cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

American Express Platinum Cards Will No Longer Earn 2x Membership Rewards Points On Uber From Feb 1

tag
Berk
Established Contributor

Re: American Express Platinum Cards Will No Longer Earn 2x Membership Rewards Points On Uber From Fe

@Anonymous wrote:
I hope they get rid of Uber, raising my personal Platinum to $550 and adding what they consider a 'perk' to a person who already owns 7 cars isn't really adding anything but an extra $100 to his bill. I'd like to think I'm not the only customer who'll never step foot in a taxi or car service as long as Hertz is in business.

I'm with you on the Hertz thing as well. But when I want to go out on the town, I do love to Uber. Don't use the credits every month but I'm not going to get rid of my Plat even with the increase in AF so I'm pleased with the Uber credit.

And it would seem to me that you could recoup some of the AF by driving one of your 7 cars to where ever it is you have to go rather than renting one.

Message 11 of 28
gdale6
Moderator Emeritus

Re: American Express Platinum Cards Will No Longer Earn 2x Membership Rewards Points On Uber From Fe

This thread has been seen multi times by the mods and it has been determined it will remain in the CC section as it has relevance in this forum. Thank you.

Message 12 of 28
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:
I hope they get rid of Uber, raising my personal Platinum to $550 and adding what they consider a 'perk' to a person who already owns 7 cars isn't really adding anything but an extra $100 to his bill. I'd like to think I'm not the only customer who'll never step foot in a taxi or car service as long as Hertz is in business.

Wow.  Using Uber has nothing to do with whether a person has car(s) at their disposal, even if a rental.  Uber/Lyft are so you don't have the hassles of driving and can enjoy as many drinks as you wish and not be a danger to others on the roads.

I user Uber several times a week and I have (2) cars and (2) motorcycles.  I know many people owning multiple vehicles and rarely renting a car on business trips now.

Message 13 of 28
Anonymous
Not applicable

We travel between DTW, MCO, LAS, and LAX. Not driving cross country every few weeks or sitting in traffic on the 15, the 405 or I4 in a uber, no thanks. Absolutly worthless benefit.
Message 14 of 28
Berk
Established Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:
We travel between DTW, MCO, LAS, and LAX. Not driving cross country every few weeks or sitting in traffic on the 15, the 405 or I4 in a uber, no thanks. Absolutly worthless benefit.

Nope. Much rather sit in traffic in a rental. 

Which is fine by me. I'll take Uber every time - especially Orlando, Vegas, and LA. I still rent cars mind you in every city I go to. But if I'm going somewhere with a whole lot of traffic in a town I'm not all that familiar with, I'm happy to let someone drive for me.

Message 15 of 28
Anonymous
Not applicable

@joltdude wrote:

wonder if this is a bit of sour grapes due to the Uber credit card.....

This is spot on.  AMEX is very much like that.

Message 16 of 28
Anonymous
Not applicable

@gdale6 wrote:

This thread has been seen multi times by the mods and it has been determined it will remain in the CC section as it has relevance in this forum. Thank you.

For the purposes of transparity and credibility, could you please elaborate on what elements were used to make this determination?

Message 17 of 28
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

@gdale6 wrote:

For the purposes of transparity and credibility, could you please elaborate on what elements were used to make this determination?

Discussion of Moderator actions is a violation of MyFICO's Forums Terms of Service. :

• Discussion of moderator decisions or actions, or about the work of moderators, unless a moderator has invited members to post feedback in a particular thread. If you need to comment on a moderator action, please send a private message to any administrator or moderator. 

Multiple Moderators determined that the thread belongs in this forum because it involves the benefits of a credit card and there really isn't any more need for further discussion.

Message 18 of 28
Anonymous
Not applicable

I think Amex Platinum is mainly a status symbol.  Huge fee little in the way of benefit.  I have yet to be able to use any of the lounges.  They are always in another terminal than the one I am flying.  I am sure Uber is picking up most of the cost of the monthly credit. It would be one thing if they gave you the whole credit at once.  Got the Marriott status and seems like not able to get any benefit out of it in my trip next month to Aruba as the benefits don't seem to exist at resorts.  PRG seems like a better card.   Well at least I got the Ameprise version so I got 400 dollars worth of Southwest gift cards and no fees but I can't see a reason to renew it.  

Message 19 of 28
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Berk wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Good, replace it with dining and groceries. 

Platinum was never meant to be a dining and groceries reward card. 

Most travel cards have bonuses for dining. 

The Citi Prestige, Chase Sapphire Preffered, Chase Sapphire Reserve, Citi Premier, AMEX PRG, and BoA Premium Rewards. I think AMEX is far behind with adding this category.

AMEX is an issuer that likes grocery categories (three of their blue cards, both of their gray cards, PRG, all of their HIlton cards, their former Plenti card). 

You're confusing a travel rewards card with a travel perks card. The Amex Plat is the latter. 

No. Just no. 

It's a travel card, no need to get fancy.

Message 20 of 28
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.