Did you mean: 

American Express Backdating - Please explain

tag
pizzadude
Credit Mentor

Re: American Express Backdating - Please explain

@seattletravels wrote:

@tashia729 wrote:

Ok, that helps.  I had my first AmEx YEARS AGO when I was in college (early 1990s), but made mistakes like a lot of other college students and lost it.  Had one with a previous job probably 10 yrs ago, but closed it out probably about 8 yrs ago.  Fast forward to 2012, I have been an AU on my husband's Gold Rewards card since '08, and recently received a Green card on my own a few weeks ago.  My online account has me listed as being a member since '08, based on hubby's account.  I have no idea what my old AmEx account numbers used to be.  So do I call customer service with my SS# and make the back dating request?  Would they go back as far as the very first card I ever had?   

Will they back date on a corporate card?

Yes, I also achieved backdating success to the opening year of a AMEX green corporate card.

March2010 FICO® ~ 695 TU, 653 EQ, 697 EX
Message 11 of 38
seattletravels
Valued Contributor

Interesting.  I'm about a year out from applying but I'll definitely give it a shot when I get one.  I had an Amex Corporate card from 03-05 when we changed from Amex to MC.

Last App: BECU 02-26-2020
Pronouns: He/Him/His
Message 12 of 38
tashia729
Valued Member

@seattletravels wrote:

@tashia729 wrote:

Ok, that helps.  I had my first AmEx YEARS AGO when I was in college (early 1990s), but made mistakes like a lot of other college students and lost it.  Had one with a previous job probably 10 yrs ago, but closed it out probably about 8 yrs ago.  Fast forward to 2012, I have been an AU on my husband's Gold Rewards card since '08, and recently received a Green card on my own a few weeks ago.  My online account has me listed as being a member since '08, based on hubby's account.  I have no idea what my old AmEx account numbers used to be.  So do I call customer service with my SS# and make the back dating request?  Would they go back as far as the very first card I ever had?   

Will they back date on a corporate card?

Yes, I also achieved backdating success to the opening year of a AMEX green corporate card.

Ok, so I just got off of the phone with AmEx.  The customer service rep put in the request.  The only date she could definitively verify was the 2008 date that I mentioned in my original post.  She asked the dates of the very first card I had in my own name, I told her it was somewhere around 1989-1991 because I was in college.  She indicated that they would do a search based on the dates.  Even if they can't verify the date of my very first account, I would get a new card with at least the '08 backdate.  She said I should hear something within 7-9 business days, so I will keep my fingers crossed and update when I hear something!  I am hoping for the college backdate years or at the very least, the corporate backdate of 2002.

Message 13 of 38
teenastie
Established Contributor

@tashia729 wrote:

Ok, so I just got off of the phone with AmEx.  The customer service rep put in the request.  The only date she could definitively verify was the 2008 date that I mentioned in my original post.  She asked the dates of the very first card I had in my own name, I told her it was somewhere around 1989-1991 because I was in college.  She indicated that they would do a search based on the dates.  Even if they can't verify the date of my very first account, I would get a new card with at least the '08 backdate.  She said I should hear something within 7-9 business days, so I will keep my fingers crossed and update when I hear something!  I am hoping for the college backdate years or at the very least, the corporate backdate of 2002.

If there is any possibility of you finding any documentation regarding your Amex from college years. Amex can use that information to backdate aswell.

Message 14 of 38
afbar1114
Valued Contributor

my dad has an amex from like the 70's or 80's i wonder if i get to be an AU on his card and then back date? 

AMEX PRG; AMEX EveryDay $14,800; Freedom $6k; Sapphire $7k; IHG Select $5k; Discover $2,400; BofA Better Balance $9,100; Bank Americard $5,900; Citi DC $2,700; Citi Diamond $2,500; BestBuy $20,000; Amazon Prime $5k, United Club $15,000; Home Depot $20,000; Barclays $7,500

Total Credit Limits: $122,650
Message 15 of 38
Anonymous
Not applicable

@afbar1114 wrote:

my dad has an amex from like the 70's or 80's i wonder if i get to be an AU on his card and then back date? 

Some people have been able to, others have not.

Message 16 of 38
Anonymous
Not applicable

Mine got backdated automatically. I had Amex green back in 2006 closed it in 2007 got Clear in 2011 and this shows on my CR backdated to 2006. This has helped my AAoA a lot.

Message 17 of 38
RyVision
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@afbar1114 wrote:

Some people have been able to, others have not.

So many people have tried the "carry over" from primary member cards that had no business doing so that AMEX is trying to limit the practice if not totally eliminate even sneaking in with granting a parents primary's date to a later additional card member, it has become nearly impossible from what I hear.  In other words, if you have a child, and they're 5 or so years old ADD THEM NOW as an additional card member so they have a MS date with AMEX that is actually genuine. There are people out there as it is with MS dates that pre-date their birth year, not really possible. Things AMEX doesn't like about BDing for "AU" accounts, different last names, no actual connection to the person, no use on the "AU" card (you can hold onto your 5  year olds AU card and let them sign once in a while or sign for them), MS dates that pre-date the persons birth. All logical reasons for them to have reviewed the requests people had been making.

If afbar1114 were to be added to his fathers account as an additional card member (aka AU) his member year would be the year he was added to the account. However, the history of his fathers account would show under his own name on his CR for that account (any account his father added him to would work that way with AMEX), if he gets his own individual account the date he was added will show as his opening date for his own card. Hope that helped.

Before anyone needs to point it out. AMEX doesn't have AU's, they only have "Additional Card Members" we just tend to call it AU. Also, don't ever use the term "Back date or back dating" when speaking to AMEX, it's a red flag. You are asking about your original membership since date etc.

AKA 840flippedto480
Message 18 of 38
Blzer

After I received my PRG Amex, I called and had them reset my start date to when I was an AU on my sisters card. They happily obliged.
Message 19 of 38
Anonymous
Not applicable

Is there a specific number you're supposed to call for the requests? Or just the regular customer service line? I figure I might as well see if they can find any record of me being an AU on my dad's account a decade ago.

Message 20 of 38
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.