Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

American Express-Never?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: American Express-Never?

Though I disagree with it, I totally get why AMEX is holding my past sin against me but what gets me is-

1. I had a relationship with Wells Fargo Advisors and I always kept at least $100,000 in it. One reason I went with them is that they offered an AMEX card. When they denied me twice, I recently pulled the investment account and moved it to another advisory firm. 

2. My Transunion is 780, Equifax is 805 and my Experian is 754.

3. While I understand that something bad happened in my life and I as well as my creditors were hurt, shouldn't we all be given some grace and a second chance, especially a decade+ later.

No response needed, just ranting :-)

Message 11 of 60
Red1Blue
Super Contributor

Try if you can make a settlement for partial amount and see if they give you Amex Optima card. After having Optima for 12 months you would be eligible for regular card. Ask them and see what they say. You got nothing to loose by asking.

Message 12 of 60
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thank you @pizza1 Honestly the only reason I wanted to get back to AMEX is that I travel heavily and access to airline clubs is much easier with the right AMEX card. Fortunately, CapitalOne, Discover, BOA, and some others have given me a second chance.

@pizza1 wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Between my corporate card (former business) and a personal card, approximately $20k.

@Anonymous , $20K is a big loss to them,  so Id imagine you'll be BL for many years.  If you paid they back in full, you could get in much quicker,   but $20K is a huge amount to pay back just to get a card again.  I would just throw out a yearly app until you're approved again.  Be prepared it could be years, so Id just move on to another lender for now. 

Message 13 of 60
Anonymous
Not applicable

Good tip @Red1Blue, thank you! Dumb question. Who, or what department could I talk to about this? When I called after my prior denials the people were friendly but offered no useful information on how to move on. 

Message 14 of 60
dragontears
Senior Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Though I disagree with it, I totally get why AMEX is holding my past sin against me but what gets me is-

1. I had a relationship with Wells Fargo Advisors and I always kept at least $100,000 in it. One reason I went with them is that they offered an AMEX card. When they denied me twice, I recently pulled the investment account and moved it to another advisory firm. 

3. While I understand that something bad happened in my life and I as well as my creditors were hurt, shouldn't we all be given some grace and a second chance, especially a decade+ later.

Seriously, if I borrowed 20k from you and didn't pay you back how long would it be before you would loan me money again? 

Message 15 of 60
pizza1
Community Leader
Super Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Good tip @Red1Blue, thank you! Dumb question. Who, or what department could I talk to about this? When I called after my prior denials the people were friendly but offered no useful information on how to move on. 

@Anonymous , the Oasis/Optima program is invitation only, its not a card you can request.  Usually when you call the BK department, or their internal collections department, and you want to set up payments to pay back in full, once the past due account has been brought current, they have been known in the past to send snail mail offer of their Optima card (basically a rebuilder card to them).  There has been talk though that this program is going away, though we havent seen any real offical data yet from Amex.  

YOu dont have to pay them back.  This account was IIB, and they cant ever ask you to repay them, though you can volunteer to do so.  If this is so important to you, then your only means of getting back in are to PIF the past account, or just keep trying with a yearly app until approved. 

Message 16 of 60
blindambition
Senior Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

If WF denied the card, and not Amex, that's WF UW at work. Cards like WF Propel only use Amex network. They aren't backed by Amex, or correlate with previous Amex relationship.

Message 17 of 60
Red1Blue
Super Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Call their collections or ask CSR which department handles it. Read on this forum for Amex Optima.. You'll find lot of information. I had some issues in 2018 and I paid it back and got an Opitma card which will turn 12 months next week and hopefully I should be able to get a new amex card. It is not just by invitation. You can always ask for it.

Message 18 of 60
Red1Blue
Super Contributor

@pizza1 wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous , the Oasis/Optima program is invitation only, its not a card you can request.  Usually when you call the BK department, or their internal collections department, and you want to set up payments to pay back in full, once the past due account has been brought current, they have been known in the past to send snail mail offer of their Optima card (basically a rebuilder card to them).  There has been talk though that this program is going away, though we havent seen any real offical data yet from Amex.  

YOu dont have to pay them back.  This account was IIB, and they cant ever ask you to repay them, though you can voluntI have eer to do so.  If this is so important to you, then your only means of getting back in are to PIF the past account, or just keep trying with a yearly app until approved. 

I read posts some people made settlement with Amex and was able to get an Opitma. I guess it varies by people. In my case I made PIF for both accounts and got one Optima card.Luckily it will be 12 months old next month and I am out of Amex Optima Jail.

Message 19 of 60
Anonymous
Not applicable

Wrong person to ask as I am the king of sad stories, sucker at heart, and head cheerleader for second chances. I just loaned an old friend $10k even though he burned me about 4 years ago. 

Message 20 of 60
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.