Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

American Blacklist, is it true?

tag
Slab
Frequent Contributor

American Blacklist, is it true?

American Express closed my account about 12 years ago. There was an outstanding balance but dropped off my credit report about 5 or 6 years ago. I received a letter about a year ago from American Express or a CA stating that there was nothing that they could do about the outstanding balance other than deny me credit in the future. Is it true that American Express will blacklist for this regardless of how much time has passed?

Equifax FICO 781, Transunion FICO 821, Experian FICO 807,

810 goal on all three by 3-1-2015
Message 1 of 8
7 REPLIES 7
Jutz
Valued Contributor

Re: American Blacklist, is it true?

Yes, 100%.  Some people have slipped through the cracks, but that is their policy.  If you pay in full however, no matter how old, you have a way back in.

• Current: EQ FICO 706, TU FICO 701, EX FICO 706 | Starting Score: 525 (05/2012)
  • Starting total revolving credit: $1100 | Current total revolving credit: $36,700
  • Inquiries (12 Months): EQ 2 TU 1 EX 1 | Most Recent: 1/21/2014
Chase Freedom $9500
DCU Visa $10000
Capital One QS $2000
AMEX BCE $3000
Lowe's CC $8500
WalMart CC $3100
BOA Platinum $600
AMEX Gold NPSL
Message 2 of 8
pizzadude
Credit Mentor

@Jutz wrote:

Yes, 100%.  Some people have slipped through the cracks, but that is their policy.  If you pay in full however, no matter how old, you have a way back in.

+1.   Sometimes they will forget about an old unpaid debt but quite often they remember.

If you apply for a card and are blacklisted you shouldn't incurr an inquiry, they'll just deny you straightaway.

March2010 FICO® ~ 695 TU, 653 EQ, 697 EX
Message 3 of 8
Creditaddict
Legendary Contributor

Some have gotten upset in past with such advice but it is really the best and really only way I know to truly find out if you are blacklisted and that is to apply for a card with them and I HIGHLY suggest the Gold Charge Card, don't apply for a credit card.... if you are blacklisted you will get flat denial or the 7-10 message... but usually within in a couple minutes you can log in to check status link and it will be done already and declined... NO HP.

If you BK with Amex they apear to allow you back in after 7+ years, "SOME" have been earlier, some later like after bk is gone from reports.  Now if you never BK and you owe money, they seem to have a little longer memory!

Message 4 of 8
bahbahd
Established Contributor

I think I have a business card with them from a short lived company of mine from 6 to 8 years ago.  Maybe between $1000 and $2500 on one business gold charge card. I have always just wanted to call them up and pay this balance.  Should I just call up an pay before attempting to app for a new card? The whole app and see things seems kind of strange.

Message 5 of 8
Creditaddict
Legendary Contributor

@bahbahd wrote:

I think I have a business card with them from a short lived company of mine from 6 to 8 years ago.  Maybe between $1000 and $2500 on one business gold charge card. I have always just wanted to call them up and pay this balance.  Should I just call up an pay before attempting to app for a new card? The whole app and see things seems kind of strange.

I would apply first.

If it's history then you can call and say I tried to apply and looks like I may have had an account that went bad, who, what, do I need to do to pay and get new accounts?!

Message 6 of 8
bahbahd
Established Contributor

@Creditaddict wrote:

@bahbahd wrote:

I would apply first.

If it's history then you can call and say I tried to apply and looks like I may have had an account that went bad, who, what, do I need to do to pay and get new accounts?!

I still want to pay this debt anyway, I'm not trying to get around that. I should have paid it years ago when it was brought to my attention by a phone call from NCO collections. It's never appeared on any of my credit reports - OC or CA. I think they even tried to sue me and have me served at a very old address. I want an personal Amex card again. Just want to make sure I'm on their good side with this old business card account gone bad.

Message 7 of 8
Slab
Frequent Contributor

Thanks for all of the information.

Equifax FICO 781, Transunion FICO 821, Experian FICO 807,

810 goal on all three by 3-1-2015
Message 8 of 8
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.