Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

American Express Blacklist or not?

tag
dre90
New Contributor

American Express Blacklist or not?

So maybe someone can offer some kind of insight to my situation here. I had AMEX back in 2013 and had a few cards with them but I closed most of them out keeping only the Blue Sky card with a 18K limit. I had an and immaculate profile, all scores were all well over 760+, no baddies etc and util were all below 10% on all cards ... This is at the age of 23 lol.

Well 2015 I lost my job and fell on hard times and had to use the card and racked up debts on all the cards, couldn't pay it back so Amex closed the card in 2015... But reported that the card was 90 days late in August 2018. I just checked.

Long story short, the card was CO, and I settled the debt with them through a third party company. They tried to come after me with the lawsuits but eventually they stopped and offered to settle the card for about 9K, balance at that time was $14K after paying some of it down. I paid off the settlement account in about 11 months with the final payment for AMEX around July 2018. I was able to pay down, settle all debts and pay them off within 2 years.

Fast forward to today, I don't have many major bank cards, I have a Cap1 Platinum Secured card which graduated and they later (after graduation) increased the SL to $750 for me which I heard is not the usual case for some folks. I got their QS1 card with a SL of $500 as well and a ton of store cards which all are paid with only just a few reporting under 5% util from Comenity and Synchrony.

Suffice to say I'm back on my feet now of course, but my scores are hovering around 620 - 659. Hurts to look at these Scores but a year ago they were around 550.

Anywho, as you can imagine, I tried for Amex a few times but could never get an approval or HP from them. But assuming they're doing a SP since they cite the delinquencies and limited credit history in their denials but would not mention my history with them.

A few days ago (1/10) my girlfriend and I was looking for a good travel rewards card for her and I told her to look into Amex since their benefits were second to none compared to most cards. Welp, she ended up going with the Everyday Amex card which she applied for (her credit profile was like mine when I had excellent credit). So she got approved with a SL of $10K........

Now the fun part..... I heard and saw here that if you are blacklisted not only would you not get a HP but you could not be added as an AU. Well she added me as an AU and I made sure to include my SS# with my details to make sure that if they are going to deny me, it would be because of my SS# and history with them. Well, it worked! I was added as an AU, not only that but I decided later that night to apply again for a card from AMEX just to see what would happen, I know an approval wouldn't happen but would they do a HP?

Got the denial that night but two days later 1/12, got an alert on the app citing a HP from AMEX and today, I got the email regarding my AU card that says:

Your Amex EveryDay® Card has shipped! You should get your new Card in

3-5 business days.

So.... What day heck does this really mean? Also to mention I recently reached out to them via mailed written letter requesting information to pay back whatever was discharged so that I may reboot my relationship with them in the future, with yet to hear back from them. Not sure if that played a part in this whole story.... But any ideas???

I should note, I understand credit and infact I manage my girlfriend's credit as if it were my own. I am very very conservative when it comes to managing these debts and not in a rush to get back with these companies but I am trying to write my wrongs with them and mend what was broken. Any feedback would be appreciated 😊

13 REPLIES 13
red259
Super Contributor

Re: American Express Blacklist or not?

@dre90 wrote:

So maybe someone can offer some kind of insight to my situation here. I had AMEX back in 2013 and had a few cards with them but I closed most of them out keeping only the Blue Sky card with a 18K limit. I had an and immaculate profile, all scores were all well over 760+, no baddies etc and util were all below 10% on all cards ... This is at the age of 23 lol.

Well 2015 I lost my job and fell on hard times and had to use the card and racked up debts on all the cards, couldn't pay it back so Amex closed the card in 2015... But reported that the card was 90 days late in August 2018. I just checked.

Long story short, the card was CO, and I settled the debt with them through a third party company. They tried to come after me with the lawsuits but eventually they stopped and offered to settle the card for about 9K, balance at that time was $14K after paying some of it down. I paid off the settlement account in about 11 months with the final payment for AMEX around July 2018. I was able to pay down, settle all debts and pay them off within 2 years.

Fast forward to today, I don't have many major bank cards, I have a Cap1 Platinum Secured card which graduated and they later (after graduation) increased the SL to $750 for me which I heard is not the usual case for some folks. I got their QS1 card with a SL of $500 as well and a ton of store cards which all are paid with only just a few reporting under 5% util from Comenity and Synchrony.

Suffice to say I'm back on my feet now of course, but my scores are hovering around 620 - 659. Hurts to look at these Scores but a year ago they were around 550.

Anywho, as you can imagine, I tried for Amex a few times but could never get an approval or HP from them. But assuming they're doing a SP since they cite the delinquencies and limited credit history in their denials but would not mention my history with them.

