Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

American Express Backdating - Please explain

tag
tashia729
Valued Member

American Express Backdating - Please explain

I know that this issue has been addressed numerous times before on this message board, and I apologize now for asking, so........

Can someone explain the American Express backdating that is always discussed on the message boards?  What is?  How does it work?  Why do it?  How to request it?  Any anything else that you think I should know.

Thanks so much!!!

Message 1 of 38
37 REPLIES 37
Ron1
Super Contributor

Re: American Express Backdating - Please explain

@tashia729 wrote:

I know that this issue has been addressed numerous times before on this message board, and I apologize now for asking, so........

Can someone explain the American Express backdating that is always discussed on the message boards?  What is?  How does it work?  Why do it?  How to request it?  Any anything else that you think I should know.

Thanks so much!!!

Backdating only works if you previously had any Amex charge card(s) and credit cards(s).  It helps your AAOA and it will raise your FICO scores.  You have to call Amex to backdate by telling them your first Amex charge/credit account.

Ron.

Message 2 of 38
haulingthescoreup
Moderator Emerita

@Ron1 wrote:

@tashia729 wrote:

Thanks so much!!!

Backdating only works if you previously had any Amex charge card(s) and credit cards(s).  It helps your AAOA and it will raise your FICO scores.  You have to call Amex to backdate by telling them your first Amex charge/credit account.

Ron.

+1

Since they use their "member since" date, you've been a member since you first got an AmEx. Some people luck out and get backdated to an AU card, even though they weren't a "member" per se.

* Credit is a wonderful servant, but a terrible master. * Who's the boss --you or your credit?
FICO's: EQ 781 - TU 793 - EX 779 (from PSECU) - Done credit hunting; having fun with credit gardening. - EQ 590 on 5/14/2007
Message 3 of 38
Anonymous
Not applicable

@haulingthescoreup wrote:

Since they use their "member since" date, you've been a member since you first got an AmEx. Some people luck out and get backdated to an AU card, even though they weren't a "member" per se.

I've been wondering about this. My dad had me on as an AU on his Amex card ages ago - but back then, we were living overseas so I'm not sure if the card was issued by the US Amex, or a foreign branch of Amex. I guess I could call them up and ask, but it just feels like a really long shot.

Message 4 of 38
Anonymous
Not applicable

@tashia729 wrote:

Thanks so much!!!

If you got your first AMEX card in 2000, every subsequent AMEX you get will be backdated to the year 2000 and whatever month your new account was opened.

For example, your first AMEX was opened 12/2000.  You got your second AMEX 4/2011, and your third amex 1/2012.  You now have three AMEXs dating back to 2000.  One dated 1/2000, one dated 4/2000, and one dated 12/2000.

Why do it?  To increase your average age of accounts, which increases your credit score.

How?  Ask any AMEX CSR.

Message 5 of 38
tashia729
Valued Member

Ok, that helps.  I had my first AmEx YEARS AGO when I was in college (early 1990s), but made mistakes like a lot of other college students and lost it.  Had one with a previous job probably 10 yrs ago, but closed it out probably about 8 yrs ago.  Fast forward to 2012, I have been an AU on my husband's Gold Rewards card since '08, and recently received a Green card on my own a few weeks ago.  My online account has me listed as being a member since '08, based on hubby's account.  I have no idea what my old AmEx account numbers used to be.  So do I call customer service with my SS# and make the back dating request?  Would they go back as far as the very first card I ever had?   

Message 6 of 38
seattletravels
Valued Contributor

@tashia729 wrote:

Ok, that helps.  I had my first AmEx YEARS AGO when I was in college (early 1990s), but made mistakes like a lot of other college students and lost it.  Had one with a previous job probably 10 yrs ago, but closed it out probably about 8 yrs ago.  Fast forward to 2012, I have been an AU on my husband's Gold Rewards card since '08, and recently received a Green card on my own a few weeks ago.  My online account has me listed as being a member since '08, based on hubby's account.  I have no idea what my old AmEx account numbers used to be.  So do I call customer service with my SS# and make the back dating request?  Would they go back as far as the very first card I ever had?   

Will they back date on a corporate card?

Last App: BECU 02-26-2020
Pronouns: He/Him/His
Message 7 of 38
tashia729
Valued Member

@tashia729 wrote:

Thanks so much!!!

If you got your first AMEX card in 2000, every subsequent AMEX you get will be backdated to the year 2000 and whatever month your new account was opened.

For example, your first AMEX was opened 12/2000.  You got your second AMEX 4/2011, and your third amex 1/2012.  You now have three AMEXs dating back to 2000.  One dated 1/2000, one dated 4/2000, and one dated 12/2000.

Why do it?  To increase your average age of accounts, which increases your credit score.

How?  Ask any AMEX CSR.

Thanks so much - I saw your response after I had already posted my last set of questions.  I'll give it a try and update on the results!

Message 8 of 38
CS800
Super Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@tashia729 wrote:

Thanks so much!!!

How?  Ask any AMEX CSR.

+1

Message 9 of 38
Odiseous
Frequent Contributor

@seattletravels wrote:

Will they back date on a corporate card?

YMMV.

On that note: Mine got backdated to my corporate card year of opening.

TU98 751, EQ 766, EX 766 (Lender)

If at first you don't succeed; Garden for 6 months, then try again.

Work the system. Don't let the system work you.
Message 10 of 38
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.