Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

American Express Pre Qualified

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

American Express Pre Qualified

I went to amex pre qualify offers and gave them last four of social etc. It came back with 

Good News you have sucessfully pre qualifed for the following cards 

Amex Everyday & Blue Cash Everyday 

How do I know how solid these offers are? 

Ex Fico 8 around 640

Eq Fico 8 Around 685

TU Fico 8 Around 660

Im nervous as I dont want to burn a hard pull if likely to be denied at this point. Any advice? 

Thanks 

Message 1 of 17
16 REPLIES 16
ridgebackpilot
Established Contributor

Re: American Express Pre Qualified

Pre-qualified doesn't necessarily mean pre-approved, but you might get approved.

Do you have any existing AMEX cards? If so, you can start the application process and the AMEX website will tell you whether you're pre-approved. Once you're an AMEX cardholder, they're famous for approving additional cards and CLIs with only a soft pull of your credit.

Good luck!

Message 2 of 17
Anonymous
Not applicable

I do not have any Amex cards yet.
Message 3 of 17
Brian_Earl_Spilner
Credit Mentor

You wouldn't normally qualify with EX at 640, but it has happened. Usually prequal is pretty solid. I'd say you can get the Delta Gold. I did, with a 641. My research says 640 is the cutoff for that card. I tried with a 635 and was denied, 8 days later when I had a 641, I was approved. BUT, you'll probably end up with a $500 or $1k limit which is hard to grow.

Message 4 of 17
Anonymous
Not applicable

Im thinking I might just hold off till my scores are higher for the Amex. Unless others chime in and know something I do not. 

Message 5 of 17
Anonymous
Not applicable

Do you have many other cards?
Anything in particular keeping your score down?

AMEX pretty much only ever uses your Experian score. They won't hard pull all three.

Would you mind going a little into the application process, but not actually submit it? If they show a single APR and not a range, that'd be a positive indicator.

640 is the very low end for an Amex card. If you can give more info, members may be able to spor things & give tips that'll help bump up your credit within a few months to have a safer chance at being approved.
Message 6 of 17
Anonymous
Not applicable

I would wait. You might get approved but be stuck at $1K for a long time. Some people get out in 61 days, some in 91, some in 181, and some don’t get out after a year. 

https://ficoforums.myfico.com/t5/Credit-Card-Applications/1000-Amex-cards-never-getting-CLI/td-p/513...

Message 7 of 17
Anonymous
Not applicable

On the pre qualification page it’s a range. Will it give any possible solids without actually submitting an app?

Experian has one old collection for $945 that is 6 years old. Last late pay was 1 year 9 months ago. Other report zero collections. I have 3 other cards that are reporting currently.
Message 8 of 17
Jnbmom
Credit Mentor

@Anonymous wrote:

I would wait. You might get approved but be stuck at $1K for a long time. Some people get out in 61 days, some in 91, some in 181, and some don’t get out after a year. 

https://ficoforums.myfico.com/t5/Credit-Card-Applications/1000-Amex-cards-never-getting-CLI/td-p/5139862

Or still waiting after a yearSmiley Embarassed

EXP 780 EQ 791TU 795
Message 9 of 17
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Jnbmom wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

https://ficoforums.myfico.com/t5/Credit-Card-Applications/1000-Amex-cards-never-getting-CLI/td-p/5139862

Or still waiting after a yearSmiley Embarassed

That’s what I said at the end of the sentence 😂 

Message 10 of 17
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.