cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

American Express Question

tag
samset93

Re: American Express Question

You should be eligible, I don't recall reading someone not eligible for a CLI due to their initial CL. That being said the YMMV part comes in when requesting that CL near the 25k line. You might have to fax it additional docs (last year's tax, etc).

The following often (but not always) are potential reasons why Amex asks for 4506T for a CLI request. 

• New requested credit limit exceeds $25,000 for that particular account.
  • New requested credit limit would make overall credit extended across all Amex revolving accounts exceed $34,500 (post 123)
  • High internal risk score due to income on file to overall credit across amex and non-amex accounts ratio being too low.
  • Unusual/large/manufactured/risky spending patterns.

This is from the sticky. But if I'm not mistaken someone just got a CLI to 30k insta approved on their Amex here. 

And again it's a SP so definitely go for it! Smiley Happy

Cap One Journey .5k auto CLI to .75k | Chase Freedom 1k | BestBuy Store Card 1.2k | MSU Federal Credit Union Visa 4k | Discover IT-Student 1k auto CLI to 1.3k | Amex BCE 2k CLI to 6k | CSP 5k
Message 11 of 14
Griselle
New Contributor

Thank you Smiley Happy I'm excited to at least try! I hope it at least counters with a 10k credit line so it can be my first 4 digit limit! Smiley Happy I have been cleaning up my credit for 3 years and have finally reached my goal of getting an Amex card.

As mentioned previously I may be moving over the limit from my slate card over to my freedom card so that I can have a 9k limit on just the one card. I may also close my orchard bank card....even though it's my oldest card, it has become completely useless to me and will not effect my utilization if closed. That way I can just have 4 major credit cards and a store card. No more app'ing for me.

American Express Blue Sky- 14,000 | BOA 123 Rewards- 12,000 | Chase Freedom- 7,000 | Chase Saphire Preferred- 7,000 | Best Buy Store Card- 2,400 | Discover More- 1,900

In the garden until 06/2014!!
Message 12 of 14
Odiseous
Frequent Contributor

@Griselle wrote:

Smiley Happy Thank you guys so much! I was thinking about leaving the slate open with a low limit so that when the promotional 0% APR goes out in December (it was 18 month promotion) than I can maybe switch it to a Saphire. Has anyone ever been able to do that? I know they switch the slate to a freedom but I already have a freedom. I know if I move most of the credit line and at least have a 8-9k Credit line on the Freedom that Amex will be a lot more likely to at least match that.

In my experience, AmEx has been the first to grant the higher limits.

I wasn't having any luck getting a card higher than $2k. However, once I pushed AmEx into the 5 digit column, using the 3x rule, other lenders quickly followed.

TU98 751, EQ 766, EX 766 (Lender)

If at first you don't succeed; Garden for 6 months, then try again.

Work the system. Don't let the system work you.
Message 13 of 14
Griselle
New Contributor

Yes! That is exactly what I needed to hear!! Thank you Smiley Happy I was just afraid that Amex would not be willing to take that risk unless they saw other cards in the high limit range. Did you get the 3x after your first 61 days? If you don't mind my asking what was your starting limit relative to your other limits and how much did you get on your first CLI?

American Express Blue Sky- 14,000 | BOA 123 Rewards- 12,000 | Chase Freedom- 7,000 | Chase Saphire Preferred- 7,000 | Best Buy Store Card- 2,400 | Discover More- 1,900

In the garden until 06/2014!!
Message 14 of 14
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.