cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

American Express BCE soft pull for credit limit increase?

tag
Gollum
Established Contributor

American Express BCE soft pull for credit limit increase?

I was thinking about increasing the credit limit (currently $3000 because that is the credit limit that I chose) for my  American Express BCE (Blue Cash Everyday) card, and I have read on this forum that asking American Express for a credit limit increase would result in a soft pull. I called American Express Customer Service to verify that, and the person I talked to said (there was a little bit of a language barrier, presumably because it's the middle of the night in the USA, so I politely verified verbally what I thought the person had said).

The American Express customer service representative said that "there is a chance that it would be a hard pull."

I will be fine without the credit limit increase, and I don't want a hard pull, so I did not pursue it further.

Summary:

In my own recent experience with American Express Customer Service, a credit limit increase for an existing American Express credit card does not necessarily result in only a soft pull. I thought this might be an interesting "data point" to some readers, especially since I have excellent credit.

Edit: My American Express BCE has a Promotional Purchase Offer interest rate of 6.99% until late August 2023, then the interest rate will go to 17.49% variable (from my statement ending 02-24-2023).

Credit Scores: (FICO 8) 846 Experian March 2024, 844 TransUnion March 2024 | (FICO 9) 850 Equifax March 2024
Credit Cards (newest to oldest): NFCU VISA Platinum $25,000 | BECU Cash Back VISA $10,000 | American Express BCE $9000 | Simmons Bank VISA $7500 | Capital One Quicksilver VISA Platinum (PC/upgrade from No Hassle Miles Rewards VISA Platinum) $500
Message 1 of 9
8 REPLIES 8
FireMedic1
Community Leader
Mega Contributor

Re: American Express BCE soft pull for credit limit increase?

Who's better than Banks CSR's? Right here. Its a SP for CLI's.

Message 2 of 9
EAJuggalo
Established Contributor

@Gollum wrote:

In my own recent experience with American Express Customer Service, a credit limit increase for an existing American Express credit card does not necessarily result in only a soft pull. I thought this might be an interesting "data point" to some readers, especially since I have excellent credit.

I don't feel that it's an "interesting data point" that a banks contracted, overseas CSR reading off a script approved by lawyers would tell you there is a chance of something happening that could happen.  An interesting data point would have been if you had requested the CLI and gotten a hard pull.  

EX700 TU 704 EQ 694 4/03/22
Cap1 QS-$4,500 Chase Freedom Flex- $800 Chase Freedom Unlimited- $1,000 Victoria's Secret- $1,200 Citi DC- $800 Amazon Store Card- $3,500 AMEX Hilton Honors-$1,000 Discover It-$1,000 Wal-Mart MC $290 Chase Sapphire Preferred-$5,000 NFCU Flagship $13,800 AMEX BCE-$1,000 AMEX Gold-$5,000 AMEX Delta Blue $1,000 Lowe's $5,000 Navy Platinum $17,000 AMEX BBP $2,000
Message 3 of 9
sznthescore
Established Contributor

@EAJuggalo wrote:

@Gollum wrote:

I don't feel that it's an "interesting data point" that a banks contracted, overseas CSR reading off a script approved by lawyers would tell you there is a chance of something happening that could happen.  An interesting data point would have been if you had requested the CLI and gotten a hard pull.  

Ikr, considering the statistics for a new card is a SP. 

REBUILDER CARDS

Goal: FICO 700+
Message 4 of 9
FireMedic1
Community Leader
Mega Contributor

@Gollum" I thought this might be an interesting "data point" to some readers, especially since I have excellent credit."

Dont have to have "excellent credit" for a CLI. I have a BK with ok credit and got a auto CLI one day and the next day a SP CLI. Its a SP for CLI's.

https://ficoforums.myfico.com/t5/Credit-Card-Approvals/Ready-AMEX-BCP-SP-CLI-to-4500-after-Auto-1500... 

Message 5 of 9
OmarGB9
Community Leader
Super Contributor

I think they always train their CSRs to say that to cover themselves, but I've yet to see a HP for a CLI with Amex. IF you did get a HP, then *that* would be an interesting DP.

Last App: 1/10/2023
Penfed Gold Visa Card

Currently rebuilding as of 04/11/2019.

Starting FICO 8 Scores:

Current FICO 8 scores:

Message 6 of 9
Gollum
Established Contributor

Thank you to FireMedic1 and OmarGB9.

I asked American Express (via phone) for an increase to $10,000 and was approved for an increase to $9000. My previous credit limit was $3000, so apparently it's the 3X increase. I don't remember what credit limit I had originally been approved for when I applied for the BCE card.

Credit Scores: (FICO 8) 846 Experian March 2024, 844 TransUnion March 2024 | (FICO 9) 850 Equifax March 2024
Credit Cards (newest to oldest): NFCU VISA Platinum $25,000 | BECU Cash Back VISA $10,000 | American Express BCE $9000 | Simmons Bank VISA $7500 | Capital One Quicksilver VISA Platinum (PC/upgrade from No Hassle Miles Rewards VISA Platinum) $500
Message 7 of 9
OmarGB9
Community Leader
Super Contributor

Congrats on the increase!

Last App: 1/10/2023
Penfed Gold Visa Card

Currently rebuilding as of 04/11/2019.

Starting FICO 8 Scores:

Current FICO 8 scores:

Message 8 of 9
KH-Underbat

Congrats on the approval! This thread is now locked to new replies, but please feel free to continue the discussion in the Approvals board.

Message 9 of 9
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.