Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

American Express Question

tag
takeshi74
Senior Contributor

Re: American Express Question

It's not just a matter of time.  You'd need to take care of the amount that they indicated is owed to them.

Message 11 of 14
Troll
Established Member

@takeshi74 wrote:

It's not just a matter of time.  You'd need to take care of the amount that they indicated is owed to them.

Now I am confused.  According to Creditaddict, I have to be offerred the oasis program to get back in their good graces.  When I called them, I was not offerred that.  Besides why would I pay the amount and not be able to get another card with them.  They were included within my BK.  I only owed them $1000, now it is $4000 so they say.  Like one of the responders stated, it is illegal for them to come after me for the amount I owe them.  That being said, I may not even be qualified to participate in the Oasis program.  Bottomline is - if I wanted to pay them.  How can I do that, when they are not allowed to collect from me because of BK?  Also, why would I pay them and then they tell me we will never give you a AMEX card.  Please explain.

EX: 747; EQ: 688; TU: 659 As of 1/19/2014
EX: 770; EQ: 699; TU: 689 As of 2/21/2014
EX: 780; EQ: 700; TU: 699 As of 4/1/2014
Bestbuy: 713 As of Jan 2014
Citibank: EQ: 693 As of Jan 31, 2014
Bestbuy: EQ: 645 As of Feb 2014
CreditKarma: 693 As of Apr 1, 2014
CitiBank: 697 As of Apr 1, 2014
Message 12 of 14
VegasKyle
Regular Contributor

@Troll wrote:

@takeshi74 wrote:

Now I am confused.  According to Creditaddict, I have to be offerred the oasis program to get back in their good graces.  When I called them, I was not offerred that.  Besides why would I pay the amount and not be able to get another card with them.  They were included within my BK.  I only owed them $1000, now it is $4000 so they say.  Like one of the responders stated, it is illegal for them to come after me for the amount I owe them.  That being said, I may not even be qualified to participate in the Oasis program.  Bottomline is - if I wanted to pay them.  How can I do that, when they are not allowed to collect from me because of BK?  Also, why would I pay them and then they tell me we will never give you a AMEX card.  Please explain.

I would ask them to break down the $4000 so you know where it is all coming from. Compound interest is a hell of a thing, I don't think its unreasonable for a $1k balance to turn into $4k in 7 years with fees and penalties added in.  Did they tell you they would never give you an AMEX card? Why don't you just ask them "if I pay the balance will I be eligible to open a new account with you?" I don't know the intricacies of BK law but it doesn't sound like they are making any attempt to collect the debt from you, you reached out to them. 

Starting Score: EQ 599, TU 577
Current Score: EQ 703 9/20/14(HI 741 on 5/13), TU 690 10/1/14 (HI 751 on 5/13), EX 700 10/1/14
Goal Score: 750+

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 13 of 14
Troll
Established Member

@VegasKyle wrote:

@Troll wrote:

@takeshi74 wrote:

I would ask them to break down the $4000 so you know where it is all coming from. Compound interest is a hell of a thing, I don't think its unreasonable for a $1k balance to turn into $4k in 7 years with fees and penalties added in.  Did they tell you they would never give you an AMEX card? Why don't you just ask them "if I pay the balance will I be eligible to open a new account with you?" I don't know the intricacies of BK law but it doesn't sound like they are making any attempt to collect the debt from you, you reached out to them. 

Correct, I did reach out to them.  I don't have a problem with paying the amount that I owe.  I was just wondering did anyone ever negotiated with them. 

You are right about asking them would I be eligible to open another account with them, but I don't want to be suckered into paying 4K and not have an opportunity to get a card in the future. 

EX: 747; EQ: 688; TU: 659 As of 1/19/2014
EX: 770; EQ: 699; TU: 689 As of 2/21/2014
EX: 780; EQ: 700; TU: 699 As of 4/1/2014
Bestbuy: 713 As of Jan 2014
Citibank: EQ: 693 As of Jan 31, 2014
Bestbuy: EQ: 645 As of Feb 2014
CreditKarma: 693 As of Apr 1, 2014
CitiBank: 697 As of Apr 1, 2014
Message 14 of 14
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.