Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

American Express - Push payment via Bank of America

tag
maninder89
Established Member

American Express - Push payment via Bank of America

I wanted to pay my Amex mid month but neither the AMEX bill pay site or pay by phone is allowing me to make the payment. I read somewhere in the forums that in such cases you can push the payment via your bank's bill pay facility . BoA Bill pay asks me to enter the acccount number as it appears on the statement. Is this my card number or the long number that appears on the bottom of the statement.

EX FICO - 770 (Lender pull - AMEX) Feb '13
 photo Wells-Fargo-Cash-Back-Credi_zpsb9d8097b.jpg
Message 1 of 10
9 REPLIES 9
RhubarbPie
New Contributor

Re: American Express - Push payment via Bank of America

Why is the site not allowing you to make a payment/what error message are you getting? I definitely pay my AMEX bill before its due on the website and don't ever have a problem (I do this for Delta Plat, PRG, and Costco Amex).

Message 2 of 10
snowkitty
Established Contributor

I'm curious as to why as well.....
TU Fico 714 | Sesame 742 | Credit Karma 762 | Wal-Mart FICO 734 | EX FICO 695 (1/28/13) | EQ 740 (3-21-13)

Amex Blue Sky 7.2k | Amex BCE 13.1k | Citi Diamond Preferred 10.2k | CSP 5k | Bofa Cash 9k | Boa Travel 10k | Discover More 3k | Chase SW 5k | Wal-Mart 3.3k | Amazon 5k | Old Navy Visa 5k | Shell 1200 | BP 400 | VS 1500 | Sam's Discover 8.5k | FNBO Amex 16k | Chase Freedom 1.3k | Home Depot 5k | Brylane Homes 1600 | BML 2820

App free since 12/11/13*
Message 3 of 10
BearOSO
Contributor

If it is a new account they normally limit how many payments you make your first month or so. 

Message 4 of 10
withaspark
Contributor

@maninder89 wrote:

I wanted to pay my Amex mid month but neither the AMEX bill pay site or pay by phone is allowing me to make the payment. I read somewhere in the forums that in such cases you can push the payment via your bank's bill pay facility . BoA Bill pay asks me to enter the acccount number as it appears on the statement. Is this my card number or the long number that appears on the bottom of the statement.

I've had to do the same thing before...Chase is even worse as it will only let you make one payment every 3 days now--so it really stinks if a charge posts 2 days before statement closing and you wanted a zero balance to report but were trying to avoid too many negative balance statements.

Your account number is your AMEX card number...straight off of the front of the card and it will credit your account correctly. Just use whatever payment address is on the statement if it still asks these days...though I would assume it will submit electronically anyways.

Message 5 of 10
Pilotdude
Established Contributor

Discover does a variation of this as well. 

If you make a payment within 3 days of another payment on the same account, it will hold that amount for up to 8 days from becoming available.

They still let you make the payment and they won't ding you for being late or anything, but it can be a PITA.

One phone call usually sorts it out at Discover though.

NFCU #1 Fan!! NO MOAR APPS TIL 10/13 Minimum!!
TU -746, EX - 721, EQ -745
Cards:NFCU Flag Visa Sig $10000, CSP $8500, AMEX BCP $2000 Freedom $3500, Disc IT $5000, Cap 1 Green $2100, Credit 1 CLOSED! AU on Amex Green, Discover $2000, Cap One Plat $1000
Message 6 of 10
maninder89
Established Member

@RhubarbPie wrote:

Why is the site not allowing you to make a payment/what error message are you getting? I definitely pay my AMEX bill before its due on the website and don't ever have a problem (I do this for Delta Plat, PRG, and Costco Amex).

I think its because I have a new account. 

I will try to push a small payment today and see how it goes.. 

Message 7 of 10
maninder89
Established Member

@withaspark wrote:

@maninder89 wrote:

I've had to do the same thing before...Chase is even worse as it will only let you make one payment every 3 days now--so it really stinks if a charge posts 2 days before statement closing and you wanted a zero balance to report but were trying to avoid too many negative balance statements.

Your account number is your AMEX card number...straight off of the front of the card and it will credit your account correctly. Just use whatever payment address is on the statement if it still asks these days...though I would assume it will submit electronically anyways.

Thanks I will try it and let everyone know what happened. 

Message 8 of 10
jamesdwi
Valued Contributor

After you add a new checking account to the AMEX online system, they allow only one payment via that accont for the first 30 days or a payment is due, they do this so that the payment can clear and the bank that the payment is drawn on can process the transaction and have time to complain about any issues that it has, apparently AMEX has gotten burned by this type of thing in the past.  You can push as many payments as you like without issues, I have never heard of issues when pushing payments. After the first 30 days with the new checking accounts you can make daily payments if you like, I have never seen AMEX complain about the amount of payments after the first 30 days. 

Cards: Chase Southwest 20k & CSR 17k & CSP 10k & FNBO 30k Oregon Duck 5k, & AMEX BCP 32.5k & Amex Magnet 15k&amg; Hilton Surpass 7.5k & Delta Gold 12k & Zync NPSL, Fidelity AMEX 17k Commerce5.9k & Cash Forward 7.5k & Sams Club MC 20k, Paypal Extras MC 10k, Paypal Credit 7.25k CapOne Venture 15k, QS 2.5k, QS 750, Amazon 10k, Walmart 10k, Citi Simplicity 18k, Discover IT 23k and a nice stack of store cards.
Landmarkcu Personal Loan 10k
Message 9 of 10
maninder89
Established Member

I did the Push way from BOA using my card number and it worked. I got an email saying AMEX received a payment and it should update in 24 hours.

The reason I wanted to be able to pay was that I am doing a flight purchase next week that will push me near my limit and I don't want AMEX to freak out.

I plan to pay as soon as it posts to the account.

Message 10 of 10
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.