cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Amercan Express Platinum Qualification

tag
Wata

Amercan Express Platinum Qualification

I enrolled for Gold in Feb. 13, and if AMEX agrees, would like to upgrade to platinum. My experian is 727, have 2 other credit cards from Apr. 12, and have plenty of cash in the bank. Do I need to wait for minimum one year after enrollment of Amex gold?
Message 1 of 14
13 REPLIES 13
dodfire
Valued Contributor

Re: Amercan Express Platinum Qualification

Welcome to the Forums!!!

If you want to upgrade you will have to wait 13 months.

*8/10/13
Message 2 of 14
09Lexie
Moderator Emerita

Welcome to the forum!

Dodfire is correct! The CARD Act is the reason.
Message 3 of 14
swpopham
Established Contributor

that is not true, we had our first prg for 3 months before it started popping up saying upgrade to platinum now, click here!!! all you have to do is call

"As long as the music is playing, you've got to get up and dance," he said. "We're still dancing."---Prince CEO Citi Bank

"Money isn't the most important thing in life, but it's reasonably close to oxygen on the "gotta have it" scale". ~Zig Ziglar
Message 4 of 14
dodfire
Valued Contributor

@swpopham wrote:

that is not true, we had our first prg for 3 months before it started popping up saying upgrade to platinum now, click here!!! all you have to do is call

And did you upgrade to the platinum after you got the "pop-up" at 3 months??

*8/10/13
Message 5 of 14
swpopham
Established Contributor

my wife did on hers. The card act applies to credit cards not charge cards.

"As long as the music is playing, you've got to get up and dance," he said. "We're still dancing."---Prince CEO Citi Bank

"Money isn't the most important thing in life, but it's reasonably close to oxygen on the "gotta have it" scale". ~Zig Ziglar
Message 6 of 14
dodfire
Valued Contributor

@swpopham wrote:

I guess you were a special case or very lucky.

I tried numerous times, both online after getting the "popup" and also called a total of 3 times.

Each time was told that due to the card act, "annual fees" that it could not be done until the 13th month.

In the end, I had to apply for the platinum card.

*8/10/13
Message 7 of 14
swpopham
Established Contributor

@dodfire wrote:

@swpopham wrote:

I guess you were a special case or very lucky.

I tried numerous times, both online after getting the "popup" and also called a total of 3 times.

Each time was told that due to the card act, "annual fees" that it could not be done until the 13th month.

In the end, I had to apply for the platinum card.

You might be right. We might have done it right before the act went in to effect also.

OP just call and ask.

Message 8 of 14
frugalQ
Valued Contributor

Same with me, dodfire! I got the popup msg a couple of months after getting the Green in Apr 2012. When I tried, it said I wasn't eligible. When I called, the rep said the same.
AmEx Green NPSL | Amex BCP 16K | Citi Simplicity 10k | Discover IT 9K | Chase Slate 7.5K | Amex Hilton HHonors Surpass 7K | Capital One QuickSilver 6K | Home Depot 5k | Chase Freedom 4.5K | LOC 2.5K
Message 9 of 14
Wata

Thanks all. One of the reason I want to apply for platinum is that I heard credit score will rise. Will try to call Amex.
Message 10 of 14
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.