A few days ago (1/10) my girlfriend and I was looking for a good travel rewards card for her and I told her to look into Amex since their benefits were second to none compared to most cards. Welp, she ended up going with the Everyday Amex card which she applied for (her credit profile was like mine when I had excellent credit). So she got approved with a SL of $10K........

Now the fun part..... I heard and saw here that if you are blacklisted not only would you not get a HP but you could not be added as an AU. Well she added me as an AU and I made sure to include my SS# with my details to make sure that if they are going to deny me, it would be because of my SS# and history with them. Well, it worked! I was added as an AU, not only that but I decided later that night to apply again for a card from AMEX just to see what would happen, I know an approval wouldn't happen but would they do a HP?

Got the denial that night but two days later 1/12, got an alert on the app citing a HP from AMEX and today, I got the email regarding my AU card that says:

3-5 business days.

So.... What day heck does this really mean? Also to mention I recently reached out to them via mailed written letter requesting information to pay back whatever was discharged so that I may reboot my relationship with them in the future, with yet to hear back from them. Not sure if that played a part in this whole story.... But any ideas???

I should note, I understand credit and infact I manage my girlfriend's credit as if it were my own. I am very very conservative when it comes to managing these debts and not in a rush to get back with these companies but I am trying to write my wrongs with them and mend what was broken. Any feedback would be appreciated 😊

Honestly at this point I wouldn't be writing Amex letters trying to pay back more after it was settled. Amex will sometimes take the money and still not remove you from the blacklist. To me all you are doing with that is flagging your account so that they look at it closer and jeopardizing the AU card you just got. What I would have done is kept the AU card and after several months trying to app again for an amex card that is easy to get approved for and see how that goes. People who are blacklisted with Amex have been known to be added as AUs and have then been able to get off the blacklist that way. There are some people who really burn Amex that they aren't even allowed to be an AU. 

;
Starting Score: EQ: 714, TU 684
Current Score: EQ: 725 7/30/13, TU 684 6/2013, Exp 828 5/2018, Last App 8/5/17
Goal Score: 800 (Achieved!) In garden until Sepetember 2019
Message 2 of 14
dre90
New Contributor

@red259 wrote:

@dre90 wrote:

3-5 business days.

Honestly at this point I wouldn't be writing Amex letters trying to pay back more after it was settled. Amex will sometimes take the money and still not remove you from the blacklist. To me all you are doing with that is flagging your account so that they look at it closer and jeopardizing the AU card you just got. What I would have done is kept the AU card and after several months trying to app again for an amex card that is easy to get approved for and see how that goes. People who are blacklisted with Amex have been known to be added as AUs and have then been able to get off the blacklist that way. There are some people who really burn Amex that they aren't even allowed to be an AU. 

Hey there @red259, thank you for responding back with your feedback. You bring up a very good point and will just have to wait and see what happens if anything happens. I sent the letter a few months back and didn't hear anything back from them, assuming they probably ignored the letter or it might not even have gone to the correct dept. I have also tried calling them and asking them for informatin regarding that discharged account with them turning me around and saying there is nothing in their system indicating no balances that I owe. 

I tried many times to explain to them my situation but for some reason they refuse to take a payment from me. IDK. I guess I will just have to wait it out and see. I will be gardening until next year summer, I racked up quite a few successful inquiries for the holidays so I will be laying low from here on out.

Thanks for the feedback again!

Message 3 of 14
red259
Super Contributor

@dre90 wrote:

@red259 wrote:

@dre90 wrote:

3-5 business days.

Hey there @red259, thank you for responding back with your feedback. You bring up a very good point and will just have to wait and see what happens if anything happens. I sent the letter a few months back and didn't hear anything back from them, assuming they probably ignored the letter or it might not even have gone to the correct dept. I have also tried calling them and asking them for informatin regarding that discharged account with them turning me around and saying there is nothing in their system indicating no balances that I owe. 

I tried many times to explain to them my situation but for some reason they refuse to take a payment from me. IDK. I guess I will just have to wait it out and see. I will be gardening until next year summer, I racked up quite a few successful inquiries for the holidays so I will be laying low from here on out.

Just stop. You very well could be making the situation worse. Apply next summer and see what happens. It seems like you may have a decent chance when you do. 

;
Starting Score: EQ: 714, TU 684
Current Score: EQ: 725 7/30/13, TU 684 6/2013, Exp 828 5/2018, Last App 8/5/17
Goal Score: 800 (Achieved!) In garden until Sepetember 2019
Message 4 of 14
dre90
New Contributor

@red259 wrote:

@dre90 wrote:

@red259 wrote:

@dre90 wrote:

3-5 business days.

Just stop. You very well could be making the situation worse. Apply next summer and see what happens. It seems like you may have a decent chance when you do. 

