Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

American Express-Never?

tag
gdale6
Moderator Emeritus

Re: American Express-Never?

Try at 15 yrs and every year thereafter at some point you will get back in.

Message 31 of 60
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hope so :-) Thank you!

@gdale6 wrote:

Try at 15 yrs and every year thereafter at some point you will get back in.

Message 32 of 60
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

I filed a Chapter 7 bankruptcy in 2009 and yes American Express was included in that. Happy to report that I have rebuilt my credit, my credit score ranges between 754-800 (depending on which bureau you check) and that the 7 was wiped off my credit report about 2 years ago. 

Despite this, I have been turned down on two separate occasions since my discharge. 

I have asked AMEX if because I had a balance with them when I filed my bankruptcy if I would ever be eligible for a card. They would never answer my question, only that I could continue to apply every six months. 

So is there any reason to believe that AMEX will ever issue a card to me?

Why do you just have to have an AMEX card? Just curious.

Message 33 of 60
Anonymous
Not applicable

I travel extensively, domestically and internationally. AMEX has greater acceptance wherever I have been plus depending on the card issued there are airport club advantages. At the suggestion of someone in this forum I did purchase airline club memberships to multiple airlines. Though cost is of no consequence to me, the process and tracking is a PITA but at least I have that option. 

Message 34 of 60
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

@blindambition wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Though I disagree with it, I totally get why AMEX is holding my past sin against me but what gets me is-

1. I had a relationship with Wells Fargo Advisors and I always kept at least $100,000 in it. One reason I went with them is that they offered an AMEX card. When they denied me twice, I recently pulled the investment account and moved it to another advisory firm. 

2. My Transunion is 780, Equifax is 805 and my Experian is 754.

3. While I understand that something bad happened in my life and I as well as my creditors were hurt, shouldn't we all be given some grace and a second chance, especially a decade+ later.

No response needed, just ranting :-)

If WF denied the card, and not Amex, that's WF UW at work. Cards like WF Propel only use Amex network. They aren't backed by Amex, or correlate with previous Amex relationship.

Just revisiting this.   Did you mean that Amex turned you down twice (when you applied for an Amex card from Amex)?  If so, that's sort of the opposite of what @blindambition wrote: this would be Amex turning you down with absolutely no relation to Wells Fargo (with no knowledge of any investments you have with them).   If that is the case, Wells Fargo got punished for something they had nothing to do with.   (of course, if Wells Fargo denied you for one of their Amex cards, then @blindambition comment stands!)

Message 35 of 60
sjt
Senior Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Though I wish the answer was different, I appreciate the candor and honesty. Just grateful that others forgave me. 

Ironically I hear of others talking about annual fees and such while for me, an annual fee of virtually any amount would be of no consequence. 

It depends on how much Amex took a loss for. If its under a certain threshold, they could be forgiving. You might try and apply and see what happens. If you are BL, then it wont be a HP.
American Express: Platinum Charge, Optima, Business Gold, Delta Business Reserve, Business Cash, Business Plus
Barclays: Arrival+ WEMC
Capital One: Savor WEMC, Venture X Visa Infinite
Chase: Freedom U Visa Signature, CSR Visa Infinite
Citibank: AAdvantage Platinum WEMC
Elan/US Bank: Fidelity Visa Signature
Credit Union: Cash Back Visa Signature
FICO 08: Score decrease between 26-41 points after auto payoff (11.01.21) FICO as of 5.23, EX: 812 / EQ: 825 / TU: 815
Message 36 of 60
Anonymous
Not applicable

They have made it abundantly clear that I will NEVER get an AMEX card, ever. Though not the answer that I had hoped for, at the very least I appreciate their honesty. 

Message 37 of 60
Wavester64
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Congrats! 19 years from my discharge will find me in the home with oatmeal dribbling out of the sides of my mouth ;-)

LMAO Smiley LOLSmiley LOL

Potential Future Cards
Message 38 of 60
DesertWanderer
Frequent Contributor

I know I am getting in late on this thread, but I burned Amex in a bk in 2006 and I got back in with them in December of 2019.  I had completely spaced the bk and was surprised when I received my card with "member since 2004" on it.  The card has grown a lot in the last year.  Don't give up hope!  Just spend your time (years....decade?) in time-out and you will eventually get back in!

Message 39 of 60
Anonymous
Not applicable

I appreciate that, sincerely, but after almost 12 years, I do not see any light at the end of the tunnel. 

Message 40 of 60
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.