cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

American Express PRG....ever really a keeper card?

tag
mkhan1093
Established Contributor

Re: American Express PRG....ever really a keeper card?

@simplynoir wrote:

@mkhan1093 wrote:

@Shadowfactor

In my personal experience, they don't care at all about things like that. To them, business cards and personal cards are essentially the same kind of product and I think calling one a business card is more for marketing's sake than it is for anything else.

People might have personal and business cards to seperate expenses for accounting purposes.

Yeah you're right about that, but that didn't seem to be the issue here. To me it seemed they were just a little apprehensive of what Amex would think if they moved personal spend from a personal to a business card; I was just saying that doesn't seem to be an issue.

Message 21 of 26
Anonymous
Not applicable

I couldn’t justify it for second year so I cancelled. It was a pretty card and offered decent returns but if just didn’t make any sense for me. I think if Amex added in another real life perk or two it would make it a true winner and keeper.
Message 22 of 26
Anonymous
Not applicable

That's kind of how I feel. I like the card. The fact that it's a charge card, the reward catergores, and I do like American Express for the intagible reasons (marketing works well on me apparently). If they made the credit easier to use, or added another easily used perk, definitley.  Or got rid of the $100 credit and knocked it down to $95. But can't obvioulsy because where would the green be then.

But as is, I feel like it's a good at earning reward points, with great customer service. But with a fee that doesn't make sense past the second year. A combo like a CSP and a freedom card will earn points just as well, but with a combined fee of still just $95, and primary rental insurance.  Yes, you can get 3x on the Amex for booking directly with airlines. But the 2x on the Chase for all travel might be more useful.

Of course having said that, I'll probably still get it at some point. lol

Message 23 of 26
Anonymous
Not applicable

I think it comes to who you fly with the most. I think if you fly with Delta the most then it is a good way to earn Delta miles. Also you get 100 travel credit and I hear they are good at giving retention offers.
Message 24 of 26
Anonymous
Not applicable

I was in the same position as you about a week ago. I ended up going for it. The 50k sub is great. I travel maybe like once a quarter. The thing was I have the 2% Fidelity and Uber 4% on restaurants but I got into the point system and looking to start racking up points. After the $100 credit it's about $95 a year. After breaking it down the MIN is $500 on those 50k points on travel. So I see it as it can pay off a $95 fee for up to 4 yeas, not including the 1st year no AF. I'm sure if I don't want to to keep it I can PC to a ED card and not damage AAoA.
Message 25 of 26
UncleB
Credit Mentor

@Anonymous wrote:
I'm sure if I don't want to to keep it I can PC to a ED card and not damage AAoA.

Unfortunately this won't be possible... you can only PC a charge card to another charge card, so for a PRG your only PC options would be to a Green or Platinum.

Message 26 of 26
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.