Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

American Express BLue?

tag
lionsfan20
Regular Contributor

American Express BLue?

HEllo  ,I've had the blue since july and after all this time , I'm just wondering what is the real point in the card?...Im wondering if I should try and transfer to the bce. Does anyone else have the blue and anyone know if there are any benefits to it?

Message 1 of 14
13 REPLIES 13
lionsfan20
Regular Contributor

Re: American Express BLue?

anyone have any experience with this , I would also like to know , if I switch , is it possible that my apr will change?..and does anyone know if Im even allowed to switch

Message 2 of 14
andre181
Established Contributor

I switched from the plain Blue to BCE. APR and credit limit didn't change.

The only difference is the rewards. BCE's rewards are much better than the MRE points the Blue gets.

If you want a decent cash back card, make the switch. American Express is the only entity that knows if you'll be able to switch, but most likely you can.

Discover IT $35K | FNBO Visa $30K | Cash+ Visa Sig $19.5K | Southwest Premier $16K | Priceline $15K | Citi Forward $14.3K | US Bank Plat $14K | Commerce Bank $13K | CSP $13K | CSR $10K | Sallie Mae World MC $10K | Lowe’s Consumer 10K | BoA Cash Rewards 1-2-3 Sig $7.5K | Fidelity Visa $7K | Citi Double Cash $6.5K | WF Cash Back Visa $5.4K | Capital One Cash Rewards $5K | AMEX BCE $3.9K | Freedom $2.5K | Younkers/Comenity $2.4K | Kohl’s 1.5K | Target $1.4K | EX FICO (from AMEX): 768, TU FICO (from Discover): 797, AAoA: 4.4 years
Message 3 of 14
SnackTrader
Valued Contributor

There are many accounts of forum members switching from one Amex product to another. Feel free to give them a call and ask.

I don't have the blue, so I can't answer your first question. But the BCE rewards are fantastic assuming you don't have other cards to fit those spending categories.

In terms of your APR - I would avoid carrying a balance on rewards cards since the rates are so high. Any interest you pay reduces the benefits from the rewards, so try to find a better card for carrying a balance if that's what you are doing.

In My Wallet: Amex BCP (12/12) $50,000, Chase Freedom (12/12) $16,500, Cap1 Quicksilver (6/12) $14,000, Barclaycard Rewards (5/13) $10,500, Citi Prestige (4/16) $30,000

Last App: June 27, 2015
Message 4 of 14
lionsfan20
Regular Contributor

well if you were able to switch , ID assume I would be as well but ill try and call...the points on the blue just suck..I have 12000 points and its worth about 50 bucks in amex gift cards..I could use it on amazon for like 80 bucks but the transfer rate really sucks...Id also like to know if I switch will I lose my current points..anyone know about that?

Message 5 of 14
injustifiiable
Valued Contributor

TheRe: American Express BLue?

The cards you are trying to PC between have no AF...so it should be a simple change. (It's a bit harder if you're going from AF to non-AF or vica versa).

Try calling in or sending a secure message.

Good luck!

Scores 5/15/2016 (clean reports!): TU Walmart FICO: 696 | EQ FICO: 679 | EX AMEX FICO: 680

In my new wallet: American Express Green EMV: PSL $2000 | BankAmericard Cash Rewards Visa EMV: $2500 | Citi AAdvantage Platinum Select World MasterCard: $6400 | Barclaycard Arrival World MasterCard: $1000 | Discover IT: $2500 | Amazon Rewards Visa Signature: $1500 | Chase Freedom: $1500 | Capital One QuicksilverOne MasterCard: $2100 | Target: $2800 | J.Crew $21,550 | Marvel (Captain America) MasterCard: $6000
Message 6 of 14
emptypockets
Valued Contributor

I think you lose them unless you have a AMEX card that accrues MR points (i.e. Zync, Green, Gold, Gold PRG, or Platinum). Problem with MR Express points is they cannot be transferred elsewhere (to hotel or airline partners). If you have a charge card with AMEX (with the exception of Zync, which also accrues MRE points), you can keep your points, as long as the MR (membership rewards) accounts are linked together. In the case of a linked account, you have 30 days to transfer the points. If no linked account, you lose the points immediately upon account cancellation.

Just going through this with my AMEX PRG, which I am cancelling this month.

CC's: AMEX (4), Alliant Visa, PenFed AMEX, Pen Fed Promise, Citi (3), Chase (5), US Bank Cash+, Huntington Voice, Nasa Plat Cash Visa, Barclay's Visa, Discover IT, Cap One QS, BOA (2), BMW Visa, 5/3 Real Life Rewards MC; FNBO Amex; Comenity Visa/MC (3), Ebates Visa Siggy, Nordstrom Visa, Walmart MC, Sam's Club MC; A few assorted store cards.

Current Scores (09/2017): EQ My Fico: 786; TU MyFico: 799; EX (My Fico): 797
Message 7 of 14
pkosheta
Contributor

If you want too keep your points but don't want to pay an annual fee it's a fine choice.  If you plan to return to a charge card in a few years you can keep your points alive with this card too.  I have no interst in BCE as I have a better card for those catergories, so mine is kinda in limbo.  I don't want to cancel solely cause I don't want my only amex to be Hilton honors.  AMEX has a loyal base, good consumer protection, if I have a questiobale item i want to buy or a questionable merchant I want to use and want to know ill have the best protection I use amex.  With them I know I can win disputes with the merchants That try and rip me off.

Age 29
AU- United+ Visa 33k, *97. GM MasterCard 15k, *95.
Individual- PenFed Plat Rew 7k, *08. Amex Blue 6.7k, *12. Hilton Amex 5.5k, *12. Chase Sapphire 15k, *12. U.S. Bank Cash+ 12.3k, *12. Barclays Priceline.com Rewards Visa 11k, *13. Citi DoubleCash (PC'd in *14) 7k, *13. Club Carlson Premier 9k, *13.
Message 8 of 14
GaTech
Frequent Contributor

To get my BCE, I initially apped and was approved for the Blue. As soon as I recieved my Blue card in the mail, I called CS and spoke to someone for a PC from Blue to BCE. They were more than happy to do so.

Good luck!!!

As of 1/10/2014 EX FICO - 748. EQ FICO - 728. Trans FICO - 755

WellsFargo - $3,000 AMEX BCE - $18,000 Chase Freedom - $4,000

Message 9 of 14
SnackTrader
Valued Contributor

@emptypockets wrote:

I think you lose them unless you have a AMEX card that accrues MR points (i.e. Zync, Green, Gold, Gold PRG, or Platinum). Problem with MR Express points is they cannot be transferred elsewhere (to hotel or airline partners). If you have a charge card with AMEX (with the exception of Zync, which also accrues MRE points), you can keep your points, as long as the MR (membership rewards) accounts are linked together. In the case of a linked account, you have 30 days to transfer the points. If no linked account, you lose the points immediately upon account cancellation.

Just going through this with my AMEX PRG, which I am cancelling this month.

OP has a revolver, and I'm not sure what type of points it accrues, but I think it is MRE. If that is the case, transfer to the BCE shouldn't cause the OP to lose points. But, if I'm wrong, OP may lose all points. Definitely ask the CSR when you call. 

In My Wallet: Amex BCP (12/12) $50,000, Chase Freedom (12/12) $16,500, Cap1 Quicksilver (6/12) $14,000, Barclaycard Rewards (5/13) $10,500, Citi Prestige (4/16) $30,000

Last App: June 27, 2015
Message 10 of 14
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.