Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

American Express Corporate Advantage Program

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

American Express Corporate Advantage Program

So today I just received an email from American Express about how I have personal perks from Corporate card.  I can recieve a $150 annual statement credit for a Platinum card and a $100 annual statement for a Gold card.  The problem is I have both already.  She said I could apply for both if I wanted and then cancel my existing cards.  I asked her if you could have 2 Gold cards, Platinum cards, etc. with different account numbers and she said yes.  Does this make sense? Also, does anyone currently use these perks? I have read there are issues the second year recieving the statement credit.  I am inclined to do this for my Gold Card as it has only been open since July, but hesitant to do it with my Platinum card since I have have it open since '09 and don't want to lose my length of credit with it.  Also, any insight on closing a card within a few months of opening it? This would be my first time ever and my credit score now is around 830, around 150k of credit, with around 1% of monthly utilization.  Thanks for any insight anyone has to offer.

Message 1 of 15
14 REPLIES 14
NRB525
Super Contributor

Re: American Express Corporate Advantage Program

Through some obscure comments, within a thread, probably not even in the Credit Cards forum here ( Understanding FICO forum? ) I was clued in to the CAP earlier this year and it was the straw that finally pushed me to get Platinum.  The $150 credit posted a few months after opening.   So the $400 baseline is nice. 

I have a Gold card from 2015, at full fee. The AF just turned up for that one so it might make sense for me to reapply to get the reduced fee. 

If you only got your Gold a few months ago, be aware that AMEX now only refunds AF amounts within 30 days of the AF posting. Cancelling a Gold ( or any AMEX ) within the first 12 months is not a good idea. The CAP is in place permanent-like so there is no rush to get it. 

High Bal Jan 2009 $116k on $146k limits 80% Util.
Oct 2014 $46k on $127k 36% util EQ 722 TU 727 EX 727
April 2018 $18k on $344k 5% util EQ 806 TU 810 EX 812
Jan 2019 $7.6k on $360k EQ 832 TU 839 EX 831
March 2021 $33k on $312k EQ 796 TU 798 EX 801
May 2021 Paid all Installments and Mortgages, one new Mortgage EQ 761 TY 774 EX 777
April 2022 EQ=811 TU=807 EX=805 - TU VS 3.0 765
Message 2 of 15
NRB525
Super Contributor

I checked my link, for data points.  The offer is 35k MR to get a new Gold card, and it has language looking like a SP since I have other personal AMEX. The application screen is easy of course. The pop up window does appear clarifying that I currently have a Gold card, so no 35k MR SUB, which makes perfect sense. 

I decided to back out and not proceed. Even though this would result in a $100 reduction in my Gold card fees, it is another new account and with my 5/24 exceeded recently, I need to cool it for a while. The United card from Chase has some appeal, and British Airways is another intriguing card, so I would rather keep those options open.  

May 2021 Paid all Installments and Mortgages, one new Mortgage EQ 761 TY 774 EX 777
Message 3 of 15
UFGuy2006
Established Contributor

This is interesting. I also got the same email... had the gold card however I wanted to get the credit for that. SO I ended up upgrading my gold to Platinum (with an upgrade offer), then applied for the gold. Whats cool is I did not get the warning... not to say they won't hold the sign up back but maybe I'll get lucky.

Message 4 of 15
digitek
Established Contributor

I picked up the Gold on this offer earlier this year. The $100 credit didn't come through until almost 4 months later and they apologized for it taking so long and even threw in some interest, which I thought was very cool of them.

If you can use the GrubHub credit, airline credit and subtract the $100 CAP credit, Amex ends up paying you $70 to use the Gold card and you earn x4 MR on grocery and dining. That's tough to beat. Even better now that the Uber card changed.

Kind of lame that they can't apply the program to an existing card and make you open a new one 😩
Message 5 of 15
Anonymous
Not applicable

I got this offer as well. The offer for Platinum sign up bonus is 60k points. I can get 75k points through incognito without the $150 credit. It doesn’t seem beneficial to me. The Gold has a huge fee for no benefits so I would still have to pay a lot and have already had gold before.
Message 6 of 15
NRB525
Super Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:
I got this offer as well. The offer for Platinum sign up bonus is 60k points. I can get 75k points through incognito without the $150 credit. It doesn’t seem beneficial to me. The Gold has a huge fee for no benefits so I would still have to pay a lot and have already had gold before.

The SUB points are one time. The $150 annual credit goes as long as you are still employed and have a corp-issued AMEX. I valued that more than the 100k MR Platinum that I have never seen offered Smiley Happy

Message 7 of 15
Anonymous
Not applicable

@NRB525 wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

The SUB points are one time. The $150 annual credit goes as long as you are still employed and have a corp-issued AMEX. I valued that more than the 100k MR Platinum that I have never seen offered Smiley Happy

The 75k MR shows up whenever I am at work.   I guess yeah get the 75k bonus and then cancel after a year. And then sign up for this and get no bonus and it will give you a $150 credit. I  have only had the Ameripise version before. I am not flying out of anywhere that has a Centurian Lounge until July so I have no hurry to get this as I have Priotity Pass from other cards and they eliminated the gift card trick. 

Message 8 of 15
Namaste7
Established Contributor

@digitek wrote:
I picked up the Gold on this offer earlier this year. The $100 credit didn't come through until almost 4 months later and they apologized for it taking so long and even threw in some interest, which I thought was very cool of them.
[...]

Similar to @digitek, the $100 credit was delayed this year. Last year, I received the credit one statement cycle after the AF was charged. This year, I am told it may be reimbursed up to 84 days after Gold card anniversary date. Oh well....

~~MMXX~~
2024 Goal$
2023 Goal$
FICOs 760+
Message 9 of 15
Anonymous
Not applicable

AMEX Corporate Advantage Program Discounts

Some of you may already be aware of and are taking advantage of the AMEX CAP program. Essentially, if you're issued a corporate card through your company, you can apply for the Platinum and/or Gold Amex cards and get annual statement credits. $150 for Platinum and $100 for Gold. I discovered 2 interesting things today that some of you may already know but i'll still share for persons don't know:

1. This offer applies to ANY version of the Platinum card (vanilla, Schwab etc)
  2. You may apply this to EXISTING card accounts

I had both my Gold and Schwab Platinum cards before I was issued a corporate Green card and so I thought I would be ineligible. I contacted Amex via chat on their website and was pleasantly surprised that I am eligible for the credits on BOTH my cards. The rep said I'll see the credits in 2-4 days. Just like that, the annual fees on my Platinum and Gold cards have essentially been reduced to $400 and $150 respectively.

Hope this helps someone!

Message 10 of 15
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.