Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

American Express Card

tag
smallfry
Senior Contributor

Re: American Express Card

Dempsy AmEx does issue revolvers as well as charge cards ya know.
Message 11 of 67
Anonymous
Not applicable

Yes, the Blue Card, so there is that option. I haven't used it so I can't say whether it is better or worse than competing revolvers.  

Message 12 of 67
Anonymous
Not applicable

@ladyvg270 wrote:

how did you get your score so high please give me some advice?

My credit history is 31 years one month old and that Visa card is still open.  I pay ontime etc.  Anyone can have a high score, you just have to pay ontime, never have a collection etc.

Message 13 of 67
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

Yes, the Blue Card, so there is that option. I haven't used it so I can't say whether it is better or worse than competing revolvers.  

... and the Blue Cash, and the Blue Sky, and the Delta SkyMiles Gold, and the Delta SkyMiles (Gold, Platinum and Reserve) and the Clear, and the JetBlue, and the Hilton HHonors, and the Costco TrueEarnings, and the Starwood card... yeah, there's quite a few AmEx so-called credit cards. But all evidence suggests they'd really rather you pay in full every month, regardless. 

Message 14 of 67
Anonymous
Not applicable

... apologies, Dempsy444, if the above looked like I was intending to be snarky with you. I promise I wasn't - all snarkiness was aimed in the direction of American Express, I promise!!
Message 15 of 67
Anonymous
Not applicable

Fevmio, no worries. No offense taken. You're right, they certainly have launched a lot of credit cards. They have kind of become the GM of credit cards: too many brands. My sense is they are really struggling internally on what direction the company should go. There are probably some who want Amex's image to be about affluent card members and elite membership if there is such a thing, and others who know they can't grow the business at the rate of Visa and Master Card with such a confining model, and therefore want to expand further into the revolving credit business. 

Message 16 of 67
score_building
Senior Contributor

Membership has its privileges...

Mark-MD wrote:

I do not know what all the hype is about AMEX. I never had the card. 

sorry Mark-MD, i couldn't resist, LOL. there's been some recent amex luv posts and must admit have mixed reviews of amex. Loved the brilliant advert campaign tho', (because ALMOST any one would want to have "privilege" they really did some outreach right ther', aint that nuthun' ? Smiley Very Happy

DCU EQ 5.0, Citi EQ 08 Bankcard, PenFed EX NG2
EX 08: AFCU, Amex, Chase, PSECU EX 98(?)
TU 08: Barclays, Discover
Message 17 of 67
Anonymous
Not applicable

I just got my Amex card back in September ( Optima Platinum) which I see has been removed from their site. I agree with another poster(s) their customer service is way better than any other card I have. I tried for years to get one and could never get one and finally they gave me one and have been very happy with them. I use the card almost exclusively for everything to get points.

I don't think they are just using the score anymore I think they've reverted back to the old way of doing things and actually look at your credit report rather than just taking your Fico score and relying on such a flawed system. Reason I think this is that when I was applying on the phone the woman who was extremely nice, went over some things with me and said my payment history was good and asked why I no longer had a mortgage ( I paid it off and paid cash for my next home). I was put on hold again and she came back and said I was approved. IMO I think more companies are bound to go back to the old tried and true way of offering credit by actually looking and ones credit report over using these stupid numbers as they do not project an actual picture of ones real credit history. I take a hit on my number because I no longer have a mortgage, which makes no sense. 

Message 18 of 67
haulingthescoreup
Moderator Emerita

Every CC company/ bank I've ever dealt with has looked at the report as well as the FICO score(s).

That's because a 720 can mean a respectable new credit user, a formerly troubled credit user now reforming, or last week's 820 credit user who just had a collection hit. The number's just part of the story.
* Credit is a wonderful servant, but a terrible master. * Who's the boss --you or your credit?
FICO's: EQ 781 - TU 793 - EX 779 (from PSECU) - Done credit hunting; having fun with credit gardening. - EQ 590 on 5/14/2007
Message 19 of 67
Anonymous
Not applicable

I love AMEX. I say jump and they say how high? Not literally but their service is far and above BETTER than any other card. A1 customer service by phone and they ALWAYS take my side in a dispute with a retailer/vendor....no questions asked...REFUND!!! Now I don't do this all the time but I pick my spots and do it carefully. AMEX has never not given me the credit back when I am pissed at a service. (ie. terrible service or food in a restaurant, disputes with vendors over agreed upon price, internet scams etc...) Once I took my skates in to be repaired and we agreed on a price but when I went back to pick them up, the dude at the counter said it was a different price all together?? **bleep**!! I grabbed my hockey skates, paid for them, told him that was not the rate I was quoted?? We argued and I said. "okay you have two choices you little punk, you can adjust the price to what was agreed upon or I can have AMEX do a chargeback?? Your choice!! He called my pluff and 2 days later my credit was given!! hella nice!! haaaaaaaaa!!! Never **bleep** with an AMEX GOLd card customer! I love AMEX and I spend $2000 per month with them and they provide me with free car rental insurance, conceirge and dispute rsoletions!! If the retailer doesn't take AMEX, I don't shop there! I will only use MasteCar dunless I have to and I do use debit cards sometimes too! Now it doesn't hurt that i spent, spent spend and have been a memeber since 2006!

[Edited to remove some inappropriate language.  I would also point out that this thread is over two years old. - Lel, FICO Forums moderator]

Message 20 of 67
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.