Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

American Express Authorized User

tag
kwoods1
Valued Member

American Express Authorized User

Hello everyone,

I've been following the posts here religiously for a few months now and first wanted to thank everyone for all of their expertise!  By reading your posts, I've been able to obtain a Nationwide CC ($15k), Barclays BJ's VISA ($3,800), Capital One ($1,500....started at $1,000) and BOA Signature ViSA ($5,000).  A year ago, I don't think any of these banks would have given me a stick of gum!

Anyhow, my question pertains to American Express.  I've been an authorized user on my mother's account for years (backdated to 1986).  I would like to apply for my own card (I'd like the Blue Cash card) by the end of the year or early next year.  Will my relationship with them as an authorized user count when they review my application?

Thanks again for all your help!

Starting Score: 690 - EQ, 771 - TU
Current Score: 690 - EQ, 771 - TU
Goal Score: 750+ on all 3 bureaus

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 1 of 12
11 REPLIES 11
Creditaddict
Legendary Contributor

Re: American Express Authorized User

@kwoods1 wrote:

Hello everyone,

I've been following the posts here religiously for a few months now and first wanted to thank everyone for all of their expertise!  By reading your posts, I've been able to obtain a Nationwide CC ($15k), Barclays BJ's VISA ($3,800), Capital One ($1,500....started at $1,000) and BOA Signature ViSA ($5,000).  A year ago, I don't think any of these banks would have given me a stick of gum!

Anyhow, my question pertains to American Express.  I've been an authorized user on my mother's account for years (backdated to 1986).  I would like to apply for my own card (I'd like the Blue Cash card) by the end of the year or early next year.  Will my relationship with them as an authorized user count when they review my application?

If the account shows on your credit report, it will be helping your credit and therefore help in approval... but I'm not sure rather amex' computer software is smart enough to pick out history as auth on an amex card and therefore judge your app more favorable... but by the looks of your approvals, wouldn't think you would have a problem with Amex

Message 2 of 12
kwoods1
Valued Member

@Creditaddict wrote:

@kwoods1 wrote:

Hello everyone,

If the account shows on your credit report, it will be helping your credit and therefore help in approval... but I'm not sure rather amex' computer software is smart enough to pick out history as auth on an amex card and therefore judge your app more favorable... but by the looks of your approvals, wouldn't think you would have a problem with Amex

Thanks for the insight.  Now that I've got some decent limits, I want to make sure they stay that way, but would love to have a really great rewards card.  I was wondering about being an authorized user from the perspective, that since I'm an authorized user it's not really "my account" and they might see me less favorably.  I was hoping that being an authorized user wouldn't count against me when I'm ready to apply for a card where I'm the primary holder.

Message 3 of 12
JM-AM
Valued Contributor

The answer to your question is YES AMEX does backdate for AU also as long as the account was in good standing.

Good Luck
May all your dreams and wishes become a reality!
Message 4 of 12
kwoods1
Valued Member

Thanks!  Now I'm really looking forward to applying this year!

Message 5 of 12
Creditaddict
Legendary Contributor

you should apply in Jan. for the most backdating possible

Message 6 of 12
kwoods1
Valued Member

@Creditaddict wrote:

you should apply in Jan. for the most backdating possible

Aww, you're right!  I just hope I can hold out for 12 months!

Message 7 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

Those are great limits! What are your scores? It sounds like you might not need to wait to apply, unless there is a specific reason.

Message 8 of 12
kwoods1
Valued Member

@Anonymous wrote:

Those are great limits! What are your scores? It sounds like you might not need to wait to apply, unless there is a specific reason.

Hi!  Thanks!  I'm really proud of myself on the limits.  My scores are EQ FICO - 690 (703 when I applied at the end of the year), EX FAKO - 739, TU Vantage? - 881.   Two years ago my FICO Scores were in the 580 - 620 range.  I went on an app spree at the end of the year, so that's where all the new accounts came from.  I really would like to potentially apply for a mortgage, no later than the middle of 2012.  From what I've read, Am Ex is sensitive to inquiries and since I want to apply for a mortgage, I know that I need to have my inquiries age at least a year? (I think)  So though I would LOVE to apply this year (my finger itches just thinking about it), I know that I have to sit tight for a while.  So I'll just be gardening for 2011.

Message 9 of 12
Tazman81
Established Contributor

maybe try their pre-selected card offers site to see if anything comes up for you.

Current Score: Eq: 823 Tu: 830
Goal Score: Eq: 850 Tu: 850

Wallet: PenFed Power Cash 50k | AMEX Blue Cash (AU) 49.5k | Cap One QSMC 26.5k | AMEX Platinum NPSL | USAA Signature Visa 25k
Message 10 of 12
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.