Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

American Express Approval Techniques

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

American Express Approval Techniques

If you are or have been on the infamous Amex Blacklist and its been 10 years, Would I have any luck applying for the Amex Green card ?

Message 1 of 10
9 REPLIES 9
Creditwiser
Valued Contributor

Re: American Express Approval Techniques

I would say yes.  And, if you are truly on their Blacklist still, they won't bother to pull your CR's.

NFCU Visa 30k | NFCU Platinum 30k | Cap1 QS 12K | Cap1 QS 11.5K | Barclay MC 9k | Delta Gold Amex 30K | Discover IT 14K | CFNA FS 3200 | CareCredit 20k| Paypal Credit 5k |
Message 2 of 10
happypill
Valued Contributor

Yes, Amex will not pull your credit if you are BL, which is nice.  You'll just get some message like "denied due to prior relationship" or something like that.  It's pretty instant as well.  No reason not to give it a shot (if BL is your concern).

Message 3 of 10
wilmer007
Contributor

doesnt hurt to try. i owed $10k+ to BoA 9 years ago and they gave me a basic partially secured CC to rebuild my credit 6 months ago.

*****|$15,200|********|$13,500|***********|$5,000|*********|$25,000|***********|$500|
Highest Scores: Transunion 08: 821 | Equifax VantageScore 3.0: 780 | Experian 08: 804 | gardening until May 2018 or longer.
Message 4 of 10
wasCB14
Super Contributor

For how much did you burn them? A few thousand or hundreds of thousands?

Personal spend: Amex Gold, Amex Schwab Plat., BofA PR+CCR(x2), Costco
Business use: Amex Bus. Plat., BBP, Lowes Amex AU, CFU AU
Perks: Delta Plat., United Explorer, IHG49, Hyatt, "Old SPG"
Mostly SD: Freedom Flex, Freedom, Arrival
Upgrade/Downgrade games: ED, BCE
SUB chasing: AA Platinum Select
Message 5 of 10
wilmer007
Contributor

my girlfriend at the time was the reason why it happened she just didnt know how to stop wanting things. anyways i had a $3k CL on the CC at the time and with all the purchases i ended up going way over the limit to around $6k (with all the fees) before they finally shut it down. since i had no way of paying $6k the card was sent to collections. i never bothered to check my CR during the first 8 years and when i did check it the collections wasn't on there.

i was pretty surprised i got another card 9 years later. i think the fact that i have a checking account with them for 11 years was something they considered. i also informed the bank rep about how the girlfriend at the time was the reason why it happened and that i have always been a pay in full make 2-3 payments per month guy.

*****|$15,200|********|$13,500|***********|$5,000|*********|$25,000|***********|$500|
Highest Scores: Transunion 08: 821 | Equifax VantageScore 3.0: 780 | Experian 08: 804 | gardening until May 2018 or longer.
Message 6 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

Please post your results op. It would be nice to have some data points on it.
Message 7 of 10
wasCB14
Super Contributor

@wilmer007 wrote:

my girlfriend at the time was the reason why it happened she just didnt know how to stop wanting things. anyways i had a $3k CL on the CC at the time and with all the purchases i ended up going way over the limit to around $6k (with all the fees) before they finally shut it down. since i had no way of paying $6k the card was sent to collections. i never bothered to check my CR during the first 8 years and when i did check it the collections wasn't on there.

i was pretty surprised i got another card 9 years later. i think the fact that i have a checking account with them for 11 years was something they considered. i also informed the bank rep about how the girlfriend at the time was the reason why it happened and that i have always been a pay in full make 2-3 payments per month guy.

Was she an AU? She committed fraud and used it without your authorization? Or she just knew how to get her way?

Personal spend: Amex Gold, Amex Schwab Plat., BofA PR+CCR(x2), Costco
Business use: Amex Bus. Plat., BBP, Lowes Amex AU, CFU AU
Perks: Delta Plat., United Explorer, IHG49, Hyatt, "Old SPG"
Mostly SD: Freedom Flex, Freedom, Arrival
Upgrade/Downgrade games: ED, BCE
SUB chasing: AA Platinum Select
Message 8 of 10
wilmer007
Contributor

she knew how to get her way. like we would go to busch gardens multiple times in a month and we would stay longer than planned. at least i enjoyed half of it through the theme parks but if it was me only it wouldn't have happened because i would stick to the budget and to the plan which is why i get pissed right away when someone comes and tries or changes my plans..

Message 9 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

It must have been around 8K

Message 10 of 10
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.