Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

American Express CLI question

tag
lionsfan20
Regular Contributor

American Express CLI question

Ive read on here that when you request one online , if they decline you that they may offer you a lower amount to settle for. CAn someone who has done this explain how this works , does the computer come back with a number or does someone call you?

just not in the mood to have to explain anything to a rep

Thanks

Message 1 of 29
28 REPLIES 28
nicholasyud
Valued Contributor

Re: American Express CLI question

I need to known this as well.........
Starting Score: 560
Current Score: ?
Goal Score: 800
Message 2 of 29
chnceit
Valued Contributor

The computer comes back with a counter offer or you could go thru the automated line

Last Pulled EQ: 809
Last Credit Card App: 02/05/2016
Last CLI: 02/06/2016
Find Me: Gardening
Message 3 of 29
Creditaddict
Legendary Contributor

@lionsfan20 wrote:

Ive read on here that when you request one online , if they decline you that they may offer you a lower amount to settle for. CAn someone who has done this explain how this works , does the computer come back with a number or does someone call you?

just not in the mood to have to explain anything to a rep

Thanks

You request 3x your current CL at 62 days and then every 6 months from then... YES 3X current CL (up until recently it's always been 3x UNLESS that will put you over the $25k limit and supposedly you can't really do that without some paperwork and stuff but some have posted they have... not sure) $25k is fine for most i know unless they start going up and above that with other banks too or just pour money into amex.

Anyway 3x and it will come back INSTANT with either that full amount you asked for or with what they can do.

and no asking for 3x current cl and staying under $25k if not approved at all or countered is NOT because you asked for to much, it just means they do not want to offer any more credit for now!

Same process online, automated phone, and or with rep on phone. all the same!

Message 4 of 29
HiLine
Blogger

Do you know if Amex would grant a higher than 3X credit limit increase?

Message 5 of 29
lionsfan20
Regular Contributor

thanks for the response credit , also do you know if it matters if its 62 days or more. Ive seen some people post that it only works at exactly 62 days and got declined after that , Im at like 100-120 days.

Message 6 of 29
Creditaddict
Legendary Contributor

no you can't ask for more than 3x

and no it's after 62 and then every 6 months.... if you request at 95 days and are approved or denied, you can then request at 6 months from that request... if you don't ask close to the 62 and close to every 6 months you are missing out on free increases! at least if you get approved for them all! haha

Message 7 of 29
bichonmom
Senior Contributor

@lionsfan20 wrote:

thanks for the response credit , also do you know if it matters if its 62 days or more. Ive seen some people post that it only works at exactly 62 days and got declined after that , Im at like 100-120 days.

I waited longer than 61 days because I wanted a buffer and there was leap day in there, too. 61 days is just the minimum you have to have the card before you can request the CLI.

EQ FICO 750 | TU FICO 761 (Walmart) | EX FAKO 767 | Goal: 800+

Edits, funky spacing and spelling due to my iPad not getting along with the forum editor!

Message 8 of 29
bs6054
Valued Contributor

@Creditaddict wrote:

YES 3X current CL (up until recently it's always been 3x UNLESS that will put you over the $25k limit and supposedly you can't really do that without some paperwork and stuff but some have posted they have... not sure)

From recent discussion and experience:

1) If your current CL is $25K, any request for increase requires additional paperwork, in particular you need to send in a form so that they can get a transcript of your tax returns.

2) At least one person had a CL below $25K, and got a CLI that took him above 25K, without any additional paperwork.  However, not clear if this was an auto-CLI or one requested by the user.

One person who could have tested this decided not to because he already had a lot of open credit and didn't want to raise concerns with Amex....

Message 9 of 29
youngandcreditwrthy
Senior Contributor

I got my 3xcli at 61 days from acct opening exactly. I think you must have 61 days under your belt, as well as a good recent SP from Amex to get it. Don't wait, whatever you do!
Marriott PR$25k | BCE $24.5K |BankAmericard Visa $25k| BOA Better Bal $17.5k |Wmt Discover $12.5k | BR Visa $17.5k | Amex Delta Gold $10k | Discover IT $10k | Paypal Extras MC $15k | Amazon Store $10k|Smile Gen $7.25k | Dillard's $10k | West Elm $4k| Express $3.05K | Mypoints.com Visa $4.5k | Freedom Visa $1k| Amex Surpass $1k
Message 10 of 29
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.