259
Super Contributor

Amazon gift cards bought with credit card at Staples

I wanted to buy some amazon gift cards for presents at the last minute. I know I can go online and just print them out, but I'd rather a physical card. I know you can't buy cash gift cards with credit cards but do stores like staples apply that rule to amazon gift cards as well? Since you can't cash them out i'd prefer to buy them at staples or something where I get 5x points and then use them as holiday gifts. Normally I just use the freedom online at amazon but I don't think it is a cateogory this year. Actually it didn't occur to me but does staples charge a markup on amazon giftcards? Since I normally just buy direct from amazon I never thought abut it and when I pay $50 I get a $50 card. 

;
Starting Score: EQ: 714, TU 684
Current Score: EQ: 725 7/30/13, TU 684 6/2013, Exp 828 5/2018, Last App 8/5/17
Goal Score: 800 (Achieved!) In garden until Sepetember 2019
Message 1 of 14
13 REPLIES 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Amazon gift cards bought with credit card at Staples

@red259 wrote:

I wanted to buy some amazon gift cards for presents at the last minute. I know I can go online and just print them out, but I'd rather a physical card. I know you can't buy cash gift cards with credit cards but do stores like staples apply that rule to amazon gift cards as well? Since you can't cash them out i'd prefer to buy them at staples or something where I get 5x points and then use them as holiday gifts. Normally I just use the freedom online at amazon but I don't think it is a cateogory this year. Actually it didn't occur to me but does staples charge a markup on amazon giftcards? Since I normally just buy direct from amazon I never thought abut it and when I pay $50 I get a $50 card. 

They will certainly allow you to buy Amazon gift cards with a credit card because in fact they do allow you to purchase Visa gift cards up to $300 with credit cards.

Howeveri I am not positive Staples carries AGCs because I do not se them online

Message 2 of 14
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

Retail gift cards  aren't marked up at staples (or other places that I am aware of).   The V/MC/AMEX cards will have a purchase fee, but not other types.

Message 3 of 14
red259
Super Contributor

@longtimelurker wrote:

Retail gift cards  aren't marked up at staples (or other places that I am aware of).   The V/MC/AMEX cards will have a purchase fee, but not other types.

Thanks. Good to know.

;
Message 4 of 14
Khalifa_Jayy
Regular Contributor

Good info ITT.
TOTAL CREDIT LIMIT:
FICO:
CREDIT AGE:

Message 5 of 14
red259
Super Contributor

Sadly staples was sold out of them, so I guess I will need to order online unless my groccery store has them and is willing to take credit card. 

;
Message 6 of 14
UncleB
Credit Mentor

@red259 wrote:

Sadly staples was sold out of them, so I guess I will need to order online unless my groccery store has them and is willing to take credit card. 

I regularly buy them at grocery stores and have no problem paying by credit card (I prefer the grocery store since I get fuel points, and I get 6% cash back using the BCP).  You can also find them at Publix.

Also, I've bought Amazon gift cards at Lowe's more than once on credit as well... it's how I keep my Lowe's credit account active during my 'slow' periods (you don't get 5% off gift cards like most Lowe's purchases).  I've also bought Amazon cards at Lowe's during the recent Amex offers - $10 off $50 Lowe's purchase - so I bought three and paid for them separately with a different Amex each time.  Easy-peasy.  Smiley Wink

Message 7 of 14
DantGwyrdd
Frequent Contributor

I've just (the other day) bought a $50.00 Amazon GC and a $50.00 Sears GC at Kroger and paid with my Amex; the only weird thing is that the cashier was prompted to verify that the name on my ID matches the name on my CC. I don't know if it's because of the amount or because the Amazon GC was the variable load kind ($25-$500), but it's something to keep in mind.

Message 8 of 14
UncleB
Credit Mentor

@DantGwyrdd wrote:

I've just (the other day) bought a $50.00 Amazon GC and a $50.00 Sears GC at Kroger and paid with my Amex; the only weird thing is that the cashier was prompted to verify that the name on my ID matches the name on my CC. I don't know if it's because of the amount or because the Amazon GC was the variable load kind ($25-$500), but it's something to keep in mind.

Hmm... that's odd.  Does your local store have the chip readers turned on in their credit card readers?

My local Kroger used to be prompted automatically to enter the DL number into the register for GC purchases of $100 or more that were paid by credit card, but once they started taking chip credit cards the register no longer prompts for this.  It never bothered me too much but it is nice not having to do that step now.

Just a note about Kroger and the variable-load cards... when they are running the 4x fuel point special, the variable-load cards never earn the bonus fuel points.  If you call their 800 number they can manually give you the points, but I learned a while back to avoid the variable-load cards during the promotions.  Smiley Wink

Message 9 of 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

@DantGwyrdd wrote:

It appears to be Kroger policy, and has to do with amount on a credit card.

I used to buy Amazon (and anyplace else I was going) at Kroger to get the fuel points.  Could get up to $2 off a gallon of gas.  When it was $3 a gallon, could pay a bit over $1.

Gawd, do I miss Kroger.

OP, definitely try out the supermarket.  I think, at this point, all supermarkets carry Amazon (probably Walgreens, etc, as well)

Message 10 of 14
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.