Thank you again for the feedback and will keep a low profile and maintain/improve my credit profile.

Message 5 of 14
drboxing
Established Contributor

Your situation was almost like mines. I BK in 2006 and was black listed for about 10 years. 2017 A friend was approved for an Amex card and added me as an AU, it worked and was added. I waited about 4-5 months and was on the Delta Airlines site, they advertised their Delta Gold, I applied and was approved for 1K SL. Since then I have been approved for Delta Platinum, AMEX Starwood card, and Amex Business Platinum. I keep getting declined for the Amex Personal Green, Gold, Platinum charge cards. So I'd use the card, wait for a few months then apply for a personal card. Hope this helps

Message 6 of 14
dre90
New Contributor

@drboxing wrote:
Your situation was almost like mines. I BK in 2006 and was black listed for about 10 years. 2017 A friend was approved for an Amex card and added me as an AU, it worked and was added. I waited about 4-5 months and was on the Delta Airlines site, they advertised their Delta Gold, I applied and was approved for 1K SL. Since then I have been approved for Delta Platinum, AMEX Starwood card, and Amex Business Platinum. I keep getting declined for the Amex Personal Green, Gold, Platinum charge cards. So I'd use the card, wait for a few months then apply for a personal card. Hope this helps

I wonder why they wouldn't approve for the charge cards as opposed to their credit cards, you'd think it would be the other way around. But hey, that's AMEX for ya. I am racked up quite a bit of HPs back in November for a bunch of store cards and did manage to get them all. Some I used and paid off for the promotions they had for the holidays and there's a couple that is showing very small balances.

So with that activitiy, I will retiring to the garden until late next year. The AU Amex card is not something I would be using anyways, just wanted to see my name on the card and with the HP from them a few days ago, I would say it looks good for the future once I come out of gardening.

Message 7 of 14
sjt
Senior Contributor

@red259 wrote:

@dre90 wrote:

3-5 business days.

That is incorrect. Once you pay Amex off you are off the blacklist. You still have to credit qualify for any account you apply for, but you wont be outright denied because of a "previous unsatisfactory account relationship"

American Express: Platinum Charge, Optima, Business Gold, Delta Business Reserve, Business Cash, Business Plus
Barclays: Arrival+ WEMC
Capital One: Savor WEMC, Venture X Visa Infinite
Chase: Freedom U Visa Signature, CSR Visa Infinite
Citibank: AAdvantage Platinum WEMC
Elan/US Bank: Fidelity Visa Signature
Credit Union: Cash Back Visa Signature
FICO 08: Score decrease between 26-41 points after auto payoff (11.01.21) FICO as of 5.23, EX: 812 / EQ: 825 / TU: 815
Message 8 of 14
sjt
Senior Contributor

Even is you did pay them back, which would get you off their blacklist, you still have to credit qualify.

What is your current credit profile?

American Express: Platinum Charge, Optima, Business Gold, Delta Business Reserve, Business Cash, Business Plus
Barclays: Arrival+ WEMC
Capital One: Savor WEMC, Venture X Visa Infinite
Chase: Freedom U Visa Signature, CSR Visa Infinite
Citibank: AAdvantage Platinum WEMC
Elan/US Bank: Fidelity Visa Signature
Credit Union: Cash Back Visa Signature
FICO 08: Score decrease between 26-41 points after auto payoff (11.01.21) FICO as of 5.23, EX: 812 / EQ: 825 / TU: 815
Message 9 of 14
dre90
New Contributor

@sjt wrote:

Even is you did pay them back, which would get you off their blacklist, you still have to credit qualify.

What is your current credit profile?

My apologies @sjt, I am new to the forum and so I am not sure how to post my profile in the signatures like you guys, I will have that up soon. But I think you misunderstood the previous user's comment. I did not pay back AMEX entirely, I paid the agreed settlement amount with them in a matter of about 10 - 11 months. I know there is a discharged amount and to my understanding you can no longer become a member with a discharged balance, unless you wait an eternity for them to reconsider you. 

I did not want to wait so I attempted to reach out to them via mail and phone call and no one was able to offer any kind of information regarding this and they advised me there is no balances that I owe them and to contact the company who took care of the collected account...this was coming from the collection department from  AMEX. So I am reasoning now that this might have been sent to the IRS for 1099 C reporting, probably, I have no clue but I am not going to go after them any longer.

I am now showing hard pulls from AMEX and I have been added as an AU with no issues and no glitch, so the point of this thread was I was not sure if anyone has had this experience and if so, what was the outcome? Again, I am in no rush to get back with AMEX as I am in the garden till....maybe next year summer or fall, that is when I will feel most comfortable to pull the trigger with them again.

Message 10 of 14
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.