cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

American Express Blue Cash first purchase Starbucks' online store or gas station?

tag
mazinaige
Regular Contributor

American Express Blue Cash first purchase Starbucks' online store or gas station?

I live in the Upper Peninsula of Michigan (almost into Canada). The nearest Starbucks is over 100 miles away. There aren't any 'nice' restaurants around here. I am wondering if I should make my first purchase online at starbucksstore.com, or if I should make the first purchase at a family run gas station, or the world famous Shell gas station.

FICO® TU: 703 8/07/2015, EQ: 716 8/07/2015
Message 1 of 14
13 REPLIES 13
Creditaddict
Legendary Contributor

Re: American Express Blue Cash first purchase Starbucks' online store or gas station?

Don't think it matters to the slightest
Message 2 of 14
BungalowMo
Senior Contributor

Re: American Express Blue Cash first purchase Starbucks' online store or gas station?

You could always drive across the border & get your Rx filled....win-win situation!  (talk about a money saver!! )
BK 7 discharge 06.24.2020 No Fico score at all. Smiley Sad
Message 3 of 14
TangMeister
Frequent Contributor

@mazinaige wrote:
I live in the Upper Peninsula of Michigan (almost into Canada). The nearest Starbucks is over 100 miles away. There aren't any 'nice' restaurants around here. I am wondering if I should make my first purchase online at starbucksstore.com, or if I should make the first purchase at a family run gas station, or the world famous Shell gas station.

Amex's first purchase modeling is very real and should be taken serious if you take your credit future with them serious, so it's good that you're asking.

I would avoid anything online as your first purchase.  Fuel stations are iffy.  A good bet is to make your first purchase at any restaurant that doesn't fall into the "golden arches in the front" category.  Any mom/pop diner or restaurant will do.  Congrats on the Blue Cash!

Message Edited by TangMeister on 12-17-2009 11:40 AM
Message 4 of 14
Jazzzy
Valued Contributor

@TangMeister wrote:

Amex's first purchase modeling is very real and should be taken serious if you take your credit future with them serious, so it's good that you're asking.

I would avoid anything online as your first purchase.  Fuel stations are iffy.  A good bet is to make your first purchase at any restaurant that doesn't fall into the "golden arches in the front" category.  Any mom/pop diner or restaurant will do.  Congrats on the Blue Cash!

Is this a joke?

Message 5 of 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

@LynetteM wrote:

@TangMeister wrote:

Is this a joke?

I hope so and if not this just reminded me why my Amex card gets no luvin'. What a trivial concept to base anything about customers on! 

Message 6 of 14
NowIcare
Regular Contributor

Ohhh Ohhh LOL I used my AMEX Gold at "The Golden Arches" a bunch of times. Am I in trouble?Smiley Wink

JK I could care less I do it for convinience if it ever would cause a problem I would give my business to someone else.................Discover is in the background waiting.

NO SIGNATURE FOR ME
Message 7 of 14
nothingman02
Valued Contributor

@LynetteM wrote:

@TangMeister wrote:

Is this a joke?

NOPE!

Message 8 of 14
Creditaddict
Legendary Contributor

haha I laugh out loud about first purchase really mattering. If it does I don't care, if it doesn't I don't care, it's a credit card and I'm going to use it where I need it and if it doesn't like that, I will use a different one.
Message 9 of 14
amp0804
Regular Contributor

So is Citi going to look at me funny because I went to Stop and Shop and used my Citi Forward card for its first purchase last month? Oh man I should

have went to an over priced high end organic grocery store.

************Now that I think of it when I first got my Amex the first purchase was probably at a McDonalds. A Month later automatic CLI of $500 dollars
Message Edited by amp0804 on 12-17-2009 04:35 PM
Message 10 of 14
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.