Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

American Express After BK 7

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

American Express After BK 7

Hi guys

I had a bk 7 discharged April 2018 I want to try and get a Amex card. Fico 8 is 672 

How long does it usually take for Amex to approve post Bk, they were not involved 

Message 1 of 9
8 REPLIES 8
blindambition
Senior Contributor

Re: American Express After BK 7

Not included in BK is 5.5 years.

Message 2 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

5.5 yrs from file date or discharge date ? 

Message 3 of 9
OmarGB9
Community Leader
Super Contributor

Actually it's 5 years and 1 month. And it's post discharge.

Last App: 1/10/2023
Penfed Gold Visa Card

Currently rebuilding as of 04/11/2019.

Starting FICO 8 Scores:

Current FICO 8 scores:

Message 4 of 9
Guyatthebeach
Valued Contributor

MikeD1, 

I got back in Amex literally 5 years and one month after my chapter 7 discharge. I tried the preapproval site and picked the BCE. Over the years I've added the Cash Magnet and Amazon Prime cards.

Guyatthebeach

Message 5 of 9
Rogue46
Established Contributor

It was 5.5 years for me as well.

Message 6 of 9
vic6string
Regular Contributor

It is not discharge, it is file date. BKs drop from your credit report either 7 or 10 years after filing date. When you look at your credit reports, they show the filing date and "last status update" date (which is usually the discharge), so depending on how long the process took, your credit file may never even show a discharge date. As for Amex, I got my BCP the month after my BK filing date was 5 years old (that was last year). I will say, I hve tried a couple of times to get a credit limit increase and they haven't approved it, both times citing the bankruptcy (it was a 13). I put a ton of spend on it, pay in full every month, and have a decent credit score (low to mid  700s) and make close to 6 digits per year so I would be an easy CLI outside of the BK.

Message 7 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

Its 5 years as the group said... I waited until I cleared the 7 year mark to apply for a major card... 

Message 8 of 9
mrcraft
Valued Contributor

For me, it was 5 years and 1 month to get a Cash Magnet.  I included them in my BK, but I paid them 100% back through my CH 13 plan.

Message 9 of 9
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.