Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

American Airlines

tag
TheBoondocks
Established Contributor

American Airlines

Hey guys, I was wondering how come Citi and Barclay have AA, and it seems like no other lenders have the same product like maybe SouthWest or United, JetBlue, etc. Is it worth picking up the AA cards and also why do they push their credit card offers in the flight when I was flying with them? Thanks.
Message 1 of 15
14 REPLIES 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: American Airlines

They push the cards in flight, because AA makes majority of its profit from selling miles to Citi and Barclay.

AA has two banks issuing cards because its a compromise when it merged with US airways years back.

If you fly AA somewhat regularly (4 times a year ish), picking up AA cards is probbaly a good idea. It has excellent SUB, some okay earning rate, and decent perks (priority boarding, free checked bags, reduced mileage award).

Message 2 of 15
FinStar
Moderator Emeritus

@TheBoondocks wrote:
Hey guys, I was wondering how come Citi and Barclay have AA, and it seems like no other lenders have the same product like maybe SouthWest or United, JetBlue, etc. Is it worth picking up the AA cards and also why do they push their credit card offers in the flight when I was flying with them? Thanks.

Actually, there's a few hotel/airlines (at least here in the US) that have dual partnerships with some financial institutions.  For instance, the Hilton card (in its own flavors) used to be offered by both Citi and AmEx before AmEx became the exclusive issuer.   The Marriott/Bonvoy CC is offered by Chase and AmEx.  Likewise, Chase and First Hawaiian Bank also offer the United CC.  Just some examples @TheBoondocks

Message 3 of 15
Aim_High
Super Contributor

@TheBoondocks wrote:
I was wondering how come Citi and Barclay have AA, and it seems like no other lenders have the same product like maybe SouthWest or United, JetBlue, etc. Is it worth picking up the AA cards and also why do they push their credit card offers in the flight when I was flying with them?

CITI and Barclays have AA cards for same reason that Chase has United and Southwest and American Express has Delta and Bank of America has Alaska, etc etc.  It's a partnership and normally one lender peddles cards for one airline.  As pointed out, Barclays has the Aviator cards as a carry-over from American-US Air Merger a few years ago.  Maybe at some point, they'll go back to a single lender.

They push the card offers in flight because it's overall a money-making program for the airline.  People may neglect to claim their miles or they end up purchasing additional miles or tickets to complete a trip.  The $99 AF is only waived in year one.  Moreover, getting a customer to carry your credit card (whether it's an airline, a hotel, or a retail store) builds brand loyalty and gives that business a way to stay in touch with you to build more revenue.  They give you some freebies in exchange for the hopes that you'll come back more frequently or prefer them over competitors.  Same reason Starbucks Coffee or Jersey Mikes Subs or Kohl's department store gives special discounts to people who sign up for their loyalty programs or credit card offers.  It's a marketing tool.

Business Cards

Length of Credit > 40 years; Total Credit Limits >$898K
Top Lender TCL - Chase 156.4 - BofA 99.7 - AMEX 95.0 - CITI 94.5 - NFCU 80.0
AoOA > 30 years (Jun 1993); AoYA (Feb 2024)
* Hover cursor over cards to see name & CL, or press & hold on mobile app.
Message 4 of 15
wasCB14
Super Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

They push the cards in flight, because AA makes majority of its profit from selling miles to Citi and Barclay.

AA has two banks issuing cards because its a compromise when it merged with US airways years back.

If you fly AA somewhat regularly (4 times a year ish), pickuping up AA cards is probbaly a good idea. It has excellent SUB, some okay earning rate, and decent perks (priority boarding, free checked bags, reduced mileage award).

"Priority" is a relative term. If you're flying between two cities with a lot of elites, 80% of passengers can quite easily board before you.

Barclays and Bank of Hawaii both issued the Hawaiian Airlines card not so long ago. And MF discussed some other AA card issued in the Carribean or Central America not that long ago.

Personal spend: Amex Gold, Amex Schwab Plat., BofA PR+CCR(x2), Costco
Business use: Amex Bus. Plat., BBP, Lowes Amex AU, CFU AU
Perks: Delta Plat., United Explorer, IHG49, Hyatt, "Old SPG"
Mostly SD: Freedom Flex, Freedom, Arrival
Upgrade/Downgrade games: ED, BCE
SUB chasing: AA Platinum Select
Message 5 of 15
mongstradamus
Super Contributor

I don't know if it has anything to do with it but when barclays was first issuing the card it was a us airways card, and then they got bought up by AA , and they kept issuing the same card.

EX Fico 804 11/16/16 Fako 800 Credit.com 11/16/16
EQ SW bank enhanced 11/16/16 839 CK fako 822 11/16/16
TU Fico discover 10/19/16 814 Fako 819 Creditkarma 11/16/16
Message 6 of 15
FinStar
Moderator Emeritus

@wasCB14 wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

If you fly AA somewhat regularly (4 times a year ish), pickuping up AA cards is probbaly a good idea. It has excellent SUB, some okay earning rate, and decent perks (priority boarding, free checked bags, reduced mileage award).

"Priority" is a relative term. If you're flying between two cities with a lot of elites, 80% of passengers can quite easily board before you.

Barclays and Bank of Hawaii both issued the Hawaiian Airlines card not so long ago. And MF discussed some other AA card issued in the Carribean or Central America not that long ago.

Just to clarify Bank of Hawaii and Barclays have a financial partnership to issue the Hawaiian Airlines CC, since Bank of Hawaii does not presently have that infrastructure.  In the past, Bank of Hawaii partnered with BoA to issue the same card 🙂

Message 7 of 15
TheBoondocks
Established Contributor

Here's the thing, with AA when I flew with them, constantly they keep changing gates and they're always late. I mean as long as I get from point A to B it's what matters, however it takes way too long, I got like 2-3 hrs layover. If I stopped in Chicago and I want to explore, guess what once I leave and want to go back into the airport for my connecting flight, I have to check in at the security all over again. Might as well, stay in the airport but... The food over there is crazy expensive... I saw a flight which I wanted to go at 10K AA+ $11. So, if I spend $5K/y I get a RT ticket. But, if I spent $5K/y on a 3% card, I'll hit $180 CB. I believe the value of AA is 1.4c, so even if I did get the $180 CB, I still have to pay out of pocket maybe like $150 or so. Not bad.
Message 8 of 15
Anonymous
Not applicable

FYI, the AA card gets 25% off food purchased in flight. ^

If you fly AA primarily, then it can be a useful card. If you're SUB hunting for a one off use, maybe not the best choice.

Message 9 of 15
wasCB14
Super Contributor

@FinStar wrote:

@wasCB14 wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Just to clarify Bank of Hawaii and Barclays have a financial partnership to issue the Hawaiian Airlines CC, since Bank of Hawaii does not presently have that infrastructure.  In the past, Bank of Hawaii partnered with BoA to issue the same card 🙂

Ahh. Depending on which link a person followed, the card image would have a BoH or Barclays logo, so I assumed the issuers were competing.

Personal spend: Amex Gold, Amex Schwab Plat., BofA PR+CCR(x2), Costco
Business use: Amex Bus. Plat., BBP, Lowes Amex AU, CFU AU
Perks: Delta Plat., United Explorer, IHG49, Hyatt, "Old SPG"
Mostly SD: Freedom Flex, Freedom, Arrival
Upgrade/Downgrade games: ED, BCE
SUB chasing: AA Platinum Select
Message 10 of 15
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.