Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

American Express Plum (no set limit) and its effect on my credit score

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

American Express Plum (no set limit) and its effect on my credit score

Ok I just got my small business card through American Express the Plum Card.  Here are the terms.  If you pay within ten days after the closing date you get a 1.5% credit back.  I plan on doing that every month.  So technically, I would only have new balances every billing period by always paying in full and never carry a balance from one statement to the next.  But until that payment went though I would have a balance of say 6,000 dollars for those few days. 

My 2 questions are. ..

1. How does FICO see this? If every statement has has somewhere around 5k each time but I pay it off right away will they see the 5k for the whole month until the new statement or will they see the zero balance as soon as the payment is credited.  Meaning will they only see statement balances or current balances.  It could be 5k for 31 days or it could be 5k then zero then w/e charges are shown until the next month. My guess is its the statement balance and thats it.

2.  How is my score affected by having a card with no limit.  If I charge my balance is 2 dollars or 20000 dollars my utilization percentage still is a function that cannot be calculated.  Will they ignore charges on this and just base it off the ammt of credit I have on other cards or will they some how factor this in?

Sorry if this is confusing, I am far far from an expert on credit. I barely understand how it works (which is why I dont use too much though I operate a business where I am buying and selling somewhere in the thousands any given notice). Please ask any questions you need of me to make this make more sense

Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6
Uncle_Money
Established Contributor

Re: American Express Plum (no set limit) and its effect on my credit score

Hi blyekinbly3,

Welcome to the forums!

I've been a Plum card holder for over 1 year. This card will not report to your personal credit history so no need to worry about it.

Amex will perform monthly reviews (sometimes twice per month) so be sure your reports remain clean with low utilization otherwise they will impose a low credit limit.

Overall, I'm satisfied with the card.

- UM

Personal: American Express Platinum - NPSL | American Express Blue Cash Preferred - $15,000 | Chase Sapphire Reserve - $38,500 | Chase Amazon Prime Visa - $7,200 | Chase Freedom - $500 | Barclaycard Arrival+ - $18,600 | PenFed Platinum Rewards - $25,000 | PenFed LOC - $10,000 | Navy Federal Credit Union Platinum Visa - $25,000 | Navy Federal Credit Union LOC - $10,000 | Citi Double Cash - $12,170 | Citizens Cash Back+ - $8,650 | Citizens LOC Overdraft - $8,000 | Discover - $10,000 | Capital One Quicksilver One - $3,600 | Capital One Platinum - $750 | Valero - $600 | Dell - $3,000 | Lowes Advantage - $30,000 | Macys Amex - $25,000 | The Home Depot - $7,500 | Tourneau - $15,000
Business: American Express Business Platinum Card - NPSL | American Express Plum Card - NPSL | American Express SimplyCash Plus - $10,000 | American Express Gold Card - NPSL | Bank of America Cash Rewards - $100,000 | Capital One Spark Business - $54,000 | Chase Business Preferred - $34,000 | Chase Business Ink - $15,000 | PNC Bank Cash Rewards Visa Signature - $19,000 | PNC LOC $100,000 | BP Business Solutions - $1,500 | KeyBank Mastercard - $6,000 | Staples More Account - $3,500

Message 2 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

What do you mean by low usage?  I plan on using this for business (buying and reselling of concert/sports tickets) so the charges rack up fairly quickly if there are a few hot tours.
Message 3 of 7
Red1Blue
Super Contributor

All American Express Business Cards does not report to your personal credit reports unless you default on the accounts.
Message 4 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

forgot to say thanks for the note about the business cards not reporting, so thanks for the heads up.
Message 5 of 7
Uncle_Money
Established Contributor

You're welcome.

I can tell you about my own personal experiences with the card. YMMV.

In the beginning, I used to charge several thousand dollars per month on the card. Amex would request that I make payments at random times. They do this to make sure you have the money to pay them back. If you charge big, be prepared to prove you can pay back. They will either request a payment before your due date or possibly request a financial review.

They will also check your credit report at least once per month to see what's happening with other creditors. Don't be alarmed, though because it won't affect your credit score.

This is a good card for the small business owner. The early pay feature can save you some $$ too.

- UM

Personal: American Express Platinum - NPSL | American Express Blue Cash Preferred - $15,000 | Chase Sapphire Reserve - $38,500 | Chase Amazon Prime Visa - $7,200 | Chase Freedom - $500 | Barclaycard Arrival+ - $18,600 | PenFed Platinum Rewards - $25,000 | PenFed LOC - $10,000 | Navy Federal Credit Union Platinum Visa - $25,000 | Navy Federal Credit Union LOC - $10,000 | Citi Double Cash - $12,170 | Citizens Cash Back+ - $8,650 | Citizens LOC Overdraft - $8,000 | Discover - $10,000 | Capital One Quicksilver One - $3,600 | Capital One Platinum - $750 | Valero - $600 | Dell - $3,000 | Lowes Advantage - $30,000 | Macys Amex - $25,000 | The Home Depot - $7,500 | Tourneau - $15,000
Business: American Express Business Platinum Card - NPSL | American Express Plum Card - NPSL | American Express SimplyCash Plus - $10,000 | American Express Gold Card - NPSL | Bank of America Cash Rewards - $100,000 | Capital One Spark Business - $54,000 | Chase Business Preferred - $34,000 | Chase Business Ink - $15,000 | PNC Bank Cash Rewards Visa Signature - $19,000 | PNC LOC $100,000 | BP Business Solutions - $1,500 | KeyBank Mastercard - $6,000 | Staples More Account - $3,500

Message 6 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

Cool thanks. If you pay off the balance because you are forced to will you still get the 1.5% or do you have to wait until billing has closed and pay within the ten days.
Message 7 of 7
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.