Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

American Express Preapprovals (website)

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

American Express Preapprovals (website)

Every time I try to see online (americanexpress.com) if I'm "preapproved" for an American Express card, it says they have no preapprovals for me. I do have a 9 year old Chapter 7 bankruptcy, so I can understand that. However, my mother also checked online and it says they have no preapprovals for her either. Her fico scores are all 806 and above, so I don't know why that message would appear for her.

We are both opted out of preapproval offers. Could that be the reason? If someone is opted out of preapproval offers, how does that affect checking for preapprovals through the American Express website?

Thanks so much for any input you have! It's really appreciated. 

Message 1 of 22
21 REPLIES 21
debtfree09
Regular Contributor

Re: American Express Preapprovals (website)

Is American Express preapproval offers a soft pull or a hard pull?  Thanks in advance.
Message 2 of 22
Scamp
Valued Contributor

newsnerd wrote:

Every time I try to see online (americanexpress.com) if I'm "preapproved" for an American Express card, it says they have no preapprovals for me. I do have a 9 year old Chapter 7 bankruptcy, so I can understand that. However, my mother also checked online and it says they have no preapprovals for her either. Her fico scores are all 806 and above, so I don't know why that message would appear for her.

We are both opted out of preapproval offers. Could that be the reason? If someone is opted out of preapproval offers, how does that affect checking for preapprovals through the American Express website?

Thanks so much for any input you have! It's really appreciated. 

Yep - the opt-out is why you're not getting anything on the pre-app site.

You can opt back in if you're really keen to get an AmEx, but I hope you're aware of how, errm, squirrely they are to deal with, these days.  If you do opt back in, it does take a little while for things to sort out, so give it some time before trying again, if you do.

02/12/09 EX: 701 / 02/08/10 EQ: 719 / 02/08/10 TU: 723

Backdoor Numbers, Credit Scoring 101, Understanding Your FICO Score PDF
Message 3 of 22
Scamp
Valued Contributor

debtfree09 wrote:
Is American Express preapproval offers a soft pull or a hard pull?  Thanks in advance.

Soft inq - and seem to be fairly generic, from what I've seen in comparing offers with several other members.

Pretty much the same set of cards seem to be offered to everyone, with a very few variations.

02/12/09 EX: 701 / 02/08/10 EQ: 719 / 02/08/10 TU: 723

Backdoor Numbers, Credit Scoring 101, Understanding Your FICO Score PDF
Message 4 of 22
Anonymous
Not applicable

I have been opted out forever. After not having an open Amex card since college, I decided to get another one about 18 months ago. I apped blindly, with no preapprovals because of being opted out. As soon as I got my first card they started listing preapprovals. I'm not sure if that is because they start using their own internal algorithm after they have an open account with you or because they gather data with the soft pulls they do when you have an account with them, or both. I now have six open Amex accounts, all show as being 20 years old. Amex is best of breed when you want to add some age to your reports. My last three Amex approvals have been with EX locked. They actually called me and asked me which report I would like them to pull. Best of Breed! (just don't actually try to use the cards)
Message 5 of 22
mphan
Contributor

If you apped for amex and couldn't get one. They will soft pull you every single month after.

---------------
In 1900, if a father put a roof over his family's head, he was a success.
Today, it takes a roof, deck, pool, and 4-car garage. And that's just the vacation home.
---------------
Message 6 of 22
Anonymous
Not applicable

hobojon -

question for you.  Was your college card closed by you back then?  Any problems ever with that account?  I ask only because some people have had accounts closed by AMEX.  I was wondering if they get dated back to the original account if they ever get another.

Message Edited by txjohn on 04-11-2009 04:40 AM
Message 7 of 22
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

hobojon -

question for you.  Was your college card closed by you back then?  Any problems ever with that account?  I ask only because some people have had accounts closed by AMEX.  I was wondering if they get dated back to the original account if they ever get another.

Message Edited by txjohn on 04-11-2009 04:40 AM

Yes, I closed it at my own request to avoid an annual fee if I recall. Amex will backdate any members account to the date the first card that established a "member since" date with them was issued. As long as they didn't default on the card or include them in a BK they are good to go. The member since date can be based on an AU card or Corporate card as well. If the card was closed by Amex you generally cannot get reapproved for another card until 6 months have passed. Amex blacklists folks for AU status if they have ever defaulted or BK an Amex card as well. When/if you are given another card it will be backdated. In some case where you had an Amex card or were an AU on an Amex card so long ago that Amex has no record of it they may ask you to supply an account number for card services to pull up your member since date. In many cases they won't do that and will simply ask you what month and year shoould be on there. Amex is best of breed in that respect. To keep my average age up, every time I apply for a couple of new cards I follow it up with a new Amex card which gives me another 20 year old tradeline. 

Message 8 of 22
Anonymous
Not applicable

I guess this is off topic, but I have a friend who had an AMEX Gold that was included in BK in mid 90's.  He is afraid to even apply again.  If he paid the old balance, does this affect the blacklist, or is it done deal once BK? 
Message Edited by txjohn on 04-11-2009 06:00 AM
Message 9 of 22
manyquestions
Established Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:
I guess this is off topic, but I have a friend who had an AMEX Gold that was included in BK in mid 90's.  He is afraid to even apply again.  If he paid the old balance, does this affect the blacklist, or is it done deal once BK? 
Message Edited by txjohn on 04-11-2009 06:00 AM

There are posters who have reported doing that.  It would be illegal for AMEX to request payment for an account that was included in a BK, but it is OK for you to call and offer to pay.  So it has been reported by two or three people that they have done it.  It is something you need to call AMEX about, and maybe call them a couple of times untill you find someone who knows what you are talking about because it is not a common thing for them to deal with.  But yeah, it can be done.

Message 10 of 22
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.