Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

American Express-Never?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

American Express-Never?

I filed a Chapter 7 bankruptcy in 2009 and yes American Express was included in that. Happy to report that I have rebuilt my credit, my credit score ranges between 754-800 (depending on which bureau you check) and that the 7 was wiped off my credit report about 2 years ago. 

Despite this, I have been turned down on two separate occasions since my discharge. 

I have asked AMEX if because I had a balance with them when I filed my bankruptcy if I would ever be eligible for a card. They would never answer my question, only that I could continue to apply every six months. 

So is there any reason to believe that AMEX will ever issue a card to me?

59 REPLIES 59
OmarGB9
Community Leader
Super Contributor

Re: American Express-Never?

Pretty much no, they won't issue you a card; you're blacklisted until you pay them back. Otherwise you can wait it out without paying them and you may be able to get back in, but that would take decades.

Last App: 1/10/2023
Penfed Gold Visa Card

Currently rebuilding as of 04/11/2019.

Starting FICO 8 Scores:

Current FICO 8 scores:

Message 2 of 60
Anonymous
Not applicable

Though I wish the answer was different, I appreciate the candor and honesty. Just grateful that others forgave me. 

Ironically I hear of others talking about annual fees and such while for me, an annual fee of virtually any amount would be of no consequence. 

Message 3 of 60
Brian_Earl_Spilner
Credit Mentor

I burned them for 11k. I don't know how soon they would have let me back in, but I applied 19 years later and was approved.

Message 4 of 60
Anonymous
Not applicable

Congrats! 19 years from my discharge will find me in the home with oatmeal dribbling out of the sides of my mouth ;-)

Message 5 of 60
Brian_Earl_Spilner
Credit Mentor

Well, I didn't think I would ever get back in until I found these forums. Probably would have never applied again.

Message 6 of 60
FinStar
Moderator Emeritus

@Anonymous - it's fairly possible, but no one knows how long you could remain on the AmEx blacklist.  Some folks have reported 10, 12, 15, 20, 30 years, etc.

How large were the AmEx balances?

Message 7 of 60
Anonymous
Not applicable

Between my corporate card (former business) and a personal card, approximately $20k.

Message 8 of 60
Shooting-For-800
Senior Contributor

@OmarGB9 wrote:

Pretty much no, they won't issue you a card; you're blacklisted until you pay them back. Otherwise you can wait it out without paying them and you may be able to get back in, but that would take decades.

I disagree with this.

OP - it will take a while but it is possible to back in.

Time heals all wounds.

Rebuild started in 2014  -  $100k unsecured credit in 2017  -  $500k unsecured credit in 2024.

DON'T WORK FOR CREDIT CARDS ... MAKE CREDIT CARDS WORK FOR YOU!

Message 9 of 60
pizza1
Community Leader
Super Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Between my corporate card (former business) and a personal card, approximately $20k.

@Anonymous , $20K is a big loss to them,  so Id imagine you'll be BL for many years.  If you paid they back in full, you could get in much quicker,   but $20K is a huge amount to pay back just to get a card again.  I would just throw out a yearly app until you're approved again.  Be prepared it could be years, so Id just move on to another lender for now. 

Message 10 of 60
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.