Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

American Express Green Approval Odds

tag
britthester
New Contributor

American Express Green Approval Odds

I currently have 4 accounts open (BofA CL $1500, Cap One CL $750, Discover CL $750, and Target Card $700). My oldest account, however, is only 1 year 1 month old. Can anyone tell me what my odds are for approval?
Message 1 of 12
11 REPLIES 11
daybreakgonesXe
Valued Contributor

Re: American Express Green Approval Odds

@britthester wrote:
I currently have 4 accounts open (BofA CL $1500, Cap One CL $750, Discover CL $750, and Target Card $700). My oldest account, however, is only 1 year 1 month old. Can anyone tell me what my odds are for approval?

More than likely Smiley Happy I would say a 99% chance. Trust me, people get approved for the green with much shorter history than you, and much much lower scores. You're good to go! Personally, I don't like annual fee cards, but if you're a big fan of AMEX and can justify the annual fee, then go for it!!!

Message 2 of 12
britthester
New Contributor

Wow! That's great! I was hoping I would have a great chance at approval, and it sounds like I would! In your opinion, would I have a shot at Amex Blue Cash Everyday? I've heard Amex can be stingy about who gets those cards since they want you to become a member through their charge cards. I'm just curious as to what my chances might be if I applied for one of their credit cards as opposed to their charge cards. Thanks for all the help!
Message 3 of 12
daybreakgonesXe
Valued Contributor

@britthester wrote:
Wow! That's great! I was hoping I would have a great chance at approval, and it sounds like I would! In your opinion, would I have a shot at Amex Blue Cash Everyday? I've heard Amex can be stingy about who gets those cards since they want you to become a member through their charge cards. I'm just curious as to what my chances might be if I applied for one of their credit cards as opposed to their charge cards. Thanks for all the help!

Usually when people on this forum are getting the charge card to have a better chance of approval for the revolver, that's because they have some COs and other baddies on their reports, not to mention low scores. Assuming you have no lates, COs, etc. on your reports, you're as good as gold for BCE! Your score seems good enough with the average approval ratings, and others have gotten approved with 680+ for BCE. So I think you'll be okay applying for a revolver right out of the blue Smiley Happy Sometime in the distant future I'm looking at a AMEX and Discover, and BCE will be my top pick if it's still around by then!

Message 4 of 12
webhopper
Moderator Emeritus

I think your odds are 99% for amex green and about 75% for BCE. Make sure your utilization is low low low when you apply.
FICO 9:
Filed Chapter 13 on 6/1/2017 after job loss. Discharged 6/1/2022.

Goal: Gardening!

Message 5 of 12
Dustink
Valued Contributor

I would pass on the high AF low reward green card.

Too many INQs & low AAoA so I'm off to tend the Garden.     Age:23    

$17k       $8.5K          Closed          $19k      $6.5k        $24.2k        Closed         $5k       Closed     $8.5k        Closed      @2.49%
Message 6 of 12
britthester
New Contributor

Yeah, i don't like the annual fee either. Do you think it would be wise, though, to wait a few more months before applying for Amex's credit cards?
Message 7 of 12
Dustink
Valued Contributor

No, it would be best to app now. You should lock in your 2012 member since date. All future AMEX cards will be back dated to 2012 if you get approved now. BCE or HHonors are okay no fee cards just to lock in your member year.

$17k       $8.5K          Closed          $19k      $6.5k        $24.2k        Closed         $5k       Closed     $8.5k        Closed      @2.49%
Message 8 of 12
Dustink
Valued Contributor

I would say you got a 50/50 shot at approval. Good luck!

Message 9 of 12
kekrre
Contributor

@britthester wrote:

I agree with others that I think you will likely be approved for a Green.

You might be able to get approved for the PRG, which has bonus categories and a 25000 point bonus after a few thousand in spend (I think it's $2k in 3 months, but I'm not sure, might be $3k). Since Amex charge cards are only issued as Amex products (with the exception of the non-advertised Mercedes Benz Platinum), the assumption is if you can get approved for any charge card, you can likely get approved for any other; there are stories of people with limited credit profiles/incomes getting Platinum cards (which isn't that bad a deal to keep, even with the $450/yr fee, if you actually fly maybe 4x+ a year on a single airline and don't otherwise have FF status, as they will refund $200/yr in baggage fees, inflight food, etc., even if you didn't purchase the tickets with the card, or if you didn't purchase the tickets at all - some people manage to turn the $200 into airline gift cards).

On the other hand, it seems as if credit cards have different approval standards, with Delta cards seeming to be easy and Blue cards seeming to be hard (which is, however, relative - what's your score?).

Of course, those are internet stories. I'm not a credit underwriter. Don't feel pressured to apply for a card you don't want or fear you may not qualify for because of me. I was approved for a Green with a similar card profile to yours, but a 5 year history. However, I wish I had applied for a PRG or Platinum at the time, as I will be ineligible for the sign-on bonus unless I go 90 days without an Amex charge product (maybe if I can pick up a revolver next year...).

|||||||
Message 10 of 12
